Recovery time from full Abdomonal Hysterectomy?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

Ive posted before but on Jan 18th I had a full Abdominal Hysterectomy done due to a large (8pounds in weight) cyst coming from my left ovary. I am 45 and so as I had ovaries, cervix, appendix and part of the bowel removed I had to have a large incision from my belly button to my pubic bone.

It is now almost 4 weeks since the operation. I was in hospital for 5 days.

I started walking short distances after week 2 and on Sunday just gone I tried to go for a slightly longer walk but after only about 3 minutes I was in real pain and almost had to crawl home.

I feel like I have torn/ wrenched something in my left side (where the cyst was coming from.)  

I haven't walked since and have been resting but I want to start again but don't want to overdo it?!

i thought I would be more advanced than I am at this stage. I was hoping to be back at work in 2 weeks and driving etc but maybe I'm being too optimistic?Anyone that's had the same op could you please let me know how long it took you to,recover to drive and work etc?

Thank you.

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I think I've probably replied to you earlier. I've had similar op to you, ovary, tube and 7cm simple cyst removal via vertical cut. Now going into week 3 of recovery and things are getting easier. I still can't fit in my clothes comfortabley as I'm still bruised and swollen. Can't even wear a bra and now own the biggest pants ever!

I wear a Fitbit!!! and I am doing around a 1000 steps a day, not been able to walk outside the house due to clothing issue! I have good days and bad days, did quite a bit yesterday but today I have read in bed for 2 hours and now I'm sat writing this.

Sleep is anything from 3 to 7 hours but never all in one go......don't seem to be able to hold much in my bladder. I've never been a night visitor to the toilet except when I was heavily pregnant.

I've had a similar op around 5 years ago, but with a horizontal cut and went back to my desk job at 8 weeks post op........big mistake! I ended up doing overtime because I felt guilty folk had had to cover for me and ended up shattered, my emotions were all over the place and I really didn't do myself any favours or score any brownie points either! Moto.......health first = better recovery!

When I'm sat down relaxed and comfortable I feel "normal" and almost like a fraud but then when I try to do simple things like shower, put on socks or set the table, I realise I'm no where near recovered.

Get well soon but take your time. 👍

• Posted

You are expecting way too much of your body. You had major surgery, and if you want to heal and get back to normal you really have to rest and give it more time.

If you carry on overdoing it, you will just put yourself back and take longer getting better.

The pain you are getting is your body telling you to slow down.

Just think of all the cutting and stitching that's gone on inside, let alone the muscle layers, all you can see is the  skin incision.

You need a couple of months taking it easy, at least.

• Posted

Hi, I had a hysterectomy and bladder repair some years ago. At that time we were kept in hospital for 8-10 days and only allowed to walk around the wards where we were supervised. You're trying to do to much too soon, easy does it, build up the walking distance slowly until you feel comfortable after the walk on a regular basis. The pain you feel in your side will be the internal stitches and wound healing. Inside ones take much longer as they are not exposed to fresh air obviously. No work, driving, lifting etc for at least 3 months I was told. If you want to heal more quickly, rest as much as possible with feet up to take pressure of your abdomen ans stitches. Best wishes. x rolleyes

• Posted

I have been off now for 10 weeks after having both ovaries and tubes out, as I had a dermoid cyst. I was told that I couldn't have keyhole as there was a chance it could rupture and go into the stomach, So the full cut, which actually wasn't as big as I thought (roughly around 7cm).I am still in pain and this Mon I am going for another scan to see if all is ok. I think it is probably scar tissue, so probably can't do alot for it. I think I am just unlucky as nearly everyone seems to be back to work within the 6 weeks. I did lift a bag at 3 weeks which was a bit heavy but normally it wouldn't have felt that bad to lift, but as I did there was an excruciating pain on my right side and ever since have had pain in that groin and around the right side. I have told work that I will be back in a week and a half doing reduced hours for two weeks.... I am worried just incase it is too much, but I suppose I won't know until I do it.

You have had more out than me, so I would think recovery time would be longer, but hopefully yours will be straight forward. You have had major surgery and as I have discovered the inside takes longer to heal than we think.

Don't over do it as I did as it is so frustrating!

Hope you are soon well and back doing all the things you want to do.

• Posted

Hi Shazzi. Well I'm 6 weeks post op tomorrow and while walking on Sunday I suddenly felt intense pain on the left side of my abdomen ( where the cyst originated from.) I had only been walking slowly for 5 minutes. As a result I can't now leave the house and am in a lot of pain when moving.

It's so frustrating! I really hoped I'd be further forward than I am.

Like with your experience I guess I just need to rest more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.