I'm stage 3 CKD and I want to have a baby

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi...I'm 37 and have stage 3 CKD. At my last doctors visit the protein in my urine was down, but my creatine level was 1.48. I really want to have a baby. Has anyone here had a baby while in stage 3...if so how did everything work out?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I did.  I had one at stage 2 which caused the decline to stage 3 went along very nicely at this stage for a number of years then when I was 32 I decided I wanted a brother or sister for my daughter.  Your creatinine is recorded at 148 in the UK and that is higher than normal range but not really high.  Having a baby puts a stain on everything including your kidneys.  Is this your first baby? what has caused your CKD? both important factors.  Due to my condition my first baby stopped growing at 36 weeks I was induced and she was 5lb 8oz and ok after a bit of oxygen.  All good there.  My second pregnancy I was watch by the nephs like a hawk, they were not going to let me go past 30 weeks which terrifed me and I had steroid injections at 28 weeks for the babies lungs just in case.  I was doing ok except for swollen feet (the only time during my whole illness I have had swelling) I also had to inject myslef daily with heparin to thin my blood.  Anyway I got to 36 weeks again before I had to be induced and was happy with this as I knew all would be ok.  My little boy was 4lb 10oz but again was fine and was able to stay with me and no special care was required.  When he was 6 months old I started on my decline slowly at first but had issues with high potassium which meant a visit to the dietician and a change in diet (only do this if you are told as it is dangerous to lower things if your bloods are fine and has the same bad outcome) by January 2014 things were going downhill at a fair rate of knots and I was told in the April that within 18 months I would be on dialysis, I actually lasted 7 months and in the november I had my tenckhoff catheter fitted for PD.  I started dialysis in the December and did that until Septemeber 2016 when I had my transplant.  Are you looked after by a neph?  I guess the choice is yours but it is a risk and you have to make that decision if it is a risk you personally want to take.  You may be fine this is only my experience but I can in no way promise you that all will be ok.  I took the risk but I am glad I did it was he right thiing for me and my family and I dodn't regret it.  The way I saw it my kidneys would fail anyway as I have Alports so I may have just brought on the process sooner but I don't regret it I love my children they are beautiful and I am glad I have them.  You will just have to think what is best for you and your family.  I hope this helps smile

• Posted

Studies show that  Pre-existing proteinuria and hypertension in women both increase the risk of an accelerated decline in renal function during pregnancy and may have a 40% risk of a decline in renal function during pregnancy, which persisted after birth in about half of those affected. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.