Upcoming tkr

Posted , 18 users are following.

I'm having my surgery next week and am not as brave as I thought. I'm afraid of the nerve block and the pain after. Could use encouragement.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Duckfan,  I had mine done last October and I was a little apprehensive about the nerve block but don't be, it wasn't that bad, the leastof my owrries.  Then I was worried about being impaired for a long time which I haven't.  There is pain and quite a lot of it at the beginning but as long as you take the meds. the Doctor gives you and ask for more if those don't work then you will be OK.  I was driving after 3 weeks and apart from stiffness from time to time I feel lucky.  You must do your exercisesthough, it is a must.  Even though it will probably hurt, worjk through the pain and rest and ice regularly.  Loads of good advice on here.  Don't be afraid, you will wonder why you were.  Let us know how you get on.  x

• Posted

Hello knee friend i have had a couple of them, they put a medicine in so you do not feel it and after you have no pain because it is blocked from pain for about 16 hours. It is great for pain control.  Good luck on your surgery you will do fine.
  • Posted

Knee surgery is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I had nerve block and made sure I was asleep.

Just tell them u want to be asleep. I am sure it isn't a problem.

The one thing I did make sure is that I checked out the surgeon. If he isn't top notch, run. I had a fantastic surgeon, however, I checked him out from top to bottom.

If u find anything negative, run and keep looking. The s makes the difference on your outcome. I had the best

thank God.

If u r on medication, U need to make sure u r given the correct medication and at the correct time. U should have someone with you 24/ 7 so they can make sure everything goes smoothly and as planned.

One last thing, I begged for my last knee surgery.

Hope yours goes as well as mine has.

Good luck and God be with you.

Mary Kay.

• Posted

It's very overwhelming thinking about the rapidly approaching so hopefully some of us can help set your mind at ease. First, don't be afraid of the nerve block, In my case I was already a little medicated before they did the block, and then the whole area is numbed first so I never felt them do anything. Before the nerve block wears off they will already be giving you pain meds to overlap and keep you comfortable. You need to be a good advocate for yourself and not be afraid to stand your ground when it comes to how much you hurt. When they give you something for pain, ask them what it is, how long it usually takes to work and how long it usually lasts. If it doesn't kick in or it doesn't last as long as they said it should tell them. My facility bent over backwards to keep me as comfortable as possible, as should yours. You are not going to get up and get moving (which is the goal) if you are in too much pain. There are other ways to help control pain, too, which you can do for yourself. Distraction is a big one - having someone there with you to talk to, play cards with, etc. can help with pain. Listening to music or watching television may help distract from pain. The hospital I was in also offered aromatherapy, which I also find helpful.  Ice and elevation will help with pain and when you are ready, believe it or not, getting out of bed and moving will help too. They will get you up to walk or to participate in PT and OT. This does help and they will encourage it. 

This week prior to your surgery you should also try to distract yourself by getting yourself as prepared as possible. Keep doing your exercises, grocery shop and prepare some meals for the freezer, clean the house and make sure you have safe paths to travel through your home with your walker, and most importantly do some things that you enjoy to give you some peace and relaxation time. I am not saying the road ahead is going to be easy or pain-free, but you can do this. If you have been following this board you know much about the struggles and the rewards to this procedure. Everyone has a little different experience, but it's important to keep a positive attitude and to recognize that if you do the work you will see the rewards. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how you are doing - everyone is here for your questions and to cheer you on!

• Posted

Duck fan, do not be afraid of the nerve block. The nerve block is going to be your salvation in the surgery procedure! I had the nerve block (which was no worse than an injection) and a spinal block with sedation. No sickness or feeling hungover after as they did not use traditional anesthesia. I was awake, clear within 15 min of going to recovery room with Zero pain. I only started to have post operative pain 9 hours later. The nerve block blocks all pain and they pump your leg full of heavy duty pain relief and numbing medicine as well. Good luck!
  • Posted

Duckfan,

I had bilateral TKR in June of this year. I NEVER regretted it! I woke up after surgery feeling really good but knew the nerve block was blocking most of the pain. When it wore off, I could tell, but the hospital was on top of it and managed it well with morphine. I'll be honest and say the pain from twhen the nerve block wore off was significant but managable, and only lasted a few hours. I stayed on oral prescription pain meds for 2 weeks after the surgery. For me, the worst part was the constipation from the pain meds... prepare for that and be well stocked with prunes, fiber, anything that will help. 

