Locking hands and fingers.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. My lovely mum who has been diagnosed with RA for some 18 months now, is really getting increasing problems with her hands, fingers and thumbs which just suddenly lock up for no obvious reason, this happens during flares but also outside of flares. You can actually see her hands go completely stiff and thumbs cross right across her hand with fingers complete fixed. This lasts presently for a few minutes, sometimes more and then, eventually, the 'spasm' starts to ease a little. Does anyone else have the same experience? Many thanks for any responses in advance. So grateful to be able to chat with you all. Paula.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, yes i get this quite often too, mine goes away in a day & a half or 2days ,its horrible , im 49 ,ive been diagnosed with severe RA for 3 yrs now . 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Michaela. Sorry to hear of your troubles too but it's reassuring at least to know mum has some friends on this site that understand. Wishing you all the best. Paula.

• Posted

Hi Paula, I used to get this but only some fingers, it's like the tendons spasm, this was before I was diagnosed, later every time I closed my fingers they would crack badly like creaky doors. Since I've been on medication it's been better. Very stiff to move but no pain or spasms. I'm on MTX, and Cimzia biologic. Hope your Mum gets some relief with the meds she will be given too.

• Posted

Hi Mary.

thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry you have problems too but pleased to hear you have some relief from your meds. It's just so individual isn't it? Mums been diagnosed some 18 months now I guess and is now on MXT 25mg per week plus prednisolone 2.5mg for four days and 5mg for one day. We would love to ditch the steroids but just don't seem to be able to get it down lower than this without really bad flares. Thanks for sharing your spasm experience too, helpful to know mum isn't alone and wishing you well for the future. Paula.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.