No change in Free T4 and T3 in months?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I got my most recent lab done and looks like my levels have become stagnant? Is this bad? I've been on tapazole since around June 1, 2016, so about 8.5 months now and my freeTs have literally stayed the same since November. I currently am taking 2.5mg and 5mg on alternating days (same dose) Aside from my hairloss, I feel ok overall in terms of little to none hyper symptoms so my endo has not changed my dosage.

My levels now (give or take the same for months in same dose of 7.5mgs):

FT4 15 (9-19)

FT3 4.1 (3.1-6.2)

TSH 0.01

Should I reduce my meds? I see my endo today but I dont fully trust her bc she actually wanted to increase my meds the last time I saw her to raise my TSH so I'm hoping to get some feedback here first.

Also, my TSH has been <0.01 for the longest time now, now it's 0.01, Is the difference even significant at all? It was <0.03 at one point. I don't know how to read these dang numbers sad

I started acetyl-l-cartinine as of yesterday 500mgs, I'll report back in 2 weeks about that.

Thanks in advance for your input!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Cecelo, very similar to my results! But my TSH is still undetectable so thinking on acetyl l carnitine also! I've been told to take 5 mg but it's making me feel awful so going to take 2.5 mg a day until the next test and see what happens 😃. I can't advise you to self dose though, that's your choice 👌

• Posted

Your Frees are ideal but they are going to drop a bit when you take Acetyl.  Mine dropped right to the bottom of the range but always stayed within range. I never adjusted my own dose of meds, my docs always did the adjustments based on my lab tests.  I do not agree with your doc about raising Tapazole dose to increase TSH.  Doing so will lower your Frees also.  My docs always calculated the dosage initially to normalize my Frees.  Some people will normalize their TSH as well as their Frees when they are prescribed Tapazole.  I think those are usually the people with labs that are extremely elevated but for those of us who are hyper but not that much over the normal range, we cannot take a high dosage of Tapazole.  I would also check your vitamin D and Magnesium levels and if deficient, supplement.  
    • Posted

Hi Linda, but what does it mean that my levels haven't budged at all in months? I remember when I first started tapazole, my endo had to adjust it almost every 4 weeks because it would fluctuate depending on the dosage. If I stayed on the same dose for a while my levels would either drop or rise.

• Posted

Your Free T3 and Free T4 are right where you want them to be and it is good they haven't budged.  That means the dosage of Tapazole you are on is keepiing them stable.  Your pattern is exactly like mine was.  My Frees went immediately into the middle to upper range of normal and stayed there but my TSH would not budge for two years until I added supplements.  Then as my TSH rose, my Frees dropped right to the bottom of the normal range and my Tapazole dosage had to be adjusted.  When I stopped Acetyl after my TSH had risen remarkably, the Frees also moved up to the middle of the normal range.  It is a fine balancing act.  I was discouraged when my TSH would not rise in 2 years so that was what prompted me to try the supplements added to my Tapazole.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.