I was walking well, bending well and made a steady recovery. Every day was better than the one before. I actually got "kicked out" of physical therapy a week early because I had progressed so well. I still think back and wonder why I waited so long to have it done. My life is SO improved and although it IS major surgery and recovery takes work, IT WAS ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT. My quality of life is vastly improved. 

Most of the people I know (in real life) have done very well and are happy they have had the surgery. Keep in mind, when you read any type of online forum such as this, many people are looking for help with something they consider to be "abnormal" or difficult. So, remember, what seems to be "normal" on this forum -  probably isn't an accurate representation of how most people do after surgery. 

I know I may not be the norm either, as I typically heal very fast. But, I was scared going into the surgery too (who isn't?) but it helped talking to friends that had a fairly easy recovery. Gave me hope that mine would be just as good (and it was)!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Posted

There is nothing to worry about. I had tkr last November and had the block. I didn't even know when they put the block in. They started to put me out when the block was done. There is pain't after, but my knee pain on a daily basis was far worse then the pain after. I was up walking and pt a few hours after surgery and I have slowed down yet. Just stay on pain meds and u will be fine. Oh the only real bad pain was during sleep hours.

• Posted

Nothing to be scared of. They are professionals and will block the pain properly. For a couple of days you won't feel pain, until the blocker wears off. Then your pain killer medicine will kick in. You will probably feel so much better painwiae compared to how you feel now. It will be okay. Good luck! Enjoy your new knee.

• Posted

Just think it will soon be done. I was very nervous of the spinal block and I was fine. 🙂

• Posted

Gosh, thank you so much for the encouragement.  I'm 70 and in pretty good shape and haven't been able to take a walk, which I love, for about a year.  I'm looking forward to being somewhat normal again.  I'm having it done by a very good doctor and I have all confidence in him.  Lots of support from husband and adult kids.  All in all, I'm blessed and need to just breathe and enjoy watching Gunsmoke and Andy Griffin while I recover.  Glad to hear I can put the nerve block fear to rest.  I'll let you know how I do.  

• Posted

Hi there Duck fan it's easy to say don't worry but seriously don't worry! The nerve block and sedation is marvellous, much better than full anaesthetic. You'll be kept busy afterwards with physio and you

Really need to strengthen those quads before and after in your recovery, best of luck take care and don't worry, xx

• Posted

Hey you in the last six months I had a hip plus a tkr. I have my other tkr this Friday.

What I have found is that the last two surgeries were a breezee, no,pain or discomfort in hospital, it is when you go home. You must be spot on with medications, icing a physical thearapy. also found that watching a good show, dining some knitting or even coloring takes your mind off the pain.

I am sure you will do fine. Remember this is a step in your recovery and if you have pain before surgery and difficulty doing the things you live, this is your first big step in the right direction. Let us know how it goes. I slept through the first one, second one I woke up but it really didn't bug me, take care

• Posted

Spinal injection and nerve block and anything else you can get.

It's a tough road but you will soon forget the bad times as we all do.

You maybe will surprise yourself and be a lucky healer.

I hope things go well for you . Let us know. At least you will be able to communicate via the forum to others that have been down the same road.

Good healing

• Posted

Be prepared.  This is what you're looking at...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

I have lots of other posts if you need more help...  Good luck...

• Posted

I'm trying to remember...did you have a hip replacement upon which to share your wisdom? Two years out of L-PKR and one year out of R-TKR. Now, 4 days out of R-THR. Not having any fun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.