Diverticula's

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone help,

I started with diverticulitis in November since then I have been in hospital 3 times a total of 2 weeks. I had no side effects at the time that I was aware of it just came out of the blue. I awoke with severe pains in right side and being violently sickness. Please can anyone describe to me what symptoms I can expect before I you get before an attack, just so I Know what to look for as I want to avoid going ending up in hospital again. 

Also what is a flare an infection? as at the moment I am very confused, Also at  the moment I am having the a dull pain lower right side which come and goes. Dose anyone else get this pain on the right side and is it symptom.  

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I had no symptoms before hand, blood in stool one morning followed by mucus and blood that day and all night, pain in lower abdomen . Saw my doctor next morning and was sent for blood work and a CT scan immediately which confirmed diverticulitis, started antibiotics for 10 days and a liquid diet for a few days then a low fiber for several weeks, I'm stil on that now.Mine started on January 16 so I am in week 4. Feeling better but not 100% so I was told by doctor today to start taking a probiotic to introduce friendly bacteria into my system and continue that for 2 months. I had a follow up CT scan yesterday and was told the diverticulitis has been resolved. Keeping my fingers crossed I never have a flare up. Have you had a CT scan to confirm Diverticulitis? Has surgery been suggested since you had 3 bouts in such a short time?

• Posted

Like you Thomas I get the pain on my right side which is quite unusual, it also comes  with violent sickness.  I don't seem to get any warning the pain just comes on and gets increasingly bad.  After about 24 hours it subsides.  My doctor prescribes me antibiotics which make me feel dizzy and nauseous but they are a necessary evil in clearing up the infection.  It takes about a week to 10 days for me to get back  to normal.  I often worry when I am having an attack that it is appendicitis!

• Posted

Hi Lyn, thanks for getting back to me. On the appendicitis, funny because the first time I was in A&E the Dr there thought it was appendicitis. Wonder if you can have 2 things going on at the same time, it’s nagging me now seeing my dr soon,will ask.

The antibiotics they do the just the same to me too.

Can you tell me do you always have to go the A&E with severe pain (is that a sign of infection?) or can you treat yourself at home with painkillers and antibiotics

Many thanks Tom

• Posted

Hi Thomas,  after my first attack in 2014, I had to wait for about six weeks before I was sent for a colonoscopy, there they found diverticulosis.  I had my second about a year later and was prescribed antibiotics. I have had many more attacks but only one visit to A&E where I was admitted for a couple of days that was in November 2015.  Since then when an attack occurs my GP gives me antibiotics. I hate hospitals and certainly do not want  surgury, although this has never been mentioned to me.  A friend suffers from diverticulitis, left sided, but on one emergency admission to hospital, she almost had surgery for appendicitis, but another doctor  on the way down to the theatre stepped in at the last minute and said it was diverticulitis  The last attack in January the pain was so bad I did begin to wonder if my appendix had burst and  I had peritonitis!  I will ne interested to hear what your doctor says Thomas.

• Posted

Hi Lyn, I will let you the outcome on Monday this Dr is a surgeon hope its not bad news had the colonoscopy 2 weeks ago, I’m seeing him for the results.

Got a nagging pain on the lower left side today hope this is not the start of another flare.

Be in touch  Tom

• Posted

Hi lyn, just so I know, at the moment i have a bad paid on lower left side . is the called a flare up. Ta tom
    • Posted

Everybody is different Thomas,  but  you probably are having a flare up.  So far, I have what I call attacks, agonising pain, vomiting, sometimes fever and a couple of times bleeding. This is over a space of about 24 hours and then it passes. Hope your pain goes away before your appointment on Monday.
    • Posted

Hi Lyn, still having problems but slept well, been to doctors this morning and he tells me I am haveing  a flare up and told if it gets severe I must go to A&E. DAM.

He’s put me on antibiotics and told me to eat small amounts of food and drink plenty of water about 2ltr. Strugging with than, can you suggest anything to drink other than water as I feel like a hot water bottle.

Thanks for you reply of last night Tom

• Posted

Try to eat  things like clear soups, scrambled egg, white rice etc, with as little fibre as possible.  Stick to tiny portions.  As to fluids, that is hard. Apart from water I just drink tea as most fruit juice is too acidic for me.  
    • Posted

Hi Lyn, you have a big help. please can you tell me how to make these clear soups thonake Tom
    • Posted

Hi Thomas, I don't make clear soup, I buy beef consomme or chicken consomme from the supermarket. When I have an attack, I am so ill that all I can do is stay in bed and rest and force myself to eat and drink.

• Posted

Thanks Lyn, you have been a big help, i will get some tommorow. you have s helped me understand this Divertic. just as matter of interest I'm 74. Do you live in the Uk as today I saw a post from Canada  will keep in touch thanks again Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom, I live in the uk too.  Good job we don't have to pay for our visits to our GP's and the hospital!

• Posted

Hi Thomas ,have you tried the herbal teas as they dont contain caffeine,Cammomile is good and the peppermint tea.awell,hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.