Does these blood levels indicate that i have polycythemia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My WBC is 11.91 normal (4-11)

HGB is 174 (135-169)

HCT 51.2 (36-45)

PLT 283 (150-400)

I dont have others symptoms its all Ok just these levels terrify me that i possibly have polycythemia.

Im 23 years old.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello klea,

We aren't doctors, we are just a bunch of people with funny symptoms, so we can't tell you what is going on in your case.

The haematocrit is an indicator of the percentage of red blood cells in a given sample of blood. The haemoglobin is the red pigment in the blood which carries the oxygen around. White blood cells come in different types and perform different jobs. Some white blood cells fight disease, so if you have had a winter cough or cold they will be raised. Other types react to allergies, so if you have an allergic reaction to something they will be raised. Others react to inflammation, so if you have had a bad fall or a knock they will be raised.

The haematocrit is high. This indicates that your blood is carrying a lot of red blood cells and is too thick and sticky. It isn't good but it isn't something to work yourself up into a tizz about. Your doctor/haematologist will probably recommend that you have a venesection/ phlebotomy/blood draw (however they choose to call it) This will sort the problem out for a while.

I am due to go for a venesection, my first in five months, and I am looking forward to it because I know it will make me feel a lot brighter and more lively.

Don't worry. Your doctors will have everything in hand I am sure.

• Posted

Hi angela i relly appreciate that you replied to me i know that you are not doctors but when sombody thinks that can suffer from something and hears others that maybe have the same problem it is a relief..

Thanks a lot for your information I discussed this with the hematologist here and he told me that i probably have polycythemia.. I've done the test for jak2 but i dont have the results yet i must wait a week for them😔.

I wanted to know persons diagnosed with PV what values of HCT WBC RBC had?

Thanks again

Greetings from Macedonia

• Posted

Gosh, Macedonia! How exotic! Greetings from England...rolleyes

When I was first diagnosed, my HCT was 58.8, my WBC was 14.3, I don't know what my RBC was but my haemoglobin was 192. That was about a year ago. 

I was told to take 75mg of aspirin every day to thin the blood. I was given venesections, at first every ten days, then every two months and now, this week, will be the first in five months.

If you do have polycythaemia it's not so bad. At least, I don't find it so bad.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks a lot angela for your information..

I hope that everything will be OK

I wish you all the best..

Thanks again for helping me..😀

You are so lucky to live in England👍

• Posted

Hi Klea,

I am not a doctor, put a PV patient,

Your HCT level is high, you may need to ask your oncologist for a JAK2 test, Usually a PV patient will have positive in JAK2 mutation. ( more than 90 % of the PV patient have tested JAK2V617F  positive.

In my case, my oncologist say I have PV on the following,

Platelet : 702

HCT      : 49

JAK2V617F positive,

My oncologist prescribed Hydroxyurea for me , I take 500 mg twice a day. I also take Aspirin 81 mg once a day.

Now my platelet is 366, but my HCT is 49, Mar 2 2017, I will have full blood check. Will update the community, hopefully my HCT will come down...Richard Law

• Posted

Hi Richard

Thanks a lot for giving me more information.. hope that everything will be Ok as you wishes.

All the best and good luck in your next examination😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.