Eye Shingles

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just had my eyelid sewn together so that the shingles in the eye would heal. I would love to hear from people with shingles in their eye.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Oh my bless your heart .....I did have the virus in my eye and it was not a picnic. I went back and forth to eye dr. for a couple of months I wish you well
  • Posted

First time I have heard of this! How long do you have to stay like that. I have been dealing with aftermath of ocular singles sine September 2016 and still have pain, burning, and vision fluctuations throughout the day. Miserable disease.
    • Posted

Hi you have to figure out what's causing the main nerve to flair. Mine is sun wind and Stress!I've been dealing since October 2015

• Posted

It sure does flare up when I am stressed. The opthalmologist also put me on drops for very dry eyes...Evev the eye that is not affected by shingles is bloodshot and dry. Being out in the wind or cold does not seem to bother me and I am in Canada!
    • Posted

That's true. I have drops also. How's the weather. ? Just say your prayers not to get shingles again an for this to heal quickly. So u had it quarter panel so to speak.

• Posted

I am at the six month point so I have had problems for a long time. I got shingles this past sep and the rash only lasted a week.but I am left with the post herpetic neuralgia hence the burning pain behind my eye and on forehead. I have no patience with chronic pain and just want this gone but I have talked to people who have had PHN for years. No way of knowing how long it will last. My vision changes are also a problem as none of my glasses for distance work and the vision changes throughout the day.
    • Posted

Hi Millwood,

Have you been told there is any scarring on the cornea? I have been told this after almost a year!! Does your eye feel sore and itchy? my vision is ok but i worry about the future and if things might get worse! I am beginning to think that things are never going to improve!

• Posted

Anything is possible. Just try not to get too stressed out, this I've learned. I know u keep wondering whe does it stop. No one really knows. 😟 My eye is fine from shingle yes there is scarring an to a degree itching is a healing sign. To a point.take care

• Posted

Not been told there is any scarring YET! But I know things can show up later and I am not being followed often enough. Ophthalmology docs in Canada will only see people every few months it seems.
    • Posted

How long ago did you have shingles? I am guessing it was also in your eye and have you been told there is scarring?
    • Posted

I got shingles in Oct of 2015. Quarter panel that is. Top of my head down to nose all the way back to the ear. That's quarterpanel. There r still issues with main nerve which is corner of forehead itching an pain still active. Like it has a mind of its own😟

• Posted

That is such a long time to suffer, poor you, but I was also told that it can take months or years to get better, it sometimes doesn't, that is a horrible thought!!

• Posted

Hi Ruth,

I had shingles in my eye ( head and forehead) last March, and my eye is still so uncomfortale, I have been back and forward to the eye clinic for the last year, and at a recent appointment have been told that there is a scar on my cornea. I dread getting shingles again, i don't think I could cope with having it in my eye again as it is just awful and I still suffer every day with itching and soreness, especially on my eyelid right down to my eyelashes.! The only time I don't notice it is when I go out with friends or am occupied with work etc, It is so depressing wondering if my eye will ever feel normal again!! I was told that the pressures are good, and am grateful that my vision is ok, but hate the soreness. I have never heard of anyone having the eyelid sewn together, it sounds scary! Good luck to you ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.