Left hip replacement cementless ... 9 days post surgery. What do others experience?

Posted , 10 users are following.

It's raining and my new hip is sore and achy and still swollen around the wound. Only allowed to partially weight bear for 4 weeks. What did others experience 9 days post op with a cement less hip replacement? Thx

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Minana, I am 5 weeks post op and walking round the house without sticks and using one stick outside.

I have my six week check next week and hopefully be told I can drive and go out without sticks.

This is my second THR in 3 years, so have both hips done now.

You will be fine, I could weight bear more or less straight away, I sometimes get pain when I have done to much, it's just your body telling you to take it easy.

You take care, and take your time, it's still early days.

• Posted

Hi Minana

I am 23 days post op. Non-cemented hip replacement. Only partial weight bearing for 3 weeks. Just started putting full weight on operated side. At 9 days I was on regular painkillers throughout each day, doing very little apart from the prescribed exercises 4 times a day. Wound was itchy (still is sometimes). Have managed to sleep quite well each night despite being in my back. Needed help with pressure stockings, getting dressed, getting in and out of the shower. How are you coping?

• Posted

Thx for asking. Yay you are at day 23! Biggest issue is I can't sleep on my back. This is my 5th night with very little sleep. On day 14 post op. Was taking 20mg prescribed temazapam but never again! I am usually a great sleeper so it has been a shock. Am a 49 year old woman and last few days have had strong hot flushes for the first time so think that is complicating things. This morning I hard a hard golf ball sized lump at bottom of wound. Huge fright and teary as no sleep. Nurse recommended ice. Spoke to my surgeon later in morning and went in for 2 week xray and consult. Lump had gone down... yay! He thinks hematoma. Wound looks good. Need to just partial weight bear for 3 and a half more weeks with last week increasing weight bearing.... Whew! This is an essay. Frustrated I can't sleep but reassuring to read posts. Thx all

• Posted

Swollen, some pain, black and blue leg, restless, tired, hard time sleeping, using one cane. However I was so glad I no longer had bone on bone I was extatic. Will be a big difference at 3, 6 and 12 weeks. Been over a year for me and I forget I had it done. TSA reminds me at the airport. Just love those pat downs
  • Posted

Total hell to be honest . Severe pain , swelling , incapacitated ... it takes months to recover !!!
    • Posted

Bugger! Ice packs and pillows my best friends atm
  • Posted

Hi,

I am 13 days post op. I have been weight bearing from 5 hours after surgery. I havent had any swelling at my wound (healing very nicely- no staples). My hip area is slightly swollen, but very minimal..not my thigh, calf, or foot.

We are having lots of rain in CA, but I hadn't associated my pain with the weather. We have another 6 days of rain starting tomorrow, so I will see if there is anything related.

I am learning patience with this surgery and most certainly lyrics love my naps!

• Posted

I can relate re the patience! My pain is around the wound a bit hard n swollen told to massage with Arnica. Oh for sleep!!!
  • Posted

Hi minna,

I am day 7 now,uncemmented hip,I am still on 2 crutches and quite slow really,I take pain killers regularly, still in a moderate amount of pain.my leg is swollen around the knee still and my lower leg and foot is always swollen by the evening. I was allowed to weight bear from the onset.To be honest I am finding it difficult but trying to stay positive. Sleep is not good due to being on your back. We will definitely get there and I'm sure this will be all worth it. I hope your recovery gets better quickly.

• Posted

It will get better hang tough. You will start noticing improvement each day. The back sleeping does suck
    • Posted

Thx nicola.. yes we will. My surgeon was adamant only partial weight bearing as non cemented joint. He said try on scales to feel what 15 to 20 kg feels like on operated leg. All the best to you. Gel Ice packs rock!
    • Posted

Day 14 now and yes improved ... just the sleeping on my back. Will try pillow under knees as well as between knees.
    • Posted

Great news! It is a daily process and so much better than prior to surgery. I haven't had swelling (other than minimum in the hip area itself) but I do have pain in the muscles as they re-engage!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.