Diarrhea after gallbladder removal?

Posted , 77 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed January 25th. Been ok... i didn't really eat the first 3 days. Now that I'm eating 'normally' I'm having some stomach issues still after eating, I get diarrhea with in minutes of finishing a meal, I'm always hungry after! I feel like my food goes right through me... it's depressing that I can't even go out to dinner with my family at a restaurant because I have to run to the bathroom after I eat. Forget about car rides! I have to stop a gas stations sometimes to relive myself. It's so embarrassing! Not to mention inconvenient! Someone help! Is anyone else experiencing this!

8 likes, 182 replies

182 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Watch your diet for a few weeks , no milk, or greasy foods at first. Eat smaller meals , it's hard to do when you aren't used to it. I had mild depression after my gallbladder removed 8 weeks ago. I've had a rough road . But do allow yourself more time to heal verses what timeline people say you should be healing

• Edited

Hi

It's different for everyone, but my daughter had hers out the day after you & she had sickness & pain & her surgeon said it can take a few months to settle down. He said go dairy free & she has also gone free from but eats good fats like avocado & the Drs can prescribe bile supplements but he said most people settle in a few months then you can re introduce it slowly again.

She is very low and having to be off work so it is a bit of a shock and no one really tells you all about it.

You will get there but as everyone is diffuthere is no real timeline.

Hang in there

• Posted

I've been out of work on and off since December it sucks ! Having good and bad days , I stay sick worrying if I am going to have diarrhea or not . It is depressing. But hang in there. We will all get better 🙏🙏

• Edited

I also had my gallbladder out in December, been having diarrhea ever since unless I take something otherwise it's back to diarrhea ive tried bentyl, it worked for cramping but did nothing for diarrhea, next tried questran, the next day I seen my first solid turd I was so thrilled, but at day 4 I got real bad burping I mean a lot felt like a pig ,then got bad reflux could feel the bile burning my throat I stopped taking it, I'm so tired of this I see doc in 3 weeks we will see what to do next, I'm not hungry hardly at all, nauseated, always after morning diarrhea session which lasts at least 4 hours, then when I'm cleaned out I feel ok, but then it's time to try to eat something I've tried yoghurt, probiotics I must have went through 3 boxes ,fiber drinks,they just make my stomach queasy if anyone has any other suggestions let me hear them please, I've missed so much work with this, and cant keep going to doc, you have to keep paying them if they help you or not SORRY I'm rambling. Suggestions please

• Edited

Hi.  So nice to get a reply as I posted a long time ago..I am alright if I take 'Questran Light' powder ( on prescription).  I gather from my GP that 10% of us who have had gall bladder removed suffer from this explosive, urgent,  vile smelling and embarrassingly noisy diarrhea..which as someone else has posted is bright yellow bile. This burns like hell. Diet is suggested I know but it happens to me on the most bland of foods.  I have learnt to live with it over the last 5 years. My GP says, particularly over night, bile is forming and has no where to store any more so waits in the intestines until even the first drink in the morning sets off this ghastly condition.  Fatty food which I love of course makes this worse. I dont take this medication everyday only when I go out . I am considering taking it everyday as read somewhere on this forum that after a long while of taking this stuff one of the 'posters' no longer need it anymore.  I worry that when I am ancient ( or before) and cant move fast ( as speed is essential after a meal..miniutes even!) that I will be always in a ghastly mess!  These forums are amazing.  I was on one prior to havig a hip replacement and terrified and was reassured before, during and after for many weeks.

Cheesr DebbieLyn

• Posted

I just happen to read your post. I to have this problem and I have had my gallbladder removed for 7 years now. My problem with this as continued to progress over the years. I am so worried and concerned because my sister had the same thing happen to her after having her gallbladder removed. Her condition progressed as to it controlled her life, she lost weight, developed an autoimmune problem, dehydration , diverticulitis, and she tried changing her diet , medications, antibiotics, until after she almost died from lack of heart related problems because of vitamin deficiencies a hosptial Dr. had her to try "Questran Light", she thought she had found the life saver, taking it has it was prescribed. It caused her to have bowel blockage in the lower intestine. They unblocked her in the hospital and she blocked back up again. Then they decided to do a colopasty surgeon in order to bypass the intestines and keep nutrients inside her. The Dr. messed her surgery up and left a staple inside her which formed a hole, she later died from sepsis because of his mess up which he did not correct. What I'm saying is be VERY careful using Questran are any of the prescription medications. I am not sure the answer, which i am searching for as I have developed the same problem.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your sister, I had my gallbladder out last December had problems ever since, had the bile diarreah then I started reading, from everybody's posts I now take metamucil once a day and caltrate tablet only half with my meals and it's been a lot better I still have occasional nausea, i tried questran and got real bad side effects , doctor is like oh well, questran takes vitamins out of your body so be careful ,I still have to be near restroom in the mornings but hopefully my system adjusts , both metamucil and caltrate are over the counter cant hurt to give it a try. My gastro said thats the better way to go if it works for you

