Have been bearing full weight while i was instructed for partal weight bearing.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had an accident and broke my right legs tibia. It was operated and a rod was inserted. The doctor had allowed me partial weight bearing after 6 weeks but i have been walking on my own since then. What could be possible effects of that? Is it really hazardous? I am really worried because the effects could be devastating as i have been told.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If a bone is still broken and you are causing it to flex, the healing may be such that circulation through the bone may not be restored, leading to bone tissue necrosis.

I'm surprised it's not painful to walk on, but depending on how much of the load is being sustained by the metal rod, the break might be immobilized up to a point.

But I would play it safe for several weeks minimum, since the early days of healing involve therepair of blood vessels that are needed to supply nutrients the bone needs, especially while it's healing.

If you're supposed to be using crutches, use them!

• Posted

Ah, this brings back happy memories.  I broke my tibia long ago.  After the cast was removed, I was told to use it "as much as possible" as this helps the bone to heal.

That summer, I dutifully climbed a mountain every weekend, despite the fact that the mending spot would feel like there was a burning brand inserted in it.  At the end of summer, I limped in to see my orthopedic surgeon and he could not quite believe it still hurt.  To test this he said "It doesn't hurt when I do this, does it?" (famous last doctor's words), sharply thumping me on the bottom of my heel.  "Yes!" I gasped, stunned by the pain. 

"Have you been using it?" he asked sternly.

I asssured him that I had and was taking long hikes.  

"Stop doing that," he said, explaining that (as Dan indicated) the movement at the site of the break would tear apart the healing bone.  He also explained that tibias are very slow to heal. 

My only ill-effect was delaying the healing.  With a rod, I would not think that the bone would be able to flex much. It may also depend on whether you are standing still or walking, and how much. But you certainly want to do whatever is necessary to allow the bone to heal properly. 

Definitely ask your doctor.   If you really need to be on your feet, maybe there is something you can use for partial support while the bone has a chance to heal.  

Incidentally, I don't know how you'd get a rod into the tibia, which is blocked by joints at both ends. Is this supposed to come out eventually?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.