Just how long does a catheter ablation for AF last?

Posted , 10 users are following.

After three attempts, I'm finally free of AF and living life to the full.

BUT... at the back of my mind is the lurking question I've never managed to ask is how long does the affect of a successful catheter ablation for AF last?

I've a feeling that it is not necesarily a permanent solution...and that the hearts electric signals can rewire themselves back into unhelpful mode.

Anyone know anything?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Ah there is hope for me then?    I hope so.        When you say 3 attempts do you mean 3 attempts at Ablation?        And if so what stage are you at after Number 3?   I'm also wondering if your question suggests that after Number 1 and 2 you were not living life to the full - is that right?   Your questions raises many more questions for me but I will stop there!                           It could possibly be permanent but I think its how long is a piece of string and yes signals can rewire wrong again but of course the more we mentally foucs on it won't the better I am sure. 

• Posted

My last ablation for AF was successful. First was a nightmare - sedated only on the table for just under 7 hours - all 4 blood arteries needed attention. Failed quite quickly, putting me back in hospital on a number of occasions when a GP got their hands when I visited for other reasons! Really annoying. 

2nd Ablation was shorter in length but alas same thing happened again, with me ending up in A&E's round the country as GP's sent me back into hospital. Last occasion saw me in a cardiology ward for 11 days. It turns out I was developing sepsis, which was upsetting the heart so everytime they sorted it out, I just went back into arrythmia.

Until the sepsis was spotted and dealt with that is! 

Third and final Ablation, different set of doctors, worked at last. Not a murmur from day 1. Bliss!

• Posted

You totally lucky guy. Some ablations last forever, some don't. Yours has worked so far, so take the life you have and wallow in it in joy. If it comes back you may end up like me - 78 years old, decades of chronic afib, annual bicycle vacations in Europe, daily exercise, as much sex as I can wheedle out of my spouse (same age as me), and life just gets better and better. Advice: do not honor this stupid disease by fretting over it. Treat it with disdain. Make it suffer. Best of everything to you.

• Posted

A female I am! But how could you tell from an animal name...I'm 67 and had my life blighted badly for 7/8 years, having suffered intermittent episodes since 30 yrs old. 

And I am living life to the full. Off to Namibia and the Kalahari in 3 weeks time!

• Posted

Sorry. But "guy" is an androgenous term these days. Okay, that's weak. I am soooo envious of you! We have never been to Africa. Everyone we know who has been to Southwest Africa is totally nuts about it and cannot keep still with the raving. Animals, animals, animals. What an opportunity. Have a great time.

• Posted

No need to make an excuse! What could I expect with a neutral animal name! Yeah Southern Africa is great...I've had good experiences in South Africa, Botswana and a previous visit to Namibia. I'm definetely an afrophile.

Storing up experiences for later if the AF comes back...Ugh! 

• Posted

My husband had MAZE surgery (a form of ablation) 7 years ago and remains free from afib. I had cryoablation in July 2016 and so far, so good. We have both been informed by our cardiologists and electrophysiologists that there is no certainty with any form of ablation and that afib can reappear. They also advise their are many patients for whom ablation eliminates afib on a permanent basis. I am expecting to be one of the success stories! If not, I will deal with it! 
  • Posted

Thinking about it if they quote results of 60% after 1 Ablation and more like 80% after 2 then there must be some permantely resolved surely! 
  • Posted

Hi mine lasted 6 years started to gradually get AF had my 2nd at Barts month ago thank God so far so good.
    • Posted

I'm getting my second ablation in a month. I'm scared, I'm in afib now, continuously since Christmas.  I am also 5'9 and somewhat overweight which I have been up and down 50 -100 lbs since age 18.  Usually gaining the weight back within three years after each loss.  I'm scared it won't work. Any thoughts?

• Posted

Had three cardioversions since 2010, 1st lasted a week, 2nd was 5 years and third (Sept 16) just 4 hours. Last Friday I had my 1st ablation at Barts and its just magic  and I only hope it lasts. Very impressed with Barts.
    • Posted

Long may it last for you! Having them fail is the pits truly!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.