Dr. want to kill my thyroid!

Posted , 4 users are following.

My TSH 0.10,   T4 1.0,  T3 98,  Cholesterol is 145 mg.  Im 56 female.  I my be low, but I believe it's just a 'low normal'.  No symtoms at all..... and she wanted to give me a pill to kill my thyroid!!  Is this right?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

A low TSH indicates HYPERthyroidism.  For your other results, you need to post the ranges for normal for the lab that did your tests as they vary from lab to lab.  While I personally do not believe in the "kill your thyroid" treatment, you do have to take action to normalize your thyroid because if you do not, you run the risk of having a "thyroid storm" which is serious.  Many, if not most docs will want to go that route of killing your thyroid because that is how they are trained.  Usually, however, they try a course of thyroid hormone blocking drugs first and if that fails, then they resort to more serious treatments.  I told lmy Endocrinologist right from the get go that I would not do RAI or thyroid surgery and I stuck to my guns when they kept pushing for it.  On the thyroid hormone blocking drug Methimazole, my Free T3 and Free T4 normalized right away but my TSH remained at less than 0.001 for 2 years and then I added supplements to my medical treatment after reading a research paper on the benefits of hyperthyroid patients taking 3,000 to 4,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine.  I also was deficient in Vitamin D and low in Magnesium so I added 1,000 to 5,000 mg of vitamin D and 200 mg of Magnesium.  All my results are in the normal range now and I take a very low dose of Methimazole 2.5 mg (half of a tiny pill) 4 days a week now.  I feel good and there is no reason to "kill my thyroid".  Others have gone the totally naturopathic route by taking Bugleweed, Motherwort and Melissa and were able to normalize their results with that.  Your doc will not know anything about supplements.  That is not in their training.  You can tell your doc you are not willing to "kill your thyroid" and ask him or her if you are a candidate for medication.

• Posted

Thank you SO much for taking your time to respond.  I dont take anything in regards to vitimins, etc.  Im heading down to the health store now. smile

I will be talking to my doctor more directly, as this happened so fast, I havent had a chance to comprehend it or study about it.

Thank you again!

• Posted

Dan ...

What are you saying ...?

Why do you want to kill your healthy thyroid ... as that is no doubt what caused your situation in the first place !!

I know you're a believer in the power of self healing ... you helped me with my pain

Problem ... so just you get your head around all the info you've read on here ....

I'm so very sorry indeed that you're not feeling so great ..

but am I NOT right it's Graves' disease right ?

So it's an autoimmune antibody issue .. right ?

So you know the format

...... Linda's explanation and guidance is , as you know , first class !

So ... this is where you are ..and now you address the immune system !

B1

B12 sublingual ....must be

B complex

D3 softgells

With

Vitamin K

Acidophilus .. High dose

Vitamin C

Zinc & Copper

Magnesium

Selenium

Let's google all of those and

Also mention Thyroid or Graves' disease And you will find the benefits of taking .....

I.e. Magnesium for Graves' disease

Please don't go down that route

Dan .. my sister and 2 cousins are dreadfully ill with Hypothyroidism

And have no hope of a better life now ..

You are in a position to help your

Immune system .. not destroy your THYROID GLAND !!!🙀

Please go with us ... we are Eythyroid now ....and so will you be soon ...

Lots of love

Mx🌹

• Posted

You could start off with Carbimazole which is a drug but can get those antibodies to leave your thyroid in peace and pick it up from there .... once you start to reduce your symptoms ...

Let's get started Dan ...

Come on

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Sorry was thinking I was talking to danr
    • Posted

Just wanted to thank Linda for suggesting magnesium. It has really helped with my Graves! I'm ready to try L-Carnitine, but was wondering what was meant by "Regular"?

• Posted

There are different types of Carnitine.  There is Regular L-Carnitine, which is what the research paper was on.  It was used with hyperthyroid patients.  Then there is Acetyl-L-Carnitine.  This is really useful if your TSH is like 0 but it also comes with a word of caution because I have seen people on these Boards take it and not monitor it and very quickly they went very hypo.  That doesn't happen with the Regular L-Carnitine.  I have taken both.  The Regular L-Carnitine began to raise my TSH but the Acetyl just shot it right up in abour 3 weeks.  My Endo was shocked!  I would advise most people to try the Regular and save the Acetyl until much later.  The Regular also helps with muscle wasting.  When you are running hyper, you lose a lot of amino acids like Carnitine, vitamin D etc from your muscles through urination.  Once you are stable, you will keep these essential vitamins and minerals and feel better.

• Posted

Thank you so much, Linda. You are always so eager to help us. I hope you know we appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.