High blood pressure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I'm a female aged 54 and have been feeling quite anxious lately and I have been having muscular pain in my right arm and upper body as a result. I visited the doctor today and it transpires I have high blood pressure 154/96. I've got to have a 24 hrs unit fitted soon and bloods taken. I just can't relax now. I'm more stressed than ever thinking I'm going to have a heart attack or worse!! I'm not overweight. Just want some reassurance I think.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bev,

That figure is above normal but it's not massively high, and it's certainly not at the level that's going to give you an instant heart attack! (I'm a former nurse, btw.)

It's good that you're going to do the 24-hour test, as that will give a better impression of what your average blood pressure is like over the whole day. I'm also glad to hear you're going to have a blood test. I still can't believe they don't do full blood work every year as a routine on all patients over the age of 50 in the UK. In my country, annual blood tests are considered normal!

Nothing's going to happen to you. Try not to get to anxious about this, as there's nothing like anxiety to send your BP even higher!

• Posted

lily65668...Blood tests are very important as you know. Here in Canada, blood tests are done for monitoring certain things, i.e. B12 levels or Potassium especially if someone has a tendency for their potassium to fluctuate. Also CBC's are done when yearly physicals are performed. It's routine regardless of age. 

• Posted

bev62220. I agree with lily65668. While the bp number is rather high; it certainly isn't massive. Bp fluctuates throughout the day. A lot of what we do influences bp as well..drinking coffee/tea/alcohol. 

You didn't say how long the bp has been elevated or if you've had high readings for a whie & the doctor decided on a 24hr holter monitor. This is a good idea, but you must try to relax as best you can. If you become anxious, the numbers will go up.Worry, upsetment, etc. & yes anxiety drives the numbers up. 

I too get muscular aches..but not from anxiety. I too become quite concerned about my aches pains..what are they...are they serious..etc.etc..but it's not fair on ourselves to live like that. I've made the decision that I can't do anything about what's wrong with me...I have some disc problems that I'm told is responsible for what's going on, yet my mind was going elsewhere thinking it was something else.

You can drive yourself mad for no reason. Relax.!!!!....you'll be fine.

• Posted

Hi Bev,

My raised blood pressure of 169/? was found at a private health screening.  Following this I went to my GP and also had a BP monitor fitted for 24 hours and a blood test.  As lily65668 says, the 24 hour monitoring is standard procedure and gives an accurate average over that time.  154/96 is highish, but not hugely so, and unlikely to give you a sudden problem.

Afterwards I took BP tablets for 2.5 years, at ever decreasing strengths.   In June 2016 I started the 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet - low carbs, high fat, lots of vegetables and fruit etc.  I lost quite a lot of weight (I was in the obese range).  A huge side effect was that my blood pressure dropped and is now in the normal range.  I'm now off my BP tablets and in the slightly overweight range - so still a little weight to go to get to my target 'normal/healthy' weight.

So, don't panic, relax.  Raised blood pressure can easily be managed.    

• Posted

Don't base having hypertension on one reading in the doctors surgery when you were bound to be stressed. The 24 hour monitor can also be stresful as you are waiting for it to start off. Have a normal day and keep a diary of what you were doing that day at the times it took a reading.  Sometimes it might take two or three readings if it does not get one the first time or show an error message.

• Posted

Bev, try Tai Chi - excellent for helping with your anxiety and can reduce high BP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.