Christmas A Fib Episodes

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ok fellow A Fibbers lol, I'm very interested in knowing who had any increase in episodes over Christmas and new years for whatever reasons.

For me it happens to be the WORST time of year for being unstable. However this year I had several mini attacks and nothing that required a hospital visit for a cardioversion. It's always the food,stress,stomach thing for me around Xmas. So let's talk about it everyone. Let's see if there is a pattern here. smile Have an awesome day and thanks for your reply!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Although I have not experienced this, I have read about others that have. It's called "holiday heart" and is triggered by overeating, over drinking and the stress of the holidays. 

• Posted

Hahaha great name holiday heart. Love it! Thanks for your reply. Glad you had no episodes either. smile

• Posted

Hi

I was actually fine ! I felt myself relax as I was off work from Xmas eve till after new year 😄

Since being back at work 5am starts ( muck out horses walk dog) before work and stress from work has given me 2 episodes on a Saturday !

I also eat far too late in the evenings when at work 9pm or later which I am sure isn't good 😟 I also survive on 6 hours sleep a night during the week which is bad 😳

• Posted

That's great. Christmas works the opposite for me. I happen to be a chocoholic around that time of year which is totally NOT good for most A Fibbers. Thanks for your reply. smile

• Posted

That's easy! Alcohol unless you are teetotal? My brother would take several flecainide before he went out to a farewell party or similar where he knew he would be drinking.

• Posted

Oh wow that's interesting. Maybe I should try that next Christmas lol. Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

No Afib over Xmas. All has been good since my ablation last April.

However, a 4day holster monitor back in early January showed lots of ectopic beats (PVCs ). It showed that I was having around 20,000 PVCs a day!

Ive always had an irregular heartbeat and generally skipped a beat every 20 seconds or so. Over the Xmas period I had 3-4 drinks per day (instead of 3-4  per week),over ate, gained 4kg and didn't do my regular 5km walk/jog.

was told to start taking half a Metoprolol(25mg) each day to see if that helped. Metoprolol sorted it all within a couple of days.

have got back into my regular routine now and all is back to normal, just have a couple of kilos to lose.

Also, can relate to Okapis's reply, after a few too many red wines I'd wake in the early hours of the morning with a rapid, thumping heartbeat( about 30beats/min extra), so would pop an extra Sotolol to slow me down in order to avoid going into Afib!😜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.