What are the first symptoms? Please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello.

I feel a bit silly asking here as I have not yet been diagnozed with anything. I have a spirometry coming up but it still some time away(end of march) so i wanted some perspective from people who deal with this issue. 

I am 26, male, ex-smoker, i smoked from 14 to 25, about 10-13 a day or 7.5 pack years in total. I stopped 1.5 years ago, august of 2015.

In the morning when i wake up, my nose is sometimes blocked and my mouth dry, with this i get some brown residue on my tongue and in my throat. The brown stuff does not show during the day, and on some days i do not get it, but on most I do. My first thought was that it was blood, but as there is no cough. If it was blood, it could have come from the sinuses i guess, but then i do not experience any issues during the day.

I find myself with a lump in my throat quite often, needing to swallow a lot. no wierd color on the mucus there.

I do not cough, i do not wheeze, i do not have difficulty breathing or running.

I think this is either cronic bronchitis or post nasal drip, and i can't figure out which!

Can some of you shed some light on why/why not it could be COPD etc, since i know some of you have had it from the early stages.

Thank you very much!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am no dr but my guess is you don't have copd,  my dr said if you smoke for 20 years you will get copd.  You have not smoked long enough and great job quiting ?? Now you may have gerd, acid reflux post nasal drip,  also you may have what's called quitters flu that goes away when your lungs are cleared out my dr said that takes about six months.  Go to your dr and get a good checkup, from top to bottom. Excercise in the mean time.  Check out dr Noah greanspan on you tube real interesting.  Ps when you get the good news that your ok let us know and stay off the fags 🇨🇦

• Posted

The figures say only 1 in 4 smokers will get copd.  I have loads of friends who smoke and only 1 of them has it.  It's not inevitable and we are just the unlucky ones.  x

• Posted

pam34048 (I could not reply directly to you, not sure why)

Thank you for your input! I would love to get a checkup, unfortunately they won't really let you do that here unless you show symptoms. We do not have full-body checkups, I already askedrolleyes (Sweden).

I don't think it's the quitters flu as it's been 1.5 years since I quit. Let's hope it's all in my head haha.

• Posted

Your doctor is the best person to ask or enquire about your diagnosis, you should be communicating your symptoms to your doctor as you have done here.

We are not doctors and therefore cannot diagnose, especially not in a forum, not even a doctor or medical professional would attempt to do that.

• Posted

Hi copd is normally diagnosed after the 40's and it would be very unusual for you to have it so young.  It's not unheard of though - just very unlikely.  If you had it you would at least struggle to walk up hills and steps and might feel more tired than usual. 

If it is anything lung related it is much more likely to be something like asthma,  but you would have normally wheeze a bit and your chest would feel tight. 

I hope this helps a bit.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.