Broken Ankle

Posted , 5 users are following.

Broke my ankle in 3 places, 4 weeks ago, after postponing surgery 4 times then postponing a cast twice, I spent almost 2 weeks in hospital. I have 2 plates and numerous screws. After 2 weeks in a cast, it was removed and replaced a week ago. Over the last few days, I suffered siatic pain and awful pain in my thigh (same leg) suddenly my knee and toes swelled and it was recommended by a health professional to go to A&E to have my cast removed. They told me to go home and come back the following day for an appointment at 12 for an ultrasound, but to be there at 9 to have the cast removed. I had the cast removed and went to an appointment on another ward at 12 to be told to come back at half 3 for my scan. The scan showed I have a blood clot in my thigh. So they didn't re cast and have replaced with a boot, which is much easier but can I sleep in the boot? I wondered because I should've spent another 3 weeks in a cast. I'm very impatient and desperate to get better soon so don't want to put myself at any risk. Also (nothing to do with it but) just for good measure, my boyfriend left me a little over a week ago. So I now have limited freedom and am left with my thoughts. Feeling rather sorry for myself. Sorry for the rather long winded post. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear Green gee,

So sorry about boyfriend gone right now. Same thing happened to me and I fended for myself in a non weight bearing cast and 2 dogs to care for too.

It's enough to to deal with the broken bones; but a blood clot too?! Take care of yourself. I mail ordered a knee scooter after a week alone. I crawled out by my door and pulled the amazon box in by myself and assembled that knee scooter and it was great for inside the house. But be careful; I flipped on it and fell directly on the foot/ankle with eleven pins and a plate. You can sleep with your boot on. I was lucky to first get my walking boot after 6 weeks of cast. So I was able to take oof the boot at night and elevate the foot on pillows and no sheet on it, totally open to the air. To take out dogs, I hopped one footed with a walker. Worked good. Only two steps to tackle with large landings. Once I could put weight on walking boot, I used crutches at work and when outside of the house. Hang in there. Please follow Dr's orders. You are in a delicate recovery. Elevate and ice and take it easy.

• Posted

Thank you. I've never heard of a knee scooter? Would you know if I can have a bath? It would be bliss if I could wash properly. x

• Posted

Hi Gee

You must sleep with your boot on for least 6weeks if you are goimg to have any cjamce if coming right.Repair to your ankle goimg to take6 months to a year to repair itself

Keep the weight off the ankle for 6 weeks by using crutches.

Sorry about the boy friend. Time to think about yourself amd a full recovery.Regards as always

Mr Ankle

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. Gutted to be keeping the boot on at night. Such bliss to have it off for a while. Thanks again x
  • Posted

Hi Gees gee,

Sorry to here about your boyfriend and the blood clot 🙁

I'm 12 weeks post op ankle repair about breaking both my ankleson back in may due to a riding accident.

You can sleep in the moonboots but I took mine off after 6 weeks and slept with 2 pillows under my ankle for support. Also for moving around and for more independence, I brought I'm iwalk 2.0. It's kept me a bit more sane as I able to get out and about. I was able to even get to the horse, the best way to get one cheap is on eBay. They are normally around £160 but I got mine for about £100. I'm going to resell as I'm now finished with ithe.

Good luck with the recovery

Thanks

Gemma

• Posted

Hi Gemma thanks for the reply. I also ride and that's the first thing people say to me is "did you fall from your horse?" Kinda wish I did, maybe feel worth it. But I just slipped on some decking, gutted! Can't believe you broke both, ouch!! I have amazing people looking after my horse tho, so I'm very lucky in that way.

Can you tell me what an iwalk is, I haven't heard of this. I even thought about hiring a mobility scooter, I find the crutches very difficult, especially since the blood clot in my thigh, I find the weight of my ankle makes the thigh more painful.

Hope your doing well. x

• Posted

Gee gee, 

Before you purchase an i walk I would recommend talking to your doctor.  My daughter was allowed to use one when she was casted before her surgery.  She had ankle surgery and a week later I then had ankle and foot surgery.  The doctor told both of us we were no longer allowed to use the I walk after surgery as the fall rate is too high and the way your leg is strapped in could damage the surgery in a fall.  So after the surgery I got 2 knee scooters and had one on each floor and they were great. Get a basket on it if you get one as it makes your life easier.  But be careful on that too because believe it or not I flipped over the top of it getting onto it one night when I was on my pain medicine.  Luckily I was ok.  I would recommend e bay and a used scooter as the ones I ordered appeared brand new and are much cheaper.  I am sorry about your boyfriend.  Stay positive and focus on all the progress you are making. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.