Going out of my mind with worry

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies wondering if anyone can shed some lite here I've been having the urge to pee regularly first trip to dr done dip test which revealed I had some blood in urine so she gave me 3 course of antibiotics

Which tbh didn't do much 😕

Went to nurse the wk after and done another dip test as I was still getting symptom but she said there was no blood or anything else present

Then after another wk I went back to dr who done yet again another dip test which showed blood a and protein so prescribed a 7 day course of antibiotics which did slightly help but not completely

I waited a few days and called surgery to see if results came back and was told by reception that they were back and said it was a uti and was prescribed the correct antibiotic for it

But the problem is I still feel the urge to pee

So yet again I went back to dr today and she said that lab results said no infection 😳 And done another dip test which still showed slight blood in urine

So is now referring me for ultra sound and I'm beside my self with worry that I have bladder cancer

Please can anyone help me that's had a similar thing going on and have any feed back

Thanks ladies 😥

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a lady but can speak from experience with my bout of bladder cancer

which I'm glad to say is now clear.

Bladder cancer is the least likely cause of yor symptoms. Your GP should refer you to a urologist as they are the experts. Also your GP could send a urine specimen for cytology testing which would immediately tell if there are cancer cells present.

The main thing is not to get anxious and all worked up about the least likely problem.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Carly

I feel your anguish fully. I'm in the middle of a similar thing right now. I am peeing blood the first 2 days of my period. I've been for a ultrasound and camera in my bladder 4 weeks ago and I was so scared that when they looked they would instantly find 'that word'. I can't even say the C word as I'm still not out of the woods yet. I've just had a CT scan this morning with contrast dye and will get results on Monday. I have had numerous dip tests all of which have came back with no further action required, even though they are visibly full of blood. I am constantly needing the loo and sometimes only a dribble comes out and then need to go again ten minutes later for another dribble. All you can do is try not to stress which isn't easy I know. My doc has given me anti depressants with an anti anxiety as I am making myself worse. I've all but signed my self off this green earth. Do you have other symptoms? I have crawling sensations in my bladder area into my hip. Burning bladder and groin, and also flank pain. If you do I suggest to write everything down as I have done for when I go back to see urologist on Monday.

Take care 💕

• Posted

I too feel very anxious I have been suffering from burning sensation and abdominal discomfort for years.  Seen by gynae nothing abnormal found. GP said it is atrophic vaginitis.  It is now that I am thinking it could be a bladder probelm instead of gynae.  I always feel as if I have got urine infection.  Dip tests done three times and all  showed leucocytes and sometimes protein and blood.  Urine itself looks very clear as I drink a lot of water. I am getting very confused as culture always comes back neg.  I had an ultra sound as although I do not have any urgency or passing urine frequently I feel my bladder does not empty completely and I dribble afterwards and had to sit on the toilet for a little while to make it is gone.  I also have intermittent flow but can hold my urine for a long time usually gets up twice at night.  Ultrasoud shows 2 small kidney stones and a small tumour benigh.  I am really freaking is it possible it is the bic C.  Am seeing a urologist on tuesday.  I am dreading if I have to have a cystoscopy? How did you get on with yours? Let us know how you got on?  I have opted not to take any antibiotics until the resuls come back which I read can be unreliable.  I have so many things going on with my health that is making anxious and sick with worry and BP is going sky high with all this stress.  I hope to get some reassurance from the urologist have to wait nearly 4 months for an appointment.
    • Posted

HI Marie

I was petrified to go for the cystoscopy, my teeth were actually chattering walking toward the hospital. The procedure actually wasn't bad at all really. You can feel it but it doesn't hurt as they use a numbing agent in your urethra. I feel the same as you that I have so many things happening at once that I think I have the big one. It all seems to have happened so quickly aswell. I was fine over Christmas then on the 4th Jan I peed blood and since then I have alsorts of pain and sensations and severe constipation. You read about people going down quick and that's what I can't get out of my head! Please keep posting and let us know how you get on or how you feel and how your symptoms are.

