Just diagnosed with borderline personality disorder

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had an assessment by a psychiatrist which I have been fighting to get through the NHS for over 2 years!

To add to my depression (from 13) I now have this diagnosis. I'm now thinking all the relationship breakdowns in my life - relationships, friends, family is all my fault - am I so awful and I've not realised it?? I mean my dad has disowned me practically for the list of symptoms of BPD. My mums dead - she understood me. She died 6 years ago when I was 30. From 18-30 she was my only mental health support and all I needed.

My 17 year old daughter has gone to live with her dad (only till September when she goes to uni). She left because she couldn't stand seeing me in this state. I've always hidden my depression but I just couldn't.

All the burden has fallen to my partner who has had to give up a uni course to look after me. I've had to hand in my notice.

I have no idea what I'm up against and constantly to tired to think about doing anything positive to help.

Even this message was incredibly hard. I'm lot talking to anyone.

Any advice on how to deal with the diagnosis or BPD? I've been offered mood stabilisers. No idea if I should take them. All the research says I shouldn't?? So confused.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sue 

You are having treatment and that is a good thing, you are not alone with the likes of your Father they have difficulties understanding Mental Illness and all I can suggest is continue on down the road that has been laid for you.

Do you have any understanding why you feel the way you do. To understand why can help you control your BPD

You have been given Mood Stabilisers, if you have been given them you need them so take your full dose. They will help and if the drug you have at this time does not work there are always others, although to take medications is very important.

BOB

• Posted

Hi sue. I also was diagnosed with bpd it's a hard diagnosis to accept. Have you ever thought about therapy instead of medication in some cases therapy can be more useful in the long run. Search DBT -dialectical behaviour therapy. I've had my child removed from my care because my moods were that extreme. I am having to under take therapy at the moment it's hard to live with as it's not something that has a cure it's something that is formed and something you have to try and manage positively but it's easier said than done

• Posted

Hi I hope you get this message as I know you probably wrote your reply such a long time ago. Things have happened and I haven’t been on here for such a long time I’ve only just seen these two replies. I just wanted to thank you for your words. Things are still incredibly difficult,  I seem to just lose everyone that I get close to, so it was lovely to read your message today. Thank you and I hope you’re doing well. Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.