Wrist pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a carpenter, I have been diagnosed with RA but medication is not going too well.  I cannot get off the steroid tablets, I try to reduce them but then the pain is back.  Do you know if a wrist support would help? Is it best to keep the wrists warm or cold?  It's been a tough 12 months since diagnosis as I am trying different medication to help me, the steroid tablets are the best but not good for me. I also take a weekly injection, folic acid and Hydroxychloroquine plus steroids.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rayzor, sounds like you may need to speak with your doctor about changing your meds. If you've been on Plaqineil that long and it's not working, you need to try something else. I hope they don't have you on daily prednisone, that is a bad way to start in my opinion. You can get hooked on it and the withdrawals are horrible from what I hear. As far as warm or cold, I have found that most of the time warm works for me. I use a heating pad. There are other times when my shoulders feel so hot! then I try cold packs or use biofreeze creme. On the wrist support-- I don't think you want to immobilize it. When I had a flare in my shoulder, it was excruiating and I put my arm in a sling, thinking that would help. Doc told me no, don't ever do that. You want to keep the joint movable even if it hurts like hell. I understand keeping it still during a flare, but other times keep it moving as much as is bearable. Hope this helps and others chime in. We have a lot of "experts" on here that has been down this road a lot longer than I have. Good luck and let us know how you progress smile

• Posted

I use wrist supports and pressure gloves.They do help.must be tough trying to still maintain job as carpenter.I had to give up work as cook.I am on steroids for life so consultant says.I take calcichew D3 40 tablets with risonedrate for bones
    • Posted

I must add that I have had RA with Fibromyalgia for 6 years.Have tried different dmards and biologics. Am as good as it's going to get even thou I can't use hands doing anything without swelling and pain.Some days one hand is agony and I can't use. Maybe yours will be as good as gets and work balance will have to change to suit your needs.It's devastating to reach decisions like that but it's our health that will do that.

• Posted

Hi Rayzor

Just jumping in here to say. Maybe check your wrists for carpal tunnel as

It's quiet common with ra. I was blaming the RA for ages and I was in agony .

Turned out I had carpal tunnel and ra was making this worse .

Got the surgery 9 months ago and I haven't looked back .Still get some ra

Pain in my wrists but nothing compared to what I was getting

Good luck

• Posted

I'm in a similar situation. I am an artist and was diagnosed a year ago. Tried Plaquenil and Methotrexate so far but no better. I do use wrist braces when I paint, but take them off when I am not. It keeps me from pain the next day. I find that heat helps. Im on daily prednisone until they find something that works. It is the only thing that allows me to function. Next step is Humira. Hoping that works.

• Posted

Sometimes at night I use Hand Energizing Gloves by F****o.  They are more comfortable and lighter than the rigid splints, although they are not as supportive.  But, I think that you should be able to do some of your work while wearing them.  They are sold at the drugstore or you can get them online.
  • Posted

My wife takes nebutone daily and also remicade every 6 week's. Once a week methotrexate.

A brace for sure when your really over working it but you still need the excercise and movement. Warm forsure vs cold. She's done steroids, gold shots, cortisone. So many new RA meds that repair bone damage. She was talking with her infusion nurse and was told 4 more new meds. Prayers go out to you and the group.

• Posted

Hi Rayzor, I was on Hydroxicloroquine for a while but found it did nothing for me, I keep steroids on standby for a couple of days if I have a flare. You don't say what the injection is for but if not Methotrexate I would ask your Rheumatologist if it would be good for you. There are also biologic DMARDS they could try. These meds would be better than staying on Predislonone. I use wrist supports if I am doing anything that might aggravate them and also pressure gloves. I'm told that cotton sport wrist bands are good too and they wouldn't restrict you as much as those with a metal bar in.

• Posted

Definitely braces and and gloves. Keep in mind it takes a long time to get the proper meds. figured out and balanced. It took over two years for me to get to a good point. 
  • Posted

rayzor, my husband has gone down a very similar road as yours.He takes

weekly injections mtx,takes sulphasalazine,plaquenil and has just stopped

taking humira.He took for a few months and it didn't do much for him.

Dr has referred him to a pain clinic.Unfortunatly your line of work is hard

on the wrists and I agree with frances,at some point you will have to change

what you do.My husband is a machinest and in the beginning he had to have

other coworkers help him until all the meds kicked in,which took a good year

and a half.It's a matter of finding the right cocktail of meds.He loved the

prednisone when he was on in the beginning but river makes a great point

when you come off do expect the pain to be there a spell.I'm surprised your

dr has you on them regularly.It'll get better so hang in there until the meds

take effect,it can take quite awhile for some.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.