• Posted

Hi Bella

If you had the cystoscopy and ultrasound and they did not find anything.  If it was serious I would have thought they would have picked it up.  Are you awake when they do the cystoscopy?  Am also due for a colonoscopy next week.  I agree blood in urine is not normal and they should try to find the cause. I know how our mind work overtime and we cannot helpit. Thanks for posting and keep us update.

• Posted

Hi carly. I am waiting for a flexible cystoscopy and am stressed out. I have heard from a lot of sources that is isn't painful but that the numbing gel; does sting a bit. I can handle that but I really don't want to be in that position of having to have the scope in the first place. I feel really angry and have no idea why. I have no symptoms apart from invisible blood in my urine. I don't even know if my sample that went to the lab showed any abnormal cells. I am 49 and wonder if the blood could be due to my age and the menopause as I am now through it. You have had a lot of antibiotics and it is probably wise now to have the ultrasound. I am trying to get a referral from my GP to have a private ultrasound before my scope, I hoped that would show I didn't need a scope. I think non-invasive tests should be carried out where possible. It's worrying enough having this blood without having to face invasive procedures as well. I know many others on here who will share their situations with you and will probably be of more help. Good luck x

• Posted

Carly, I swear I could have written your post. You sound exactly like me. 

I also had the urge to pee, blood in urine etc. Test came back one week blood, next week, none.

I was scheduled for a Cyst test and an ultrasound. I made my ultrasound first. My hubby and I decided IF the ultrasound came back normal then I'd forget the Cyst test. Well, my ultrasound came back just fine. 

To make a long story short...the blood in my urine was caused from medicine I was taking.

I'd check to see the side effects of ANY and ALL meds you're currently taking. 

MEds have terrible side effects. Look online and see what they are in regards to your meds.

Good luck and Gld Bless

• Posted

Hi Liz, could you tell me if your ultrasound was able to give a good image of bladder lining? I am trying to have some private imaging in order to not have the scope. I am not sure if ultrasound, ct, or mri would be best. I imagine that if they did a mri or ct with contrast it would give good quality images. I don't understand why a non-invasive test is not the first step for microscopic hematuria. If others, like me, put off or cancel scopes out of fear and apprehension, surely this is not a good thing? My position at the minute is I will cancel my NHS scope as they refuse to use anything other than numbing gel. I will have whatever imaging gives the best results and if this shows I need a scope I will book one privately. The price quoted to me included any type of anaesthesia I wanted and I want a general!! Good that you got to the bottom of your issue.

• Posted

Hi Caz 

I am reading your post with interest and your concern about the cystoscopy procedure. Did you ask your gp why is he/she ordering the cystoscopy? There must be a reason for it believe me they will not book unnecessary procedure. I had an ultra sound because  I have the feeling of incomplete voiding and the procedure measures my urine after I had

my bladder emptied. I, too have invisible blood in urine detected by dip test in surgery and culture came back neg this has happened three times. Although not very keen if the cystoscopy is the most reliable investigation for me I will go with what urologist suggest. I take it you are being seen by a urologist. I have got an appointment on Tuesday and will ask him which investigations are the most reliable. I guess it depends what they are looking for.

• Posted

Hi marie, she just said that cystoscopy is the first test they do when invisible blood is detected in the urine. This can be followed by scan of kidneys etc if scope shows nothing wrong. They are checking for bladder cancer, I just know they are and it's freaking me out. I try to be positive but it's scary. I have not had a consultation with a urologist, the first time I would see one would be the day of the scope. I think not quite understanding the investigation is part of my problem, no time to voice my concerns before they whisk me to theatre. At least if i go private I will see a consultant of my choice three weeks before being booked in for the scope procedure. They will hopefully explain everything fully and I will be happier with having it done. I will opt for general anaesthetic. I have a phobia of theatres, the uniforms they wear, the instruments and lights etc. feel like a baby after having had two kids with only gas and air but I can't help it.

