Devices to aid removal of mucus

Posted , 8 users are following.

What is a flutter

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

It is another name for the Acapella device. I wish there was something easier to use., but I am grateful for it.
  • Posted

Several flutter devices on the market. Check online or talk with your doctor or stores that sell these divices.

Have to use them correctly along with other activities like aersol saline, chest percision or broncodiators. Your doctor should be involived in making sure you do this correctly. Also need a script for meds, at least in the USA.

The flutter device helps break up mucous in you airways so that you can cough it up. Very important as you may know. Good luck.

Russ

• Posted

Hi Schatz, a flutter is a small pipe shaped device (as in pipe tobacco smoking) that has a lid with holes in it and a weighted ball in the bowl of the pipe.  You take a deep breath and blow down the pipe for about 10 seconds, the air escapes through the holes but the pressure of making the ball 'bobble' helps to break up the mucous in your lungs, you can then cough it up.  I do this twice a day.  Good luck.  Lizzy

• Posted

The flutter device is also called the Acappella device. It helps the mucus loosen up so we can expel easier.  The adult is usually green and it is best if one actually is shown how to use it correctly for it to work. I use my twice daily, more often if needed. It is also used by CF patients.  Someties when I wake up during the night because of so much mucus, I use it and it helps get it up and out.  It also needs to be cleaned daily, so having two is a good ideal. There should be some good video on Utube or something for you to view.  They taught me how to use correctly at National Jewish Hospital while I was there. 
    • Posted

I agree with what you say, you should be shown how to use it correctly but washing in warm soapy water and allowing it to air dry should be sufficient, they are too expensive to be given two.  By the way, mine is grey.
    • Posted

Hi , the Flutter device is diferent from the acappella devise , it has a meltel ball in it , the end result is the same , you get up the mucas, I have both these devises and the flutter works a lot better for me . if you Google the two names , you will get photos and advise on both.

Pam

• Posted

My first one was green...my second one was blue.  I don't know why the change.  Did I graduate or something? I only use it after the nebulizer, but I will try what you said because it would be less preparation and time sitting on the nebulizer. 

Thanks for the info.  

• Posted

No, No, Mary ann.  Still do after your neb treatments. That's what I do.  The neb meds loosen up the junk, too. I didn't go into much detail because it's important that folks use it correctly.  When I was at Natl Jewish Hospital, they had me do it after my neb treatments there.  And my pulm docs said the same thing.  Yes, washing them in soapy water is also good, they taught me to let it soak for awhile, that is why I have two.  My insurance paid for them.  

• Posted

Hi Schatz, it helps remove the mucus from your chest, i find this better than the acapella, if you put the word in google it will give you very detailed advise,

Pam

• Posted

For those of you who are in this discussion, which do you think is better:

The flutter device valve or the Accapela? I have only tried the Accapela and would be willing to purchase a flutter device if it is better. My pulmonologist gave me the first accapela. I have nothing  to compare.

• Posted

Hi Mary, same here i was given the Accapela by NHS, I purchaced the Flutter because i looked on internet it said it was smaller and I was looking for one to carry in my handbag incase i needed it. so I got one from the internet it was £62 with postage, but straight away I got better results with it and have not used the Accapela since. 

Pam.

• Posted

Hi Mary Ann. I use the acapella device. It actually vibrates my chest more and therefore loosens up the mucus.  I will say tha I also use "The Vest". This is another excellent device to use.  I think one should use what works best for them. If you try them see what seems to best for use.  Take care.

• Posted

I was wondering at what point did you decide to get "the Vest"?  Did your pulmonologist tell you that it was needed or did you buy it on your own? Is there a negative to going over to the Vest too soon? Does it make coughing easier by having the Vest do the work in bringing the mucus up higher in the chest? It is a coincidence that you brought this subject (the Vest) up since I have been researching it today.

• Posted

I use an acapella.

How long do most people spend each session

bringing up mucus?

• Posted

It takes me about 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I.recently started walking with the accapela to get the mucus moving. I think it may be working better. I stopped forcing the coughing because I was getting so much pain in ny back. Now I am letting it calm down and then go back another thirty minutes later. By then I usually have another feeling to cough again. That usually works for me, but I do find that I am getting more mucus upon waking which I didn't get before.

I have a question for all of you....did any of you make the decision to buy a percussion vest on your own without the advice of your doctor? When is it time to go over to it? Does it make coughing up mucus easier? It seems that it would prevent the blood in mucus and sore back. Am I right? For those of you who have the vest, please tell me the negatives. Is it better now than life before the. Vest? Thanks for your comments.

• Posted

Hi Trix, i spend 15 to 25 mins, up to four times a day, at the moment as i have just been to Lanzarote and the weather is better than damp UK, I am only needing twice a day.

Pam.

• Posted

Hi Pam, yes I have been using the "the vest" since 2010. The doc at cleveland clinic said my bx was worse than the tbm.  It has helped me. I do my neb while I am doing the vest. It actually simulates a cough like 10 thousand times more than what we can do. It is supposed to shake the mucus from the walls so that we are able to expel it.  Yes, doc has to prescribe it and it has to be gauged correctly by someone that would come to your home to show you how to use it.  They are extremly costly. Mine cost 16K. (small down payment on a home) and it was not the most expensive one. I was lucky, however, my insurance at the time paid almost all of it. I paid less than 1K out of pocket.  I did see one on ebay and price was excellent. It would still have to be calibrated by someone, or you could even ask the companies that you deal with about used one. again, all this is through a doctor.

• Posted

Hi Pam

You normally clear your lungs for times a day!!  How do you manage

when you go out for longer than a few hours?

I take about 30 to 40 mins but only once a day.  I used to live in the

UK before I had BX and pseudomonas but now live in Australia.

• Posted

Hi Trix, I hardly ever go out for out for very long, as i feel drained and full of pain, on the very odd occation i have been out and needed to clear, I take my little flutter find a empty place and do my breathing , if need be for the huffing and coughing bit, I went to the ladies and shut the door, so I was not seen . 

Hugs Pam.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.