Can anybody say why my toenails are discolored and if it is a cause for concern?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Both of my big toes are discolored and have been for a while, basically a little bit black and brown/tan spots/stripes. I don't think I've done anything to injure them. 

Here is a picture: 

http://imgur.com/UYvpcnB 

Thanks 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi glenn987, could not view the pic via the link above.

You can upload pics directly via this site by using a PC computer or alternatively by enabling 'Desktop mode' before viewing this page on a mobile device.

You will have to reply to your own post and then click on the icon on the top right above the text input field to get to the 'Upload image' interface.

• Posted

Ah, thanks for the response, have uploaded it now.
    • Posted

A nail injury can occur without you immediately noticing. It happened to me while playing tennis. It can also happen while hiking downhill in ill-fitting boots. The injury can cause a (small) hematoma below the nail. It looks like a dark area or streak that eventually grows out.

Having said that, the right upper corner of you left (big) toe nail looks whitish and opaque. If you gently scrape in that area below the nailplate is the nail crumbly or smooth? If it crumbly then it is most likely a nail fungus infection.

You can check with a dermatologist. They can take a nail sample and view it under the microscope or grow a culture to confirm if it is indeed a nail fungus. Take care of it right away. It is much easier to treat it in the inital stage before the whole nail or several nails are affected.    

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.