• Posted

I have blood in urine as well twice but my gp does not seem concerned. I had the ultrasound first due to voiding issues. Where are you in the uk? I thought you need to see a urologist first and it is him who will decide whether you need a cystoscopy. Why don't you ask your gp why he is requesting the procedure? How did they find blood in your urine, was the specimen sent to the lab. Mine is found on dip tests at surgery but culture neg. I am also concerned why there is trace of blood in urine. Your gp is good sometimes you have to fight to get it done. I know it does not help since you o not hey it is being done and what they are looking. I would ask about bladder cancer. I am seeing the urologist tomorrow and I'll ask him about it and let you know...I heard it is not painful. I am also having the dreaded colonoscopy this week although I think it is not necessary as I have a history of colon cancer in the family Inwas advised to have the test done. Try not to worry too much about and good luck to whatever you decide.

• Posted

Hi Marie, I hope you are well and have had all your tests now. Isn't life just one long worry? Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I have made a private appointment for Monday evening to see a urologist. I have also got print outs of my most recent urine tests and blood test to assess kidney function. This worries me as it gives my kidney function as 60 when the normal is 90. From reading this it seems I have stage 2 kidney disease yet my GP has never mentioned this to me. The test was done in December. I am hoping the urologist can answer a lot of questions for me on Monday. I think I need the scan more than the scope. With my kidney report the traces of blood in my urine could well be coming from my kidneys. My specimens were sent to the lab, the blood also showed on dipstick. The first urine sample was contaminated and the repeat didn't show any growth. Also the epith cells they saw on the contaminated sample were not in the repeated specimen. No mention of blood on the report either which confuses me. I only saw the results because I went to reception and asked them to print them off. All I can do now is wait until Monday and speak to this urologist, I will follow his advice as to what the next step should be. x

• Posted

Hi Caz I replied to your post to Carly by mistake. I read you wanted to know whether CT, MRI or cystoscopy are better. Just to tell you my experience with gynae re spotting. I had utrasound first, not very clear, MRI with dye I thought that was great I do not need the hysterecopy but she decided to do it. I thought it was unnecessary but trusted her.To rule out bladder cancer it has to be cystoscopy. Pl let us know how you get on with your appointment. With NHS had to wait 4 months for an appointment. Would you rather have it under GA. From other people experience Indo not think it is as bad but do not like the idea of inserting a camera through my urethra. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Caz

All prepared and waiting to have the colonscopy this afternoon it is for my peace of mind as sister had bowl cancer. Did the path lab result showed blood as well as dipstick. I saw a very nice and young urologist on Tuesday. He has booked me for a ct and cystcopy he assured me it is not as bad as it sounds. I guess it can't be as bad as hysterecopy without sedation. He said the ct to check again the kidney stones and a small benign cyst on lt kidney. The cystoscopy to check for other issues like blood in urine and post micturition and constant burning like uti. He was very good and told me he is going to co-ordinate the two procedures the same day and discuss the results with me and if the results are not ready he will make an appointment for me to see him. I mentioned about bladder cancer and blood in urine and leukocyte he said the chance is very small 5%but you cannot be too careful. They will investigate blood in urine. I can access my medical records on line and sometimes the results are flagged if not within normal range. I think if your gp was concerned she would have phoned you. Would you have felt better if she has referred you to a urologist first? Sorry this post was meant to be for Caz I

• Posted

Hi Marie, Just got your post. I wish you all the very best for this afternoon. I'm sure you will be absolutely fine. Your urologist sounds lovely and that really helps. Yes, I think I would have been happier if my GP had referred me to urology first and they could then have explained what was happening and what they suspected. I am NHS but my trust cannot fit me in for 3 years so they are funding for me to go private. Imagine, a 3 year wait!! I think the scope is unavoidable and I am really trying to get myself into the right frame of mind for it. I have arranged a private ultrasound of kidneys, ureters and bladder for Monday morning and I see a urologist privately on Monday night. I will have the result of the scan with me as well as my urine test reports and my kidney function blood test. Armed with all that I am sure he will be in a good position to advise me what is necessary and what is not. I'd love to be able to access my medical results online. How do you do that? I', surprised at my GP not speaking to me about the blood test result, reception said it was normal??. The idea of a camera being put "there" fills me with dread, you'd think it was Nikon or something the way I'm panicking!! Anyway, you take care and all the very best today. I'll look forward to your posts whenever you feel up to it. ((HUGS)). x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.