• Edited

I am so sorry to hear about your sisters passing. I had my gallbladder removal surgery 2007. I still have diarrhea and cramping. Like today I am so sick from stomach upset. In 2008 I weighed 278 today I weigh 187. I have lost 6 teeth since my surgery and I have to have 2 more pulled. My dentist said I'm not getting the nutrients I need. I have alot of hemmorids constantly. Does anybody have the same thing as I do?

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I have just been diagnosed with severe gallstones and it was suggested that I have my gallbladder removed. I have been researching and came across this site. It’s all negative reports I’m reading. Does it get any better?Are you maybe aware of any other alternatives or is surgery the only answer?

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Flavio

• Posted

Lynda, I'm so terribly sorry for the senseless loss of your dear sister. I agree with the Fodmap foods and am giving them a try - slowly - starting tomorrow. I ate one cup of salad for the first time since surgery today - bad idea. Debbie, I'm also sorry to hear you have gallstones. I waited for months for my surgical date with indescribable pain, so after having my gallbladder out five days ago I felt like my life would get back on track. If you have a wait time for your surgery like I had, I don't think it's a bad idea at all to see a nutritionist or dietitian to ask about other options. Even after this, I plan on seeing one or the other either way. I'd gotten so used to not eating that it's become stressful to think about eating! I'm terrified of food. I'm sure from the posts here there's plenty to build anxieties over! Everyone's different and before my surgery I limited what I read but now find some stories and advice encouraging. It's not so isolated a feeling now that the surgery is over and new symptoms/lifestyle choices and changes are coming into play. Be selective on what you read. Two people I know who've had the surgery experienced no lasting symptoms afterwards. One said she was in the bathroom for the first week, eats everything, and says she has had no issues since. The other never skipped a beat. Seems from site to site are contradictions. I'd say book the appointment while your symptoms aren't horrendous and while waiting go and see someone about alternative options. Best to you! 

• Posted

I just read this but have no experience with this medication: Ursodeoxycholic acid (a medicine used to dissolve gallstones or treat specific chronic liver diseases). Hope it helps!
    • Posted

Sparkly,  the patient hast to be on this medication for years, and there is no guaranty it will dissolve gallstones.  It also has troubling side effects.  It is rarely prescribed. xx
    • Posted

Hi .I was discharged last weekend after spending 7 days in hospital with acute chole cystitis. and have outpatient appt due in 6 weeks. Inpatient CT. And mri shows gallbladder full of tiny stones. there is no option other than surgery for me. As a trained nurse. I'd be daft to think otherwise .good luck

• Posted

I just had my own a week and a half ago. I assure you it wasn’t an option. If your stones get to large or block your bile ducts, you will not have an option. Given what you’ve said I would guess you are already having trouble. I, like almost everyone else, am having the diarrhea problem. It’s early on so am hoping it corrects itself, however, it makes life difficult when you can’t hold anything in. I hope this helps!
    • Posted

I to am a nurse and had emergency gallbladder surgery last Friday. Had a “massive stone” plus many smaller ones plus sludge. I gladly trade the pain I was in for the diarrhea which I pray is short lived!! Good luck to you
    • Posted

so sorry Linda to hear this I too had gall bladder removal dec 2016 started with diarrhea @9 months after surgery gp put me on Questran seemed ok then ,then sept 2017 they think I may have Diverticulitis having tests fed up 
    • Posted

Hey Karen,

I had my surgery 7 days ago. I've been experiencing bright yellow bile in all of my BMs since day 3. I'm hoping to find someone else who experienced this and did get better; as I'm starting to lose hope, that this will be permanent.

How are you doing these days?

