Help for blepharitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

My eyes have been a good deal better, hardly notice them at all these days, since using lacrilube ointment to back up my anti histamine and blephagel.  My optician said to apply the lacrilube every night whether or not you are getting symptoms as it will pay dividends in the long run, with the anti histamine and a spot of blephagel whenever they are affected definitely seems to have as they have been largely clear for three weeks, if I stop the lacrilube, I notice a difference after about three days.  I don't know if this is any help?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Do you take the anti histamine as tablets or is it eye drops?   I manage better with Simple Eye ointment and use it every night. Lacrilube seemed to take forever to clear in the morning.   Well done for keeping up a treatment that is working for you.
    • Posted

Hi Marina, thanks for your response, I take the anti histamine cetrazine tablet daily, 30g, its been invaluable, as not only were my flare ups really frequent, usually once a week, but the situation of a daily basis, where they would stream and get very gritty and sore, was frankly intollerable and cetrizine stopped most of that.  I don't find any long term problems with the lacrilube, it does blur me a little for the first half hour but I figure thats worth it as it seems to work wonders for me, similarly.  I suppose there is no gain without pain, as they say.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thats interesting . My doctor gave me Rapitil eye drops but I always noticed that my eyes were better when I was taking anti histamine tabs as a preventative for the itching of mosquito bites. [ I react very badly to the bites.]   Did your doc recommend the tablets or is this just something you discovered yourself?  
    • Posted

Hi Marina, it was my GP, and the optician said about lacrilube but I think I discovered blephagel myself. I've been being so naughty though, I clean forgot to use my lacrilube for three nights running recently and now my eyes are sore as anything!! I just forgot, now using oodles of lube and gel to get to back where I started!! Silly me!! Proves the point though, it does work. Best wishes.

• Posted

Only forgot once to use my Simple ointment and once was enough to teach me a lesson.  Take care.
  • Posted

Hi Fiona

It's always good to hear a success story . I hope you can maintain your newfound relief . I am in the midst of a flareup and I'm coping better than I did during my last flareup , I guess it will have to be an incremental lesson in how to live with this condition . It sounds like you're not in the United States and I would have to substitute for blessed Joe the Systane nighttime Joe hand for the Lacri-Lube I could use an American equivalent . May I ask you how many milligrams of antihistamine works for you but you take every day as part of your maintenance routine also thanks for the tip about using comfort Joe every night regardless of the presence of symptoms I'll try that as soon as I get better thanks for sharing

• Posted

Hi Agnus, I have a 30g of cetrizine daily.  I sympathise, because I foolishly left off my lacrilube for three days, not noticing as my eyes were effectively cured, I am now having a flare up myself, feel so stupid, but lots of lacrilube and blephagel going on now as they have been streaming for two days, all weekend effectively, in future I will constantly nightly use my lacrilube, take care, Fiona
    • Posted

I'm sure you gals in the US can buy "Refresh Lacrilube" on line. Have you asked in your pharmacy Agnes? If they dont stock it do have a look online.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.