Terabinafine making me nervous

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking the oral pill for a month now for foot and nail fungus. Thankfully so far I haven't noticed any side effects but I am really afraid of them because I am a mother to small children. I saw death on the side effects list and I am really scared. Does anyone know if this is rare and not just out of the blue for a healthy person taking it? I'm 42 and healthy, I eat very healthy. Please help me calm down! I really want to be able to be barefoot or wear sandals again and nothing else has worked so far to cure this horrible fungal infection. I will have my blood checked in 45 days then in another 45 days and the doc said I will be on this for 6 to 9mths. I normally don't even take motrin so taking a drug is scary for me. Thanks, just looking for others taking it that can share positive experiences and assure me I will live! 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh and I am also using jublia on my toe nails once a day.
  • Posted

I am in the UK. I never took Terabinafin but was given Daktarin for my toe nails fungis.

After two day applying the cream I lost my taste buds, swallowed the yop layer off my tongue. Then my lips puffed up, my teeth slackened and I had a croaky voice. After two days application! My dentice removedfour teeth immediately and told me not to come back to till my mouth was heald. Then my doctor put me put me on Daktarin oral gel for my mouth. This gradually reduced the sweeling to my lips and gums.Then it calmed down my hot sensitive tongue starting from the tip gradually working backwards to my throat. I felt it was chaseing the problem down my throat as my speach was croaking worse, so I stopped taking the gel incase it sent the problem down into my lungs and stomache. Now 18 months later my taste buds are coming back, not quite right yet. I wash my toes twice daily and the redness is reducing but the toe nails are turning dark ane receding, My big right toe nail is nearly down to the quick. I went back to the Doctor, another Doctor in the Practice, about the redness and fungus toe nails and he gave me Daktarin! I am afraid I have no faith in the NHS of the UK and am keeping washing and creaming withCoconut oil. My toes are still bright red but when I stand on my floor tiles, Very chilly, the redness disapears till  have to put on shoes. I have read many cures but the latest one scared me. It says that the fungis is deep in ones body and you have to treat the body internally with pills. Side effect - if you get the wrong pills you will lose toes or feet or indeed legs.

Hobson's choice? No thank you. Where are the Doctors who know how to treat toe nail fungi?

• Posted

Sorry you had such awful side effects! I hope you find a way to rid the fungus! Thanks for your reply! I'm in the U.S.

• Posted

I am in the UK. I never took Terabinafin but was given Daktarin for my toe nails fungis.

After two day applying the cream I lost my taste buds, swallowed the yop layer off my tongue. Then my lips puffed up, my teeth slackened and I had a croaky voice. After two days application! My dentice removedfour teeth immediately and told me not to come back to till my mouth was heald. Then my doctor put me put me on Daktarin oral gel for my mouth. This gradually reduced the sweeling to my lips and gums.Then it calmed down my hot sensitive tongue starting from the tip gradually working backwards to my throat. I felt it was chaseing the problem down my throat as my speach was croaking worse, so I stopped taking the gel incase it sent the problem down into my lungs and stomache. Now 18 months later my taste buds are coming back, not quite right yet. I wash my toes twice daily and the redness is reducing but the toe nails are turning dark ane receding, My big right toe nail is nearly down to the quick. I went back to the Doctor, another Doctor in the Practice, about the redness and fungus toe nails and he gave me Daktarin! I am afraid I have no faith in the NHS of the UK and am keeping washing and creaming withCoconut oil. My toes are still bright red but when I stand on my floor tiles, Very chilly, the redness disapears till  have to put on shoes. I have read many cures but the latest one scared me. It says that the fungis is deep in ones body and you have to treat the body internally with pills. Side effect - if you get the wrong pills you will lose toes or feet or indeed legs.

Hobson's choice? No thank you. Where are the Doctors who know how to treat toe nail fungi?

• Posted

Hi marie72631, I am convinced your doctor has evaluated your situation and only started your treatment after coming to the conclusion that the therapeutic benefits of terbinafine outweigh possible risks and side effects. 

Terbinafine is a powerful drug that in very rare cases can cause liver injury (1 in 50,000 to 120,000 prescriptions). To prevent complications your liver profile will be checked at regular intervals. If you doctors should find that your liver values are not ok they will recommend stopping the medication (to give your liver time to recover). 

Liver injury usually occurs within 6 weeks of therapy. The fact that you tolerate the medication without a side effect so far is positive sign. 

The other thing is this: It is really important to get rid of the chronic fungal infection of your nails. Not only because it will improve the appearance of your nails but because other family members could get infected. A long-lasting infection of the nail can cause a thickening of the nail plate that can become painful in the future.

I was treated with oral Terbinafine and I was ok. Towards the end of the treatment period I experienced some gastro-intestinal side effects but I completed the course of Terbinafine and my toe nails recovered.

Other things you could do include:

1) Limit your consumption of alcohol to avoid putting unnecessary strain on your liver.

2) Use laundry disinfectant instead of fabric conditioner when you wash your socks and towels.  

3) Monitor yourself and inform your doctor should you get any side effects.  

I hope this information puts your worries into perspective and helps you relax again. 

• Posted

Thank you, that all makes me feel better! My doc expects me to be on it for 6-9mths it just sounds like so long to be damaging my liver. I did look up foods that promote a healthly liver and have been sure to include at least a couple from the list daily. She didn't say I couldn't have alchohol, coffee and chocolate but I have been reading I should avoid them so as of today I will give them all up while on this med.  I have been wondering about the best way to clean socks. Maybe a seperate load with bleach is something I need to do. My husband also has a nail fungus that started in the past year, not nearly as bad as mine but I keep urging him to see the podiotrist as well so we can both be clear of it and not rish giving it to our young children. We use  seperate bath from them thankfully. How long were you on this medicine? Did you do anything to clean your shoes on a daily basis? Thank you!

• Posted

You are welcome. You should urge your husband to treat the nail fungus. It is easier to treat in the initial stage. The treatment length depends on how fast the healthy nail replaces the infected one. Does you husband have only one affected nail? In that case he could try only topical treatment without having to take oral Terbinafine. I will send you a private message with detailed instructions how to maximise the efficiency of topical Terbinafine.

To avoid spreading the nail fungus infection it is very important not to share nail tools (scissors, clippers, nail files, brushes, etc). Also keep a separate set to trim affected nails and disinfect the tools e.g. with rubbing alcohol. 

Regarding laundry, bleach would be ok but it can only be used with light socks and towels. Laundry disinfectant can be used with dark and coloured items. 

To disinfect shoes you can use spray disinfectant, anti-fungal powder, or if you can wash the shoes then let them soak in water with laundry disinfectant. After your nail fungus is gone I would recommend replacing shoes that are worn without socks. Just to be safe. 

It is also best never to wear the same (closed) shoes on consecutive days. Fungi thrive in a moist environment and letting shoes dry makes it more unhospitable for them.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.