• Posted

Where do I start! I’m a month out and have been back to the surgeon twice! I’m unable to eat due to nausea and overwhelming fill feeling! If I do eat within minutes it’s put one way or another. The doctor is ordering more tests as they feel this has gone on too long. My entire day yesterday consisted of 3 saltine crackers and a cup of ginger ale! I wish you the best! Good news is no pain I. Right upper quadrant but I could do without the rest! 
    • Posted

Hi Flavio, you got to weigh up the discomfort and pain you will be having due to gall stones. I had my gall bladder removed on 25 February 18 and I have felt a lot better for it but yes like all the previous posts I have experienced the dreaded diorreah and also the constipation but compared to the pain I had it is manageable. Watch your diet and eat as if you still have stones but the bonus is to treat yourself and have an amount of manageble fats but have no pain and no antacid to take every day. Good luck you will work it out and don't forget gall stones can be life threatening

• Edited

I was on Welchol and while it definitely works I was the few who had side effects. Sore throat headaches, and muscle aches /tired. I experimented with Psyllium Husks which soak up bile but they gave me some discomfort. I’ve now been on Acacia fiber. I bought it at Whole Foods, amazon has too. I take one tsp in a glass of water before I eat breakfast. I can also add one before bed . But it is working for sure it’s been 3 weeks of one movement a day. I also stay away from dairy- except for parm cheese, and fat free feta. Low lactose cheesss are best. I also try to stay away from Gluten, and drink only decaf espresso with almond milk. 
    • Posted

Thank you!!!!! for that info I have not tried any prescribed meds everyone has been talking about scared of the side effects but i will try this for sure where was you getting the Psyllium Husks?

I have been struggling for 27 yrs with this issue cant eat out, really has put a damper on my life for sure

• Posted

I get my psyllium from Trader Joe’s it’s now foods brand but I prefer using the Acacia Fiber from Whole Foods I believe Now foods makes it too. The Acacia doesn’t give me any bloating or cramping. 

Like I said I was in the minority that got side effects front wechol, I’m in NYC and my doctor said Welchol pill,  is usually the most tolerable of all the meds she didn’t want to try the powders she said like Questran on me.

Also remember diet is key. I think I ate too much fat free feta today and I feel reflux. You have to eat a lot of solvable fiber, Brussels sprouts, apples, buy gluten free bread there are tons. Lean meats, olive oil. Don’t eat two hours before bed. 

Start taking the fiber before bed after dinner with a few ounces of water. Then take some when you first wake up. Start slow with fiber especially Psyllium- like 1tsp, drink it quickly. I put water in my glass the powder and stir fast or it will thicken.  If you need more you can add some more mid day. 

• Posted

Thanks for the info on the fiber supplement I’m going to try this.
    • Posted

Hi I used questran for 18 months been amazing now I feel it’s stopped working very 2-3 weeks weeks I get back the bile D so I take Imodium and a few hours later questran to stop it ! I been reading on a fb page people who take Welchol for bile but I don’t think it’s avilable in Australia ! Anyone else questran stopped working 
    • Posted

I had my surgery over 2 years ago and didn't have problems until about 3 months ago. I have had pretty good luck taking a general digestive enzyme (not probiotics) right before I eat. Was using NOW super enzymes but ran out and just bought a new kind to try out. The one i got has about 13 or 14 different enzymes.

• Posted

I was so glad to read your description of this problem after gall bladder removal. I too suffer from the same side effect and have done since the removal 4 years ago. It is particularly problematic on holiday when eating breakfast out at a cafe. I have to always know where the closest toilet is. On the occasions I have been caught out, the pain and fear of loss of control of my bowels causes me severe distress to the point where I am close to collapse. Once I do reach the toilet I am helpless for almost 20 minutes. It is scary and shamefully embarrassing. I wish I had known this before I agreed to the op as although I had symptoms gall stones did not show up on xrays. This side effect is much worse than the occasional pain I had. I am visiting my surgeon after 4 years to let him know about my condition and the information I have discovered on this forum. Thank you to everyone who has posted but thank you to you DebbieLyn for your description which made me gasp!!

• Edited

I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago. Was suffering from daily bouts of diarrhea. Urgent, absolutely vile stench, noisy and full of mucus. Absolutely drained afterwards and could have slept for a week.

Tried every possible change to my diet - no fats, no carbs, no dairy etc., but no help at all. Then I happened upon an article by a woman who was in the same boat. SHe had discovered by accident that she had an intolerance to egg anything with egg as part of the ingredients or even used as a glaze when baking. She cut out the egg and never looked back. I was afraid to get too excited but tried cutting out egg and reading all ingredients and other names for egg. That was over a year ago and I have not looked back. Have my life back. Not afraid to go shopping, out for dinner, meet friends etc., Normal stools ever since and feeling so much healthier. My sister had her gallbladder removed years before me and was suffering the same. She has since cut out all egg products and is absolutely fine now.

Thankfully we are intolerant and not allergic.

Not saying this will be the problem for everyone but worth a shot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.