Rib injury with no breathing problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had slipped and fell on some ice and fell onto my left side. A lump of ice hit my ribs twords my back. Was painful fall and ribs hurt for sure but I have no pain when I cough , sneeze , breath deep etc. Just a very tender area. I even went to the gym and worked on chest and arms a couple hours after. No pain while lifting just soreness after. The question is I'm not sure what kind of injury this could be . It's not unbearable pain but surely uncomfortable and makes me question what I did? Any thoughts?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a bruise.  Any black and blue discoloration?  As long as your pain improves and doesn't worsen you're probably good.  I'd forego the gym for upper body workouts and treat yourself gently for a bit.  Devs-Mom

• Posted

No bruising. But pain is steady. Pretty strong. Have broken ribs before ,never in twords the back but have always had trouble with deep breaths and such. This one puzzles me since the pain is strong with none of the normal or go to tell tale sighns
    • Posted

Yes it is puzzling and seems like you are now in strong steady pain which is worse pain than in your first post when after a painful fall you continued to have a tender area and uncomfortable pain but felt like you could go to the gym.  I'm not sure how long age you had your fall but when I fell I didn't have bruising right away.   I also think  trouble breathing with broken ribs.  I thought after a fall and painful deep breathes that I had broken a rib.  Don't know if I did or not because I never went to a doctor after looking up the treatment for a broken rib it said Time.  I always thought you wrapped yourself up tightly.  I'm glad I looked because that was all wrong and can cause a collasped lung by keeping the lungs from fully inflating.  So the treatment was simply being gentle and waiting 2-3 weeks.  If your pain has increased or is increasing rather than decreasing that seems troubling.  Good luck figuring it all out.  I guess Med. school is no option!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.