Red area appeared

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I suffer from hs I had a flare up on Monday and I now have a red area (rash) around the hs that is bigger than my palm it's also very hot I'm beginning to panic I contacted doctor however I think they think it's just a normal flare up. It might be nothing but has anyone had this before I'm scared in case there is an infection hat is spreading

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Maybe they can culture it?  Do you have a fever of any type as well? They did a culture on a flare up I had and somehow it was MRSA.

• Posted

Hi red round the area is infection but don't panic as it won't kill you!   I have had it numerous times.   I usually find ab's work well to stop it and then eventually it will go down and disappear.  Ask your doctor for some antibiotics.  It should eventually start draining anway without treatment.   It's only a big problem if you have other health problems especially immune ones.  If you are otherwise healthy then it will almost certainly sort itself out. 

The only time mine was serious was when I had an abcess bigger than an orange which hurt enormously and the red area covered half my upper leg.  I had to go into hospital to get it incised under a general anaesthetic.

If yours starts getting that big then definitely see the doctor as there is a possibility (unlikey) that it can cause sepsis.  x

• Posted

Thank you for your comments I do have a fever and to be honest I am just battling off the flu so the immune system is probably down hence the outbreak I jut never had it before I'm sure it's nothing it's kinda put my head to ease thanks guys

• Posted

I agree with hypercat, the red is infection, this means it'll probably be a painful episode, so sending my sympathies! Do go and get some antibiotics. 

• Posted

Hi yes I've had this and I think it's an active area to try and bring the site of infection to a head. I used to use magnesium sulphate as a poultice but it can be too painful. Use ice if you can to cool it down but if it gets worse you will need antibiotics or drainage .

• Posted

Often the redness will spread around the infected or inflamed area. So the infection may not be there just redness... I've had some real panics before with incredible pressure and wondering what was going to get squeezed or give way. The body does seem pretty resilient though.

The risk is it will abscess which is not the first time for any of us.

Not sure if some anitinflammatories would help at all.

Write down what you at over the weekend especially Saturday night and Sunday morning.... Ie 12-24 hrs before it happened

• Posted

Well went to doctor and got antibiotics, 3month antibiotic some cream and hibiscrub. It's just the usual I find it so hard to get a doctor to understand what this disease is they just think it's bacterial shall see how I get on this is the sexond long course of anti biotics

• Posted

Hi have you been referred to a dermatologist?  if not you need to ask for it.  They will be able to give you a formal diagnosis and will have knowledge of the best treatment for you.  x

• Posted

Hey no the last 2 outbreaks I have had I have been told I need to try the long course of ab's and other bits and bobs before they refer me. I just don't seem to be getting anywhere. I was hospitalised with a very bad episode and they told me I had to go to dermatologist but my doctors not done anything about it I need to keep fighting for it

• Posted

Change your doctor!   Insist on seeing a dermatologist and don't let them fob you off as it is your right..  I was referred by my doctor no problem but they won't re refer me.   Tell them the dermatologist is the expert on HS and will know of all the latest treatments which the doctors don't know.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.