Depo and problems with my smear

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey I am probably worrying for nothing. 3 months ago I went for my smear whilst having it done I was told that the skin around it was very thin and red and should get it looked at if my smear comes back negative. It came back inconclusive so went for another last week. She said the same thing and that she wants a dr to look and may possible need to go to a gynaecologist to have my smear done. She did tell me not to worry and it is a known thing with the depo injection. Trying to have some idea what it could be I tried to google what she has said but there is nothing anywhere that says those symptoms could be caused by the depo injection but worse the only thing that comes up with a correlation between the 2 is cervical cancer. Has anyone else had this problem that has had depo? I was made aware of the possibility of increased chance of osteoporosis but not of Breast or cervical cancer which I have just been reading about. I am a little freaked out and just need some reassurance.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dont worry Danielle. Lots of women have these 'inconclusive" results for smears and it doesnt mean they have cancer. It is often referred to as a cervical erosion. A gynaecologist will probably take a good look and do a more thorough smear [which may make you bleed a little,so take a small pad or panty liner] and if the result is still "inconclusive" he/she may decide to  cauterise the cervix,to get rid of surface cells and let the normal cells grow again.  This is often done in outpatients. Are you in UK?

• Posted

Hi Marina thank you for that. My nurse didnt give me anything to go on so trying to get an idea was just brining up cancer. I am glad it may not be someting to worry too much about and i at least have a name for it. The biggest problem for me is not being given any information at all. at least i will sleep better tonight.

• Posted

I think we all think "cancer" when we have something that we have not experienced before.   Just be advised by your gynaecologist and maybe have a short list of all those questions ready to ask.    

• Posted

Well not sure when i will be able to find anything out. I was supposed to have an appointment for the nurse and dr at 8.30 this morning. I arrived and due to a system change it never got booked properly and the nurse doesn't arrive til 10.30. It is the. Nurses last month and is booked up and the surgery as it stands has no replacement so I don't know what to do.

• Posted

Is it possible for you to talk to your doctor on the phone?.Often you can leave a message and they will get back to you between seeing patients. The fault is with the practice and you shouldnt be made to wait an unduly long time.

Explain the situation to the receptionist without going into details, and try to get an appt with the doctor at least.  From the way you are talking I think you are in the UK?

• Posted

Yes I am in the U.K. I tried to get the nurse to ring me. I spoke to a receptionist this morning to was supposed to get the nurse to ring me so I took the day off and waited all day rang again at 5 to find the receptionist hadn't bothered to pass on the message for her to ring. The 2nd receptionist said she would get her to ring me this evening as she has a late clinic and she never rang. A full day wasted waiting for this phone all which never came. I just hope I don't miss it if she calls tomorrow as I can't take another day off.

• Posted

This is totally unacceptable. Are you able to go to the surgery in person? Dont be rude or angry but you must let them know  you are not happy with the way you are being treated and that you are worried as well and need to see a nurse or doctor.     Dont give up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.