Recent anaemia diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just had some blood tests to see if I was menopausal. It turns out I am anaemic. Have a had a phone call from the receptionist telling me this and that I can buy my own otc iron or have a prescription. I am 53 and have a mirana coil so no periods. Shouldn't the question of why I'm anaemic be asked? Like am I bleeding from somewhere that I'm not aware of? Will be going to see my Gp as reluctant to just buy otc iron.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shar, although I'm older than you but for years my periods were blamed for my anaemia, so when my periods stopped and my anaemia got no better, further test were done as I can not hold on to my iron. You need to be seen by a haematologist, to put your mind at rest please go back to your GP. Do not be fobbed off. Take care.

• Posted

Whatever came of this? My experience was that I had a doctor who wanted to treat the symptoms, instead of, finding he problem/cause. It took a switch of my primary doctor to a doctor who wanted to do just that.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.