Anyone have a cure for restless leg at night with Fibromyalgia

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone had  a solution for restless leg syndrome with Fibromyalgia. It is driving me crazy when I am trying to get some sort of sleep. I am not taking any medication as I have bad side effects!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Take lavender Epsom salt bath with baking soda. It helps detoxify and relax you before bed. 2 magnesium pills and I can usually sleep without restless leg.

I have also used biofreeze gel before bed when I had severe cramping. But this took longer for me to sleep.

• Posted

Hey I don't know about u but I drink a lot of tea. And 1 thing I found helped me most with my restless legs is goin de-caff. I broke my leg in September and noticed the restless legs got worse as I drank more tea being off work. Well now from that mine is almost completely gone apart from every now and then.

Oh and I must add I spend my life in the bath lol and when it comes to bed I use a electric blanket and a 12ft maternity pillow 😂.

Gd luck hope u get some relief

Xx

• Posted

I've dealt with people with restlessness leg syndrome and some say putting a bar if soap in a sock than placing it under your mattress where your legs are.They sware it is effective...it's worth a they. Old home remedy.

• Posted

Hi, I feel for you I really do.As others have said a bath in epsom salts

is nice way of relaxing.For sure back off the caffeine around mid day

as well as anything sweet.These are major triggers for restlessness.

Try looking up magnesium powder there is a specific brand my rheum

suggested called calm.I love smc's suggestion of electric blanket and

maternity pillow.I use electric mattress pad and a ton of pillows

• Posted

Hot bath and a Lyrica before bed...also making sure you do some leg exercises before bath to help flow blood and get the muscles working.
  • Posted

I have had resless leg syndrome for several years. At the beginning it was annoying as it was impossible to sit still to watch a film for example. I had to get up and walk about the room constanly to get somme relief. Going for brisk walks helped too, but with fibromalgia I think you can probably forget about brisk walks, if you are like me crossing the room can take a great effort, and leaves me exhausted. I couldn't sleep, my partner said that my legs were "on the move " all night like a rabbit running. I finally saw a neurologist and he prescribed Ropinirole. I started on a very small dose and increased it gradually. It made me nauseous, but my legs are calm now. I have tried cutting down from 4 mg each day because of the nausea, but over the years the restless leg syndrome has got much worse. Without the Roponirole now my entire body is racked with violent spasms, not just my legs, and I feel really unwell. The neurologist told me that Ropinirole is the only effective treatment for restless leg symdrome, but I would be interested to know if anyone has found an alternative for SEVERE restless leg syndrome, not just mild discomfort from time to time. Apparently it is another indication of Fibromalgia. I am also woken up with leg cramps several times each night if I dont take magnesium. It is also important to drink lots of fluid, that helps to avoid cramp. There are so many facets to this illness that it is a constant battle to try to keep all of the symptoms under control. I hope you find help for your restless legs because believe me, I understand what you are going through; constant uncontrollable spasms are exhausting and make sleep impossible. 

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry that you can't take medication because I take Mirapex and I don't have that issue anymore. I take it then stop. It takes a good while to come back and I take it again then stop. Unfortunately, I haven't tried or know of any other sources. Good luck with that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.