Humira.

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've been suffering from H S for over 10 years. The only answer I got from doctors is that it was a bacterial infection. About a year ago I had another break out so bad I had to go to the emergency room to have them lanced (as I had to do many times). The nurse that was on duty told me I should see a dermatologist. I went to see a dermatologist, instantly she told me that I had H S. She told me that the FDA had recently approved Humira to treat H S. 1 shoot a week after the starter kit. 3 months later I'm amazed at the results, no new breakouts. Really amazing for me. Humira turned my life around

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Yay!! That gives me hope, my dermatologist asked me to do the bloodwork so I could get it on it. I get really bad breakouts.
    • Posted

Good luck, don't let the long process for Humira complete discourage you. I takes a while to get the meds, but it works.

• Posted

I started humara a month and a half ago. I have noticed marked improvement in the last couple weeks
  • Posted

Hi Fred,

It is good to know that you get results with Humira, I get the same results with 70mg zinc gluconate which is much cheaper and have almost no side-affects, you can buy them at any pharmacy without perscription, my I have been using them for more than a year now and my HS only reappeared when I stopped taking the zinc pills. I went to 3 zinc pills a day during the flare-up and are after 3 weeks back down to 1 a day, and the HS is again gone.

• Posted

I'm going to try your suggestion with the Zinc. The only time experienced any long term period of relief was when I was put on a prenatal vitamin.  In looking at the ingredients I see that they contain Zinc which may be the key to the relief I experienced?  Are you continuing to experience relief?  Do you know, can it be bad to take to much Zinc or is there any reason a person shouldn't take Zinc for a long period of time?

• Posted

Just started Humira yesterday with my first four shots. I have two more shots in two weeks, then once a week after that. Glad to see people are having positive results!! The shot wasn't too bad, a little stingy but nothing major. Not feeling any side effects so that's a good start! Hefty price tag but if it relieves my HS it's well worth it. Time will tell.

• Posted

I'm interested to hear how things are going for you.  I've been prescribed the Humira twice now and have chickened out on taking it both times. Do you have the shots or the pens? I've heard the pens hurt more but, I don't think I could actually give myself the actual injection?  I'm also so worried about the side effects. I've been suffering with HS for about 40 years now. I am once again at my wits end, looking for relief and once again considering Humira...

• Posted

I use the pens and it's not that bad. I leave it out of the refrigerator for about a half hour before taking it to let the temperature come up a bit. Apparently when it's cold it stings a bit. I'm more worried about misfiring the pen than I am the pain since I can barely feel it. It's an expensive shot to spray on my leg but apparently Humira is very good at replacing them if they misfire but hasn't happened. Yet (fingers crossed). Otherwise, I'm not feeling any side effects at all and my swelling seems to be under control. Just waiting for my skin to heal hopefully.

• Posted

Guys on HUMIRA, please keep the feedback coming as this is a newly approved drug I'm sure a lot of people will want to know it's success rate, side effects, remission rates Etc.

Good luck

• Posted

Still going good for me! Only just did my second dose, which was 2 injections, and already noticing a small difference. No side effects as of yet.
    • Posted

5 months in, 1 shot a week. I must say I'm 65 to 70 percent better. No side effects as of yet.

• Posted

I'm about 5 months in. I'd say the effects are starting to wane. Humira has helped with inflammation mainly. Lesions are still present just not as active. Still have occasional flare ups just not as bad. I have noticed that being on humira has either given me psoriasis or has awoken psoriasis that I already had. I have it on my arms and scalp and hands.

• Posted

i tried Enbrel & Humira, they both helped some but they just weren't strong enough.  I take Remicade which is an IV injection that i get every 6 weeks.  It is very expensive so you need very good insurance, it is about $20,000 per injection.  I have been on Remicade for about 7-8 years & have had no breakouts in that timeframe.  I consider it a miracle drug!  My doctor was able to get my insurance approve it since nothing else worked for me.  Good luck

• Posted

Well done for chasing this through to completion - you are on a complex medication - worthwile for many patients but complex 

like all conditions - there is a balance - disease / treatment 

surgery can also be condiered for badly affected patients 

• Posted

Hi there. I am in South Africa also suffering from HS

what type o operation would I need? Wha pe  d wild. O see?

i am struggling to find help here

• Posted

I have had several operations. I had several that just removed the inflamed abscess. I also all the tissue under my left arm removed & a skin graft done. This really helped but I would recommend trying the enbrek, humira, or remicade first

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.