Unending problems post infection(s)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am starting to slowly lose my sanity over this...

Last April I was diagnosed by a GP with a middle ear infection in my right ear. I was given 2 courses of oral antiobiotics (different antibiotics because the first wasn't working), and was told it was gone after 2 weeks. The feeling of pain/discomfort/blockage didn't go away over the next 4-6 weeks and in the process I saw a couple more GPs (was traveling) and a ENT who told me it was fine, that I needed to use a nasal spray daily and expand my tubes with the valsalva maneuver until it went away. After this I moved countries, changed insurance plans, and was flying every couple of weeks for my job.

The problem never went away.. it got a bit better, but kind of hit a plateau for the next 4-5 months. Then at the start of January, it was super bad again, and clear to me the infection was back (I now believe it never left or was there for some time). I went to an ENT here in my new country who again has diagnosed me with a middle ear infection. He also gave me 2 courses of antibiotics (this time oran and drops) in total for 14 days.

It's now been another 2.5 weeks (so in total with antiobiotics 5). He tells me the ear looks clear (from looking in it), and will get better with time, but I am really worried now.

The ear feels constantly strange... I chew gum, was using a spray for a week, and was performing the valsalva manuerver... but when I do, I am left with constant pressure inside my head just above the canal. I have the constant need to pop my tube, but it constantly crackles, expands a bit, and then pops right back (or thats the best way to describe it). I get this cosntant feeling of something inside my throat... like I am swallowing something between my throat and my ear, but it doesn't move through.

I still have to fly every couple of weeks ( I didn't during the antiobiotics due to his strong suggestion), but now it's difficult not to... he said it should be fine, but today with little sleep, my tube is super inflamed.

It's now been nearly a year, and beyond the discomfort, occasional pain, and whatever... I am literally going nuts from this. I am the edge of being depressed, fearing this will never get better...

Anyone have a similar situation? Suggestions?

My situation sucks, because I don't speak the local language (long story), and although my ENT seems ok and defintely takes this seriously... I am worried I am missing something... or basically am already screwed. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

mrkita and all.....

?I am starting to become a disbeliever in all of the remedies recommended....nothing works and I feel like I'm supporting pharma companies with all of what I've been through and the drugs and combinations of drugs I've taken.....I feel for you mrkita and everyone who is going through this medical  crisis....I've been through every therapy that all of you have tried and as I've said b4 the only relief I get is from taking a 1 mg Xanax 2 x daily. It distracts me and calms me down as this has brought on bouts of super anxiety..... I'm hanging all my hopes on the balloon dilation evaluation I'm having in 2 weeks and hope I'm a candidate.... it makes sense and hopefully will rid me of this horror show I've been going through for over a year now ! Wish me luck send out good karma universally and I'm very optimistic this procedure could be the answer,,,,I willl keep you all posted on my progresss. My best of hopes and wishes for all of you !

Peace,

Merlin

?p.s. Happy Valentines Day to all !!!!! 

• Posted

Which procedure is that, and what exactly is your problem? I'm sure it's similar, just trying to gauge if I should inquire here... (though would be hard with my insurance I think).

• Posted

Ihave ETD which in my case is animbalance of air in my eustachian tube.....clogged up w/air 24/7......the procedure is baloon dilation of the eustachian tube you can check it out on th web......YouTube has an entire video of the proedure ....might be a bit much to watch depending on your tsqueamish level let me know how you make out.......

