Any info on results

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hoping someone can give me an idea of what I'm expecting before my doctor visit. Really freaking out.

I had a nuclear lasix renogram done last week to check my kidney function. The test was ordered because I have a severely scarred, super small, right kidney riddled with small stones. My left kidney is huge. 2 kidneys grew together as one and only one half works. I've been having severe pain all over my right side from front to back up to my neck. And, some bad edema on my left side. She also told me I have liver cirrhosis and I don't even drink.

Anyway, I've looked at the CD of the exam after having severe bloating and pain after the lasix. Been 2 days and I still hurt. The nurse called back and said I must keep a new follow up appt. She rescheduled it 4 days earlier than what it was originally set for.

All I can say is, my blood work is normal, expect for a high ALT. And, the test showed that my right kidney is functioning at 19.1 and the left at 80.9. The T1/2 for the right is 25 and 39 for the left. Is this a problem?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If you are in the UK and your results are recorded the same you would have a total kidney function of 100% (if your results are recorded the same) you say you have a high ALT but you haven't posted the actual figure so I can't advise on that without a figure. You can lead a perfectly normal life with one kidney.  Mrs O that posts on here has had only one kidney for quite a while and she is doing ok.  I have one sole transplanted kidney and I am good.  I would wait for your appointment and see what they have to say and take it from there.  Non of us are doctors on here so best see what the professionals have to say and then come back when you have some more info.  It is a scary time when you have tests and they throw up anomilies.  The fact your bloods are normal is a good sign, so try not to worry until you have seen the doctor and had your results explained in detail.

• Posted

T1/2 refers to time these kidneys to fall to 50% of the maximum activity. 

However many factors come into play, therefore its value is not standardized.

It depends on these: 

-presence or absence of obstruction

-level of function of the kidney in question,

-placement of the ROI around the whole kidney or just around the dilatated collecting system

-the radiopharmaceutical used in the study,

-the delay between administering the tracer and administering furosemide

- the method of hydration,

- the presence or absence of a bladder catheter,

- the dose of furosemide and

- the interval used to make the measurement.  

• Posted

Well, I saw my urologist today. Apparently, the right kidney is functioning less than 20%. I was told it's really doing nothing and it's very scarred, causing me pain, and full of stones. She believes the pain is because the kidney itself is infected. So, it would not show up in a urine culture. So, I received a referral to a surgeon. She said the best thing is to remove it. It will only keep producing stones and that won't help me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.