A week ago I reduced the Pred.dose

Posted , 6 users are following.

I reduced the preds. from 7mg to 6.5mg - over a period of 3 weeks -  a week ago and for the last 3 days I have had a very sore, tender itchy scalp especially in the evenings  and laying in bed is agonising.  I am desparate to reduced the preds. as it is over 2 years since I was diagnosed with GCA and was prescribed 60mg at that time.  Should I increase the dose - or should I ignore my scalp problem and "hope" that my eyesight will not be affected?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am on 8mg and have reduced from 40mg for GCA. I have not had any return of symptoms but at my last visit to rheumatologist I asked what action I should take in the event of a flare up and was advised to go back up to the dose that was working. Hope that helps!
  • Posted

I really don't think trusting to luck is a good idea!

But do try going back to where you were comfortable. YOu are now on a pretty low dose with few serious longterm side effects. The more realistic duration of GCA and PMR is anything up to about 5 years. Don't try to rush off pred - you run the risk of having to start back at a high dose again,

• Posted

Hi Mary, I also get that sore achy scalp,not itchy more like a burning tender pain and not even able to lie back on pillow, I would not taper any lower if pain still persists, stay until it goes and if it doesnt you may need to go up a bit to where it does go away.  Good luck,

Sharon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.