Immediate pain relief after MVD

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, please can anyone who has already had an MVD tell me if the pain relief

from TN is immediate, or does it take a while before you notice it?

Also looking online at people's scars they look quite big, about a 4inch curve

behind the ear. I was under the impression that they were quite small after

reading the hole they made in the skull was only the size of a penny. Can

someone more informed let me know.

As you can probably tell I am starting to realise how ill informed I am. These

are questions I didn't think to ask at my last appointment. I was so relieved

that they were hopefully going to rid me of this horrible pain my brain was

doing a happy dance instead of asking questions!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My pain relief was immediate. Other than the incision, the TN pain was gone and is still gone 8 months later. The incision itself is a solid 4 inches long but once your hair grows back, you won't notice it. The size of the hole is actually more like a quarter to half dollar but regardless, you won't even feel that after healing up.

• Posted

Hi Colin, thanks for your reply. I thought that was the case. I have my operation

tomorrow. I can't wait to be able to touch my face and it won't hurt. I think

after TN pain the incision pain should be easier to deal with. I'll let you

know!

• Posted

Oh that's soon! Good luck, you'll be fine. The incision pain is nothing, believe me. That's not to say there won't be other pains, but if you have had TN for a while, not much really stands toe to toe with THAT kind of pain.

• Posted

Like colin04561, my pain relief was immediate, and I still have no pain 6 months later. No meds either. You'll likely have some difficulty hearing in one ear for 2 or 3 weeks, as if there is water in it, and you'll probably have some facial numbness that gradually goes away over a period of months. I can't recommend this procedure highly enough. Just make sure your surgeon has plenty of experience with this particular operation. Good luck!

• Posted

Clint said is best: it is IMPERATIVE that you have someone with vast experience do this procedure. There are horror stories out there and nearly all of them stem from a well meaning but inexperienced neurosurgeon doing this procedure. You must find the most experienced person you can.
  • Posted

Hi, I agree that the pain from surgery is nothing compared to TN pain! The incision is much longer than I thought it would be but I want to raise awareness of TN so the scar will be a reminder of what I endured. Good luck, Mary
  • Posted

I cetainly hope to hear from you soon as to how the surgery went and how you are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.