Arthritis in neck causing noise in ear

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have arthritis in neck due to many years typing.  I am trying to play detective in working out what is causing and heart beat noise in ear and headache at base on skull  GP have done all sorts of heart tests and ruled out any problems there as I also have palpitations. I am now wondering whether my posture due to neck being pushed forward could be trapping a nerve or something along those lines.  Any ideas appreciated.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello youngatheart, I also typed for over 40 years an suffered greatly with pain in my neck, which radiated out to either shoulder.   After several GP's told me I had pulled a muscle (which I never believed), I eventually saw a neurosurgeon and had a bone fusion operation in my neck.   OK, I had to wear a collar for about six weeks, and wasn't allowed to even get in a car, let alone drive it, but all my pain had now gone.   However I didn't have heart beat noise and palpitations so I can't comment on those.   Good luck.   Madeleine.

• Posted

Hi, glad to hear you are pain free, that must feel wonderful, my GP just said to use heat pads and do some exercises which do not help.  If only we knew when we were  sitting in our typing pools how we would all end up. Take care
    • Posted

Sorry forget to mention, one minute blood pressure high, then ok, gp said I have white coat syndome as when they first check I am nervous. Will ask again next time I go.
  • Posted

Hi, I too have OA in the neck, probably due to the same reasons as you, having been desk based my whole working life.  I also have fibromyalgia-like problems and have had many recent tests, appointments with neurologist, rheumatologist, MRI, ultrasound, etc etc.  The ultrasound also showed up full thickness tears to bicep tendons (rotator cuff injury), possibly due also to wear and tear from keyboard/mouse use for so many years.  At my last appointment with the rheumy, I had just the symptoms you mentioned, whilst I was sitting talking to her.  I had like popping/pulse noises and feelings in my hear and a bit of a throbbing headache right at the bottom of the head - I didnt mention this as I thought it was maybe just anxiety due to the appointment.  Your comments have now made me wonder if it could be due to posture etc.  In the past I did yoga, chi gong, tai chi etc and my posture was excellent but since the onset of the fibro symptoms and also all the OA problems, I've not been able to do any physical exercise and my posture is now terrible, with rounded back and aching shoulders etc.  So maybe this could definitely be down to that.  I did have one physiotherapy appointment but they didnt do anything except discuss my OA and gave me a photocopied sheet of neck exercises.  I've been doing them but they arent much help unfortunately.  I've put off booking yet another appt with my GP as I'm heartily sick of so many medical appointments and never getting anywhere, I'm tired of it all to be honest.  Next time I see my doctor, I'll ask specifically about this issue too (the list is growing!)

• Posted

Hi Loxie, I too had the exercises which did not work, I was told to put hot pads on my neck and shoulders as it was wear and tear and nothing they can do about it.  My shoulders are bad when touched as I have fybro, I think arthrtiis/fybro go together.  I have a slight hump on base of neck as if my head is being pushed forward and like you I have a really bad headache at base of skull, if I touch around that area it is really painful.  I cannot take ibuprofen so there is nothing medication wise I can take to help.  Physio was too painful as therapist said my muscles were rock hard and impossible to move.  Good to know you also had throbbing etc, as I do think it might be related.  My neck sounds like rice crispies when I move it, all cracky and horrible.  I will also ask my GP about throbbing when I go next week and let you know.
    • Posted

oh I recognise that 'rice crispies' sound you mention - very unnerving isnt it.  my blood pressure rises and falls like the tide - the nurse at my last appointment said not to worry as stress from the appointment was probably the cause.  I did get given a monitor to wear for 24hrs a couple of years ago and apparently my BP went from too low to too high and all points in between, my doc said it wasnt an issue.  I'm pretty sure after reading your post that the wear and tear we've suffered due to our work is the cause of these weird popping and crunching sounds and also the headaches.  18 months ago I saw a neurologist who said I had no neurological concerns, so at least I know it's not something nasty in the brain (what's left of it hehehe).  The rheumy said I dont have fibro but couldnt really give me a clue as to what else it could be.  I think you're correct that OA and fibro go hand in hand sometimes.  I hurt all over now, no just the places affected by OA but all of my muscles and even my skin hurts. Today I woke up and my hair hurts! how silly is that.

