Light sleeping , waking up every 1 hours , vivid dreams, and tired of it .

Posted , 2 users are following.

The last 5 months have been stressful

From a 7 year relationship breakup. To having a viral infection that was confused for a bacterial infection and was given and overload of antibiotics. Nothing helped until I went natural to try to fight some virus that has to this day left me with swollen tonsil

The problem now is that I'm the beginning of January two nights of not sleeping well has spiral into a mess.

From hearing it could be insomnia due to a reaction to antibiotics , or from supposedly glandular fever, swollen tonsils , or it could be due to anxiety/stress

I feel like I'm living in hell with no way out of this :,(

I'm thinking my sleeping problem has to do with high levels of anxiety since melatonin,trazadone ,Benadryl didn't work to help me sleep in January . The only thing that has helped me was Ativan or xanax .

I try not taking those drugs daily Ativan gives me 4-5hrs of straight sleep but after it's the light sleep

When I don't take them my sleep is so light and I'm a half/wake state . I wake up ever 1hr or maybe less and always off a vivid dream or don't even feel like I've been sleeping .

I don't seem to reach deep sleep in December I was sleeping fine my normal 7-9 hrs

Has anyone slept this way ??? I fear this will never go away but even then I try to tell myself things will get better .

Any advise would be appreciated . Can this really be anxiety or something else ???

Please help

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to add I'm seeing a sleep therapist (CBT) ,psychiatrist, and also a naturopath that thinks I might be high cortisol levels. My MD is also referring me to a ENT due to my tonsils .

I try to stay positive but this is crazy . I also notice sometimes at night I wake up sweating or my heart pounds when I close my eyes

• Posted

Interesting, and you have my sympathies. Do some research on cortisol, and what it is about.

I have similar issues, and am involved with my doctor, and a sleep clinic. I have long suspected cortisol as the culprit in my insomnia, due to high stress levels over long periods of time. Hats off to your naturopath for cutting through the chase, I wish I was that lucky. Best of luck.

• Posted

She tested my cortisol levels with a saliva test kit (morning , afternoon, evening , and night ) just waiting on the results

I suspect my crappy sleeping pattern has to do with anxiety and cortisol levels.

I'm trying to figure out what's going on . I hope you also find what's causing your issues

My sleep therapist said a lot has to do with our thoughts regarding sleep . We give too much power to insomnia ..

What have they told you about your insomnia ??

My psychiatrist tried to refer to a sleep study but my regular MD is hesitant and instead refer me to a ENT.

My psychiatrist wanted to rule out anything physical but suspects it might be anxiety

• Posted

They haven't said anything conclusive yet. I have seen many doctors over the past 14 years, we have tried many different strategies, and have been unsuccessful in finding my sleep. I take sleep medications.

The sleep clinic is new for me. I told my doctor I was tired of taking medications, and am really wanting to know what exactly is preventing me from falling asleep. If all their theories have run into dead ends then what else can I do?

The sleep clinic was the reply.

I was really pleased to see your post, and your reference to cortisol, because of all the research I've done myself over the past several years, the info very often refers to cortisol.

• Posted

I'm truly sorry you've been suffering with insomnia for so long sad I hope you find answers soon. You should definitely check your cortisol levels or try different venues . I only had this sleeping issue for a little over a months and it's torture .

Have you tried Behavioral cognitive therapy ? They said it works for insomnia

I'm trying every venue but my sleep pattern terrifies me. Waking up every hour and feels like I'm half awake / half asleep . With vivid dreams sad it's so scary

I tried trazadone , Benadryl , melatonin, and that didn't work only anxiety meds like Ativan puts me to sleep .

Wish there was a magic pill .

• Posted

I wish there was too.

Sleep clinic has me doing behavior cognitive therapy. It is all familiar to

me, I feel like I've already walked this path so many times over the years.

Taking a really good probiotic is good for coming off of antibiotics. There is actually a strain that is specific to that. Can't quite remember the name of it... Linda Vanderbilt? Product? Works really well. As does Bells bladder, and Yeast infection pills. Google will help you.

If you take several of those very deep breaths when you are feeling anxious it really does force your body to relax.

• Posted

Yea I started taking probiotics .

I honestly hate anxiety with a passion sad

Hopefully we find a fix for our problems . I had a similar sleeping problem before and I beat it . I was less anxious and stopped caring whether I slept or not . Then it went away just how I came. This time it's lingering sad

I'll try those exercises . Makes me wasn't a sleep study to

• Posted

Believe in yourself karlip0. You seem like a sensible person who cares about yourself.

It is awesome that you recognize the anxiety when it happens. Many people don't have that ability.

When you recognize it is happening, you can take back your emotional power, and help yourself.

Thank-you for sharing your struggles. You may not realize that you are helping people like myself look at our own situations, but you are. Hence, the power in these forums. Keep in touch, as will I.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.