Merlin

• Posted

I HAD a similar problem IN BOTH ears, only it was otitis externa.  Started early September, ear was irrigated by idiot in make believe ER.  I went to France (two planes) and woke up dear in my right ear, TERRIFYING.  Then four months of treatments by various ENTs, finally found one who knew what he was doing BUT the treatments were painful and scary.  Ears are "clear" now but not really since in my right ear there is some hearing obstruction that can be dislodged by valsalva maneuver HOWEVER ENT told me NOT TO DO THE VALSALVA MANEUVER.  I was doing it constantly when my ears were messed up (December and into January) and it has created Eustachian Tube Disorder (ETD) in both ears now!! DON'T DO THAT any more, no matter how bad you want to!  It won't help you and it will worsen your ETC.  Merlin17090 is having balloon dilation; my ENT is waiting for my hearing test results and then will decide what to do.  I don't know what country you're in but you obviously speak English so I'm thinking it isn't an English speaking country.  BE CAREFUL about "experts".  I would not let anyone but a trusted Dr. do a balloon dilation.  Meanwhile, I understand how you feel, this ear thing plus a serious life loss took me almost into the psych ward and I am now taking psychiatric med!  ETD caused by this sort of chronic ear problem can, I think, also self extinguish but it might take time!

• Posted

Hello,  don't hold your breath for a quick solution for Eustachian Dysfunction.

?I have suffered the same since 1994.  I see my ENT consultant twice yearly

?for check ups.  Blocked ears is such a horrible condition and unless the doctors

?have suffered this themselves they won't know just how   awful it is. I have tried

?everything possible.  Ask your doctor to give you a course of Prednisolone, using the reducing method.  You need to get rid of the inflammation.   The course I usually have given to me is a 3 week course.....must be reducing method though. When you've finished the tablets, ask for  Flixonase Nasules (lean your head over your bed  to administer)  Usually I use these for approximately 6 weeks, then go onto Flixanase Aqueous Nasal Spray.  My condition got so bad  1994 that the problem caused Pneumococcal Meningitis.  The mucus that sat in  my eustachian tubes turned bacterial, due to no drainage.  I suffer severe sinusitis, with allergies too, so isn't easy keeping this problem under control.  Rarely get ear infections, but would know when I did due to getting an earache, which I don't, but did prior to the meningitis.  I was put on antibiotics too late and lost the sight in my left eye and deaf in one ear too.  This problem should never be neglected !!

?On occasions I pop my ears to try and open the tubes, however, this has caused me to perforate the eardrum, I then see my consultant and he uses microsuction to remove all the fluid...usually very thick and nasty.  The feeling after this procedure has been done is wonderful.

?Don't get concerned mengitis will happen to you, as it's a very rare occurence if antibiotics are taken when ear infection is present.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Regards

?Anne (in England)

• Posted

I am starting to think I had a standing low grade infetion in and around the tube since last april. I was stupid about this... I was busy, stressed, and kind of just hoping with what the various doctors told me that it would get better with time. But even 3 months ago, when touching the inside of the Canal with a q-tip (something I don't do regularly), I realized it was quite painful. I assumed it was just inflamation, but yeah now I know better. What I don't understand is... how does liquid keep getting produced if the infection is gone? That doesn't make sense does it?

• Posted

My situation is similar, except for the frequent flying.  I also have some structural problems due to cleft palate repair that hampers drainage.  The anxiety and emotions are definitely a constant thread in these forums, and, if anything, I find solace knowing that I am not making any of this up and it is ears and not tumors, etc.

I have been to three different GPs and two ENTs, and it has reinforced the fact that doctors, while great at critical illnesses and maintenance, are ineffective with chronic problems.

I got some suggestions from a book written by Dr. Robert Ivker, but I am using a measured response since there are lots of suggestions for supplements and I am skeptical about them.  I have tried a few without much positive result; however, I am considering trying garlic since it is anti bacterial, fungal, and viral.  I quit using steroid nasal sprays since they just increased my anxiety and failed to relieve symptoms.  I have avoided antibiotics since I believe they worsen the problem.  I have slowly improved after eliminating dairy products; the assertion is that dairy can increase inflammation, which prevents mucous from draining. I quit popping my ears so much since I think that was causing more harm than good.  To me, exercises like weightlifting, biking, walking, and some running when the air is not too cruddy help me immensely.  I think the increased blood flow helps things drain and clear up for a time.  That is not an expert medical opinion, just something that works for me.

Maybe some of this will help.  But, as for the depression and loss of sanity, try to remember that you are not the only one.  Maybe that will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.