svt

Posted , 7 users are following.

How long and how high does your heart rate go before you go to hospital? And what symptoms do you get during one?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

They told me no more then 20 minutes if your heart rate goes up in the 130s or more and doesn't go down after vagal maneuvers. Symptoms are racing heart, shortness of breath, dizziness and you can also pass out. Definitely go if you pass out. When I would have an svt I would immediately lay down on my bed, stack a bunch of pillows and elevate my feet and it would calm my heart down. I would try vagal maneuvers before you go to the hospital, it will save you some money. Look up vagal maneuvers on Google. They help a lot.

• Posted

Try running very cold water on your wrists.  Stop and start again when doing this for at least 5 minutes.  The water needs to be almost unbearable cold so sometimes a bowl of ice is just as good.  Then I sit down with my leg up under my chin.  I had an attack yesterday and it stopped after 5 mins after doing this,  It works for me every time.  Also to get someone to massage your shoulders this stopped it too in the past but now I just stick to cold water especailly if i am on my own.  Part of the problem is during an attack you tense and you really need to relax.  Hope this helps.
  • Posted

For myself.... most of the time, my heart rate is anywhere from 220 to 270.  Sometimes it goes up in the 300's and that's when I struggle.  I can't even move because I think my hearts going to explode, I start to see flashing lights, and start blacking out.  I would say, at that point to go to the hospital.  Also, sometimes my SVT's last a few minutes, and the longest I ever had was 2 and half hours.  I did not go to the hospital, because I kept assuming that by the time I got there, it would stop by then.  Anyway, during any and all episodes.. I get short of breath, very hard to even talk, tight feeling and burning feeling in neck, dizzy, lightheaded, racing heart and pounding heart, where you can see my chest pounding just by looking.  I'm sorry I can't answer your question about when you would want to go to the hospital.  My best answer would be that it depends on the person.  If the symptoms are unbearable or it last a lot longer then usual and it won't stop itself.  Best wishes...

• Posted

I don't know if my heart rate has went as high as 300 (Can't even imagine what it would feel like!!! 

By the time I get to hospital mine's is usualyy abou 180 and it totally freaks me out.

You obviously cope with it so much better than me! 

• Posted

It is scary!!! When it goes that high, I want to go the hospital, but I'm scared to move a muscle.  My boyfriend begs me to go, but, I'm so scared to even get in the car, because I feel like my heart is going to explode any second. (not sure if it could happen, but it feels like it). I'm scared if we were to hit bumps in the raod and just moving all together is going to make something bad happen.  Thank goodness it doesn't go that high all the time.  I would say, according to hand held ecg, it averages 260 bpm.  It went up to 300 3 times so far.  But yes.. when that happens, it's pretty bad. I can't see anything but flashing lights and feel like I'm going to black out.  lso, I get so short of breath that it becomes a struggle to talk.  I'm not even positive if they are SVT's, but my heart doctor said that, that's what it looks like on my hand held ecg, so that's what he diagnosed me with. 

• Posted

I just had an svt attack a few days ago. It lasted about 3 hours. My heart rate was about 165 beats per minute the whole time. I was able to breathe comfortably, but I started to get worried when it was longer than 2 hours. I usually splash my face with ice water, lie down and rest, or do a val salva maneuver. My heart rate finally went down after I splashed my face with cold, but not iced, water. Before this episode, I was content not taking any meds, but after the last attack, I decided to take meds to help with my svt and pac's. So far it's working. I went to the ER when I had a svt attack back in May 2012, my heart rate was over 200 bpm and I wasn't able to breathe. I was scared! 

• Posted

I just tried to relax and take deep breaths. I was just worried because it lasted so long. I only went to the hospital once for SVT about 5 years ago. My heart rate went up to 212 beats per minute. The had to give me adenosine 4x through an IV to slow my heart rate. Next week, I will talk to my cardiologist about getting an ablasion. He told me that as I get older, I may get SVT attacks more frequently sad

My primary care physician recommended that I do yoga and  exercise more for my anxiety since I don't want to take anymore meds.

• Posted

How often do you get them? reading through some of th svt forums I am becoming even more frightened by it!?
    • Posted

In the past, I only had 3-4 attacks per year, but just this year in 2017, I've already had 3. Don't be frightened, just do whatever it takes to control it.

You can take meds or get an ablation. Try not to let anxiety control you!

• Posted

Hi. So I'm on a beta blocker to keep my heart normal. But when I have attacks , anything after 130 for me and I would lie down and see if it would lower. But if it continued for me no more than 20 or 30 minutes. If it's not coming down it causes a lot of stress on your heart and your body for that matter. I never passed out but, I get pain in the left side of my neck from tension, tremors, tight throat shortnessnof breath, hot and cold, tingling hands and feet. Feels like I'm dying every time. Very truamatic, so for me 20 or 30 minutes like that feels like forever. Recently I had an attack, so we drove to the hospital but I knew the dr wasn't going to fix me due to the fact I'm on a beta blocker and have anxiety and I had already taken the meds they would have given me...so we sat in the parking lot until it came down on its own. Sounds stupid but I've been to ER too many times..I just needed to feel like I had help if my heart didn't come down on its own. I have a Samsung phone and an app called S health there's a place on the back of the phone to measure heart rate so I check it until i feel it's safe to drive back home. Anyway, there are ways to bring the heart rate down, for me they didn't work, except for lying down. The people on this forum have good tips. Ask questions and see if any of it works for you. I'm sorry you have to deal with this also. But there is support so you are not alone. Take care

• Posted

Thank-You everyone for your replys...I just find the advice given by medical staff to patients with svt very conflicting...One said, Oh your heart can go on for hours at a rate of 160 yet another said, Well my advice would be to head down to the hospital after about 15 minutes if it's not settling at that rate!!!

I think that's what I find realyy unsettling.

• Posted

Hi Gillian

I was in your other discussion, but my iphone has broken and i'm using my PC and I can't find your other message board!

Just wondering how your appointment went. Did you get that referral?

To answer your current question. My heart rate used to go to 240bpm and it would last up to 2 hours - 7 hours was my record when I was first diagnosed.

Clinical advice has always been to be in an ED if it's been going an hour. For me the hospital is 30 mins away, so after half and hour if it hasn't stopped, I would think about getting a lift in. Have the cardiologists prescribed you any rescue meds? Often they will give you a "pill in your pocket" to chew if an SVT starts, that will kick it out in 20 minutes or so most of the time. 

In 10 years i've had adenosine 4 times in hospital, most of the time it used to stop after 30/45 minutes. But everyones different, if your heart rate is lower 150 say, then you might be comfortable to wait longer.

As we get older, it seems to me to take longer to recover from a long episode, so I followed the advice of my cardiology friends and colleagues and took myself off there within the hour.

Hope that helps

Best wishes

Chris

• Posted

Yeah, I got the GP feferral for the sleep study, re the private referral, I discussed it with her and she advised to contact the cardiologist I had seen on the 14th of March first and see if she has had the MDT meeting and if there had been a decision made about me having theEP study! If nothing comes of that I will gor for the private referral.  

Never been offered "the pill in the poclet"

What impact has this had on your life? And do you get frightened?  

I just need some things clarrified in regards of moving on. Seen too many doctors with different oppinions! Also thinking of having some CBT therapy.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.