• Posted

Hi Loxie, I know that feeling, when I brush my hair it hurts, that is fybro, I quite often feel like I have flu especially in the cold weather. Not sure if you are UK, but if so go to Wilko and get a lavender bag, they are about 15 inches long and you heat them in the microwave and put round neck, heaven.
    • Posted

Hi Young - yes I'm in the UK.  I have one of those seed filled bags, it's quite helpful.  I sympathise with the flu type symptoms, thats exactly what I told the rheumy - that it often feels like a very bad virus with painful muscles and skin plus chronic fatigue and also a sort of memory fog - she was still insistent it wasnt fibromyalgia and basically said take painkillers and that was it.  I'm tryingt to summon up the energy for another round of GP visits but they just want to prescribe painkillers too.  I cant take opiods (tramadol etc) as they make me sick and anti inflamms cause me really horrible stomach probs, as do paracetamol, so I only take them if I have to.  Pain meds dont help with the fatigue or the foggy brain though.

• Posted

Hi, I was told I had fybro due to having a child at 40, I went into shock after caesarean and could not stop shaking and that is apparently one of the causes ie from a shock of some kind ie car accident etc or a really bad virus. There are several pain points that can tell if it is fybro, a couple of which are on shoulders and elbows and knees, all of which are agony if someone presses mine, even a slight bit of pressure across skin on shoulders hurts.  I cannot take tablets either so just have to put up with it as my GP is not really interested.
    • Posted

I suffered a major accident back in 2008, which actually was the start of my osteo arthritis - the foot was severed from the leg and although they rescued it, it destroyed all the cartilage in the joint and a year or two later OA set in, now I have it in both thumb joints and upper spine.  The accident may well have been enough shock to trigger fibro, as the pain and fatigue syndrome I now have started around a year later.  I've been on a merrygoround of referrals, blood tests, MRI, ultrasound, etc etc every since and the last appointment was last month with the rheumatologist who told me she's just a pill pusher.  Very upsetting to feel I'm getting nowhere fast and my health is degenerating due to lack of exercise etc. I've variously been told to take paracetamol, ibuprofen and then amitryptaline (which I had to stop as they gave me hallucinations) the rheumy has said I either have to take pain meds or basically go away.

• Posted

Hi sounds horrendous, no wonder you are in pain.  My GP and the rheumy do not believe that fibro exists, my GP huffs when I say I have it, so we are never going to get anywhere with attidues like that.  I am told basically at 57 I should just accept this is life and it is down to wear and tear and get on with it.  Not very helpful, but with so little time to discuss these things at appointments and getting a referral nearly impossible I have given up.  Take care
    • Posted

I really sympathise - my GP is unconvinced that fibro actually exists and the rheumy was adamant that my blood tests showed I didnt have it (although at a previous appointment she actually said blood tests arent effective in showing it up!).  They either blame all my issues on OA - which they definitely are not - OA gives me joint pain not muscle pain and not brain fog, stomach probs, sleep issues, fatigue etc.  Or else they blame all the other symptoms on me not sleeping properly - but the sleep problem came after the other symptoms and is because of them not a cause of them.  Its hopeless.  I dont really care what they call it but ignoring what I tell them and sweeping it away isnt helpful and my health is suffering.  I'm building up the courage to book yet another 2min appointment with the GP to try to stand my ground and demand something other than yet another pain med prescription.

• Posted

Good for you, doctors intimidate me, they have a way of looking at you which makes you shrivel inside, perhaps I am just a wimp. I am only 57 and do not want to spend the rest of my feeling like this, but unless someone listens that is probably what is going to happen.  I also get told it is the menopause or wear and tear and having a baby at 39 was so stupid and irresponsible as your body cannot cope at that age, it goes on and on.  Keep me updated if you do make that appointment and I will keep my fingers crossed that you get someone to take notice.   
    • Posted

we could be twins lol.  I too am totally intimidated by doctors and always leave the surgery feeling like i've 'failed' - half the problem is that the appointment allotted is so short, its a nightmare trying to be brief but cover all the issues and a lot of the time the GP's seem not to be listening at all or thinking about something other than the patient in front of them.  39 is so NOT too old for a baby, my mother had me around that age and she was fit as a fiddle with no arthritis or heart problems until at age 90 she developed cancer - 50 yrs after my birth so obviously unconnected whatsoever.  I guess we just drew the short straw with arthritis.  I saw a tv show last evening about revolutionary new treatment for PTSD (post traumatic stress) and pain relief being trialled in the USA - it involves simple electric pulses to the part of the brain controlling either the pain reflexes or trauma condition and is proving 100% successful.  Guess what, it wont get to the UK unless private funded I bet.

• Posted

Morning Twin, I have an appointment on Wed with yet another GP, so trying to run through how get it all in in 15 mins.  I want to be like your mum live to a ripe old age, which is why I am so anxious having my son later in life I want to be with him through his journey.  I would happily be electrocuted for less pain, but as you say not on the NHS. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.