Taper

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have tapered my dose of venlafaxine from 225mg at Christmas to 75 mg for the last 3 weeks. I have had none of the physical symptoms but psychologically I am not feeling better.I just don't know if I am feeling any worse. I stopped taking the higher dose as I was not feeling any good on the 225mg dose. I just think I am feeling down because of my circumstances. I had a high paying job that required a lot of skill and I have lost my confidence to do it . I just think I am no good at it after 30 years ahd this is what drove me down. I can no longer provide for my family like I once did. I have lost all my personality It has been 3 years since I have worked and the longer time goes by the worse I feel as it is more apparent I will never work..I I recently found out that 4he anti psychotics I have been on shrink your brain. Coupled with the fact that I have had ECT I am convinced I have lost a lot of cognitive ability, resulting in me unable to do any job. I feel stupid. I was on them for at least 2 and a half years and at times on high dosage. I have found lately thatvI don't want to do anything. I just want to lie down. I know I shouldvexcercise but I can't. When I do I want to cry. Again I look at everyone around me excercising and think they are happy and working and this brings me down. Anyway I could go on. My question is- I was stupid to lower my dose of Effexor when I was not better. I just was not better on the higher dose. I have been up to 325mg. Iwas just sick of all the drugs I was on and not feeling better. I thought the drugs were actually causing me to be dulled and dumbed down. I uust don't know. My life is in freefall. My relationshipsvare falling apart. Financially I am not in a good place. What do I do? I have tried every drug combination known to man. I am hopeless at CBT. I have no plan. My psychiatrist is away for 6 weeks. Should I increase my dose of Effexor. I know I am not good but will I be any better on 150mg. I feel lucky I have not had any physical symptoms since decreasing my dose that it would be such a pity to go back up. I hope this has made some sense. Any advice would be appreciated. .

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

Can you please specify your diagnosis? Manic depressive at onset, with actually escalating to psychotic break? Or did you have any OCD? What was it that you started therapy for originally and how did it develop over time?

Based ont he above it will be easier to assess where you are at now.

Ideally you should get in touch with prescribing doctor and explain that you came down to 75 out of despair. The first thing is to estimate how much better (or worse) you were on venlafaxine (provided you took it for long enough to be able to gauge) compared to before taking it.

If you were previously treated with anti-psychotics as well that makes it much more difficult to pinpoint but I am sure there is a way.

Let us know whatever you feel you can comfortably share if you are not planning on going to your doctor for whatever reason - although I really think it would be the best course of action. If it is feeling uncomfortable or lacking trust in the specific doctor, perhaps you could attempt getting another one. Your relationship with your doctors is very important right now.

Also, are you taking anything other than venlafaxine right now?

• Posted

You say you've tried all the drugs but have you tried a combination of Effexor with mirtazapine? It worked for me. Your hopelessness is a symptom of the depression you're suffering.

• Posted

Hi acemccol.

I understand and feel your pain I aswell had a vey decent paying job as of last spring time I have not been able to work since then I've tried several anti depressants and benzodiazepines which do help but to get off them is hell . I been on Effexor month and half I guess I'm on a low dose of it 75mg xr . I'm still not feeling better. But I decide to talk to my doctor and theapist I would like to try the natural approach to helping my issue not all of us can do it but like u I been a lot pills and just kinda feel at loss with it. But if u did feel a tad bit better at a higher dose I would go back up slowly. If ur still having issue all physiologist Have some at there office that u can speak with if not they can refer to someone. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.