L5-S1 fusion, when can I return to work?

Posted , 9 users are following.

My Dr recommended that I have a surgical procedure done to repair the 2 bulging discs in my lower back. But he said it won't cure the pain in Lower back, just the leg pain. He said a fusion may be an option to cure all symptoms I have. I have sharp, cramping in on upper thigh and an calf is like a charlie horse at times, my foot get tingly at times, buttock hurts like heck at times that I'm in tears. I can only tolerate car rides and sitting for approximately 15 min increments. My job isn't physical. Approximately how long would I be out of work?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry to say I had a fussion and the doc said the same to me, unfortunately it didn't help, it stopped the spasms I was having but I have lived with chronic pain since and now more spinal problems from top to bottom, I don't think I had a choice as my disc was really bad but I had no idea what my life was going to be like after it. There are success stories but in my opinion not enough, I hope your surgery goes well but please do your research on fissions before you go down that track as it restricts movement in the lower back putting more strain on the discs above and below, good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Christine

​I had my fusion L3-S1 almost 4 months to the day yesterday.  I have had a good outcome so far from the numbness and pain I had been experiencing for years.  I was back to work full time after 8 weeks but my work is not physical with no lifting or bending required.  I probably pushed it a few times and my body made sure it knew who was in charge.  Everyone is different as we know so it will really depend on how much you push yourself to walk and movement.  I had a really tough time in cars on any length of journey for 3 months.  If you are active and can get walking a much as you can tolerate after our surgery, you will be able to get back to work sooner  - I know everyone responding like me is careful to say how long it will take as it is so personal to each person - I just think movement and walking makes the biggest difference - albeit tough and painful at times.  I wrote a discussion topic on the must haves post spine surgery and that might help on the prep for when you get home.  If you have the surgery, all the best and in my case the results has been good.  For reference, I am a 52 year old male, 8 hour surgery, 6 days in hospital.

• Posted

Sympathy, Christine. Helpful tips from jim61401. My earlier experience of being able to travel as a car passenger was that my seat had to be fully reclined, so I was almost lying down. This greatly reduced the pain in my back + legs. Also gave better support while car suddenly braking or going round bends.

Sitting - it may be best to alternative with standing. I used my computer keyboard on top of a chest-of-drawers (waist height). Its monitor was raised on a stack of large books. Nowadays a cardboard box would do, as screens are no-longer heavy. Or a laptop could be ideal atop the furniture.

In an office, an ideal worktop can be a 3-drawer file cabinet, depending on your own height. Ergonomics helped me. Elbows slightly higher than hands on keyboard. Head not tilted downward - look straight ahead at the screen.

Pain + numbness in back, legs, feet can be partly counteracted by rolling on the feet, every few minutes. Hold onto the furniture, if you feel unsteady. Walking about, at intervals, also helpful - using photocopier, or doing little indoor errands.

• Posted

Hi Christine,

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your pain, been there, wearing the t-shirt and git the scars.

I have stenosis with pain in both legs and lower back pain.

I had a discectomy and decompression at L4-5 in March 2013 and in short I am back to pre-op conditions.

The surgeon that operates on me wants to duse my back from L3-S1 but I have refused the op.

I got a second opinion and the new surgeon is happy to revise the original op and any ither bulging discs.

The clinical nurse thats5looking after me said that a fusion is not guaranteed to alleviate the pain and it is IRREVERSIBLE.

DON'T have the fusion but look into a discectomy and decompression.

Fusion should be a very last result.

Please think carefully about what you have done.

Keep us updated.

Are you in the UK?

Regards

Albero

• Posted

P.S.

I forgot to say that my friend has had his fusion corrected four times, five ops in total, and is atill in agony.

The fusion will aggrevate and put pressure on the discs and vertebrae above and eventually more surgery is needed until no more can be done and you're still in pain.

Albero

• Posted

Ithink I'm leanin towards not having the fusion. Seems to be alot of people that had little or no relief for such a major surgery. I know every case is different but I don't think I'm willing to take a chance on something like this. I really appreciate all the post to help me! You are all very kind!!

• Posted

If I listens to all post I'd not have it done ether. But realistically we can't base our out come on other people s results. Also u get a lot more telling us about the nightmare than the positives . My neurosurgeon is got a great reputation in the north east he said out of a 100 70% of fusion s are successful 30% not so. There is a spinal procedure called the wallis ligament. Where they strap your back rather than using rods ect . My friend s husband had it done. He's never looked back. It's less invasive. I've been told I'll never be completely pain free , but the op will help my mobility and the pain should not be as excruciating.

• Posted

Are you thinking of seeking a 2nd opinion, before deciding whether to decline having a fusion - or perhaps a discectomy?

Has your body had several months to try to improve, since your injury or disease presented?

If I could time-travel to the day before my long-ago failed laminectomy (without bone graft) of one of my 2 adjacent disc prolapses (L4-S1), I think I'd  have used a skilled physiotherapist for a few months, instead - or prior to surgery, if still necessary.

All best wishes, and keep us posted what you experience + decide.

• Posted

Have to say my chiropractor said he could have prevented my surgery if he'd known me back then.

My husband was in a car accident a few years back and my chiro practor got him sorted without surgery, it took 2 years but he's still working a very heavy manual job and over 60 hours per week, it was well worth persevering with, he still has twinges but he is knocking on a bit 🙊 It's to be expected, if only I could turn the clock back life would be so different

• Posted

Five years ago...intense sciatic pain from my back through hip and butt, down my leg.  Nothing worked.  The neurosurgeon found a bone spur "crushing" his word) the sciatic nerve root at L4.  Simple laminectomy...overnight stay...no more pain...zero rehab.

Two years ago, lots of pain again.  This time, I needed fusion from L3 through S1.  Doc called my back "a junkyard"...45 years of hockey might just do that to you.  Tough hospital stay (they had to go in a second time) but I wore my brace and kicked rehab's butt.  Back to normal in less than 4 months...like it never happened...well, I can't touch my toes anymore but who cares at 69.

Now I have stenosis at L2/L3 (sciatic pain down BOTH legs).  Instead of opening me up again, they'll go in FROM THE SIDE and insert an EXPANDABLE spacer at L2/L3 then crank it open with an Allen wrench to relieve the pressure on the nerves. Instant pain relief, 1 night hospital stay, no rehab, permanent fix.  Thank you, I'll have one of those, please.

Check ALL your options.  You should be TOTALLY free of pain...period...and settle for nothing less. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.