Bad side effects so stopped - how soon for anxiety to go?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I took 5 days of sertraline (3x 100mg and 2 x 50mg) last week (weds-Sunday). It caused massively heightened anxiety so I stopped. Doc gave me beta blockers to help with anxiety in meantime.

3 days later and the heightened anxiety hasn't gone. The Tremors have and the dry mouth but I'm still really panicking and can't function.

How long until these feelings go? I wasn't having this level of anxiety pre taking the sertraline.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm waking up at 4am every day panicking too

• Posted

Hi sally, sorry your feeling bad. The thing with sertaline is you will get worse before you get better and need to stick with it even though you feel worse. Did your doctor tell you to come off them? You've also gone up quite quickly too which won't have helped. I've been on them for 8weeks now and 3weeks on 100mg I've gradually gone up doses and I feel better than I did, still not 100% but better. When I started the side effects where awful, dry mouth, insomnia, night sweats, nausea, headaches, negative thoughts and heightened anxiety was one of the worse which was the last to go. I would go back to your doctor and see what he says as you've had a high dose so your body with be reacting to that. If you want a chat I'm here your not alone but one thing sertaline has helped me even though I didn't think it would at the time but everybody is different and reacts different too. Stay positive xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle.

I'm on my 13th day.

Had and having symptoms you had,

Still getting palputations on and off and feeling sicky.

Which I'm coping with, but the thing I want to ask will my

insomnia stop, or will it carry on while I'm on these tablets

I'm on 25mg for anxiety

Kind regards

• Posted

Thanks Michelle. The thing is I don't think I really needed the drugs to begin with. Which is why my doctor was ok with me stopping.

But the heightened anxiety hasn't gone and it's been 3 days. So I'm worried that the drugs have triggered something that I can't shake on my own.

I was hoping that the anxiety would go as the drug works out my system.

• Posted

Hi Julie, your doing really well as the last couple of weeks were the worst to start with but you'll start to get better days. Yes my insomnia has settled now, I had a bad night Monday were I woke up and couldn't get back off to sleep but before that was a few weeks so it does get better just got to push though it. 25mg is quite a low dose usually start on 50mg to begin with but I did start on 25mg as I was scared to take them but upped it to 50mg after 6days. When do you see your doctor again? Xx

• Posted

Why did your doctor give you them? You should be ok and feel better soon. Have you got anything to take to help with the heightened anxiety? Xx
    • Posted

Hi

When I say I didn't need them.... I used to be on the them in the past. Came off a few months ago. But recently I felt that maybe I was a bit more stressed - less tolerant with my kids etc. So I put myself back on them.

But I wasn't seriously depressed and I didn't have anxiety.

3 days after starting the sertraline I had massive anxiety. I bore with it for 2 more days but couldn't take any more.

But I've been off them 4 days now (I was only on it for 5 days) and I'm still majorly anxious.

• Posted

Hi Michelle.

Thanks for the reply.

The last two days I keep getting the start of symptoms of a

migraine I do suffer with them but only proberbly 3 in a year.

Is this one of the side effects too?

Feel a bit spaced out sometimes aswell

I go back to the doctors on Monday, for some blood test results

I had done today. Liver test showed a bit high on my last one.

I only have the odd glass of wine so don't know what that's all

about.xx

• Posted

Hi Julie, no problem. I suffered with headaches at the beginning so it could be that. Spaced out is one of the side effects but that should improve. Hope you get on ok with your bloods xx
  • Posted

Hi Sally,

it sound slike you may be having a reaction to the medication, when i first go ton medication i was put in something called Celexa which litterally made me crazy.. i remeber being up at 1 am calling my Mom at her house cryign to come save me b/c i litterally couldnt breath... the next day i was back on the docotrs and they figured my dossing was WAY to high and i was having a nasty reaction. They then put me on 50ml of zoloft and after about two weeks i felt alot better. Did they give you trazadone or adavain they help to instantly calm you when you need something right away..Trust me i would go days with out sleeping, the sad thing about these medications is nothing is instant with them it can take up to a month for it to kick in.. you may need to also try taking more melatonan you can get in the vitamin section of your local store this should help you relax.. plus dont forget you are your own worst enemy.. dont let the voice in your head get to you.. even if you have to talk out loud to it, do it you need to slowly talk yourself down when you are going through these anxieties... ask your self why am i panicing? then fo from there find a "safe place" makes this area where to go to "talk yourself down" if it a hot bath or in your bed or even taking a walk outside do this and just slowely begin talking your self down.. i hope this was helpful and stay strong you can get through this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.