Shoe while in a CAM Boot

Posted , 8 users are following.

For those of you who have experience with a CAM boot, did you find it to be a lot higher than a regular shoe? It looks like it would be. Did it cause you problems with walking? Have any of you used the "Evenup" shoe balancer advertised on Amazon, or any other product like it? It fits around a regular shoe and adds height. It's not pretty, but it might work. However, it also looks like it might easily come loose from a shoe and cause more problems than it helps.

Any input you have would be appreciated. If all goes well I'll get out of the cast and into a boot on Feb. 21.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had 5 surgeries due to an ankle injury been in boot many times I am in one right now just had another surgery yes it is higher but nothing I can't deal with it just makes you limp a little it's up to you if you need to walk more evenly it's really no big deal but you do what makes you comfortable good luck

• Posted

Thanks for the information. I am a little worried about it because I've had a knee replacement on my right knee and I didn't know if the unevenness would cause a problem with the hip or knee. If you've done it several times it must not be too big of a problem.

• Posted

I've been in the boot multiple times, and every time I've just used my regular shoes, no even up or whatever...I've even worn flip flops. It doesn't paticularly bother me to be uneven, unless I'm trying to stand for long periods of time, so it's just never really been much I've even thought about.

But really, it's a matter of personal comfort. If ou find it uncomfortable for one foot/hip to be higher than the other, maybe find a higher shoe, like a tennis shoe, or try the even up. There are lots of things you can do!

• Posted

I hadn't thought about just standing. I don't normally stand still a lot, so maybe it will be ok. I can't wear flip-flops on a good day, much less with a boot. biggrin

• Posted

I'm a rebel and pretty much only wear flat shoes with no arch support...flip flops, flats, boots etc. Even though it's not good on the ankle, it's the only thing comfortable on my foot! But, I have very, vey flat feet, so that's why. My right foot has a teeny tiny wannabe arch, but my left foot is flat as a pancake. And the reason I think about just standing still is that I work in retail, so you're either walking like a madman or standing still doing nothing lol

• Posted

I used to have extremely high arches and wearing flip flops one summer caused me to develop terrible heel spurs. Now I only wear them after a pedicure.
    • Posted

Oh no! Flip flops are my best friends. Well, actually, I probably wear ballet flats more because they're cuter, but same idea..completely FLAT shoes, even though I was told years ago by my PT that I shouldn't. I tried my best, but the best I could/can do is Crocs. Back then it was just the one style, but now I've got 2 pairs of flats but they've got some support.

• Posted

Hi Becky, i've been in a cam boot for just over a week now. It is a lot higher than your average boot and I find it difficult and clumpy to wear and walk in.

However, just this evening, I was weight bearing without my crutches on a very short walk round to see my neighbour (it was snowing, so didn't want my crutches to slip) and found a way of walking comfortably in it. I was hobbling before but then I just tried to walk properly and it seemed to work!!

The boot has a curved sole so I presume the idea is to put the heel down first n roll it towards the toes and although I didn't think it would work, it did!!

Once I figure out tomorrow how I did it, I'll let you know! x

• Posted

The bottom of the boot does look like the MBT shoes that I used to wear. I sure wish I'd kept them because they probably would have been perfect for this.

• Posted

I just had to Google the MBT shoe, yes it's very similar at the bottom! x

• Posted

I am a big fan of the Even Up. I used it and loved it. It was easy to slip on a tennis shoe and once on, you can easily take it off, but I found you basically leave it on your shoe all the time, so you don't need to take it off the shoe until you are done with the CAM boot. I know lots of people on this site who used the Even Up too and loved it. I would highly recommend it. I also read about lots of people who didn't use it and wish they had because they were saying they were having knee and hip problems from walking off balance. 

• Posted

That's what I'm afraid of too. I can get one for $20 so maybe I should at least have one available.

• Posted

Definitely! You will love it and it's a great conversation piece too because everyone wonders what it is and wonders why it wasn't invented before now. If you are between sizes go for the slightly smaller ones so they stay tight on the shoes.

• Posted

Do you know if the Evenup runs a little small or a little large? My tennis shoes are a size 11 and the Evenup sizes are 9-11 or 11-13.5. I wear a narrow width, if that makes any difference.
    • Posted

My best guess is to with an 9-11, only because they run pretty true to size, but if you have to choose, you want them tight on your tennis shoe vs. loose, because I found you don't take them off too often on the tennis shoe until you are walking without the boot again and they do loosen a bit it you take them on and off too much because they are kind of rubberized and stretchy- but okay looking- not too bad. I noticed several of my shoes were more worn on the right foot vs. left after all this due to walking in one shoe (I injured my left ankle). smile  And another thing that worked really well for me is I got the Skechers Performance Women's Go Walk Slip-On Walking Shoes in both my size and a half sized bigger and wore the 1/2 size bigger on my injured foot, once out of the Cam boot, and the regular size on my normal foot. Those shoes were recommended to me on this site and another ankle break Facebook page. I loved them and still wear them because they are so comfy. Btw, I now can wear heels again, so life does get back to normal, although I prefer 2" and below now, because if I wear the really high heels I worry about tripping now and I feel the screws a bit afterward, because of their propped up position. 

• Posted

Thanks for the information and advice. I wondered about having to buy two different sizes of shoes for a while, but by the time I'm out of the boot maybe I can find some sandles that will adjust. I have to buy all my shoes online because nobody around here carries narrow widths in the stores. I haven't been about to wear heels since my knee replacement. Fortunately, I seldom go anywhere where heels would be appropriate.

• Posted

Sometimes the foot with the bad ankle takes months until the swelling goes down, that's why someone recommended to me to get a half size up for that foot and it really helped me for several months until all the swelling went away. I bought them online at amazon. I have somewhat narrow feet and they fit me fine. They are slip ons. I tried the adjustable sandals because a lot of people liked them but I didn't like the feeling on my ankle bone - the ones highly recommended by several people on the sites were Merrell Women's Terran Lattice II Sandal . I ended up with these slip ons instead : crocs Women's Meleen Sandal, which I could wear in the shower or by the pool. I found these super comfy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.