SVT Ablation tomorrow

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good evening, I have been diagnosed with SVT and have been scheduled for an ablation tomorrow morning. I got diagnossed after I wore an event monitor for a month. It only captured one episode but the cardiologist diagnosed it as SVT. Anyways, I was wondering how often they aren't able to force your heart into an episode during the procedure. I am really looking forward to being cured and I am worried that they aren't going to be able to make my heart react correctly. Thanks for your help!

v/r

Cody

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I just had an ablation 3 weeks ago. They were able to stimulate my heart into SVT multiple times during the 2 hour procedure. I know they used Isupril, not sure what else they did. I'm sure they'll be able to get yours going.

• Posted

Hi Cody,

I know it's hard but try not to worry the success rate of this procedure is like 99%. It really helped me and it's an outpatient procedure so you should be able to go home the same day. I had mine done 3 years ago and I'm wearing an event monitor now to see if it's come back or if it's simply anxiety. SVT is common I've learned and affects a lot of people but the good thing is, it can be cured. Praying for a successful surgery please let us know how it goes. I'm sure everything will be fine.

LaLa

• Posted

Hi,

I had my ablation almost 5 years ago and haven't had SVT since. 

They will give you something to sedate or relax you so it shouldn't feel at all stressful. From what I can remember, mine was over within about half an hour. 

I don't know the statistic, but they do manage to trigger SVT in a very high number of cases and this allows them to identify the right location to work on during the procedure. The success rate for those is very high.

I am told the success rate is even higher for those they have to bring back another day because they couldn't trigger SVT on the first one. So don't worry if you are one of the few that does happen to.

For me, the whole procedure was no worse than just one SVT episode of the same duration (which you know they will end as soon as they are ready). 

The ablation changed my life and my enjoyment of it immensely.  I hope it does the same for you.smile

Do come back and let us know how you get get on 

• Posted

Hello, sorry I couldn't help to read your post and ask a question. Did you feel extremely tired after your ablation and how long did it take for your heart rates to be in the norm? I had mine 2 1/2 weeks ago, heart still healing of course so rates a little high when I'm working they go up to like 120, even when walking. Had a EKG after the ablation, things still good. They tell me I need to give my heart time to heal itself.

• Posted

Hi Maribel,

We're all on here to help each other so you can ask me anything you want. Mine actually went back to normal after I had the ablation. For a while I was scared thinking it was too low being in the low 60s but I didn't know that that was normal since mine had been so high for so long. Everyone's body is gonna heal differently so just give it a little time. What really matters is your resting heart rate though, so check your heart rate as soon as you wake up and see what it is then. Sometimes I can be doing the simplest things like laundry and mine seems to beat fast too. I would give it a little more time to see if it changes. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Maribel. I had my ablation during chemo for blood cancer so I was pretty tired anyway, but I don't remember feeling any worse after the ablation. The heart does take time to heal though, and that might cause some fatigue (and if you're lucky enough to not be used to being in hospotal then it might be a little traumatic too I suppose). I was on a lot of steroids at the time so my heart rate was high-ish most of the time anyway, so can't really give an opinion on that (although 120bpm would seem quite low for SVT related symptoms). 

What I remember best is that for the first month or so I kept noticing a lot of heart thumps, jitters and flutters just like SVT was about to start - but it never did. That either stopped of its own accord or I just stopped noticing it. I still get them sometimes now but don't worry about it at all because I know SVT won't happen so don't really care smile.

I wouldn't worry if I were you, just give it time to settle. Hope it all works out as well as it did for me. All the best

• Posted

I also remember right after My ablation, he said it was a success but I noticed My resting heart rates laying in the hospital bed were in the 90-110s. Now My resting heart rates are in between the 60s-70s. Before they used to be in the 80s. I want to see my regular doctor the other day and he said my heart sounded much better then ever. Thank you.
    • Posted

Hopefully, after a little while, like me you will have no idea what your resting or active heart rate is because you no longer have a reason to worry about it.smile

• Posted

Ok well that is great! Try not to worry I almost worried myself to death just waiting for something to happen. My anxiety had gotten so bad. You'll be fine ?

• Posted

Thank you ?yeah I'm just tired of being tired. Haven't been able to work full time just yet. Trying to take it easy.

• Posted

I know right, me too. Hey but who wouldn't when it comes to the heart. Thank you very much ?

• Posted

So yesterday I made a mistake, I carried some groceries up the stairs, I'm sure it was probably like 15lbs total. Soon as I got up the stairs I got some chest pain, it almost felt like it wanted to race but then it stopped. I haven't had any chest pain since. Heart rate went back to normal. But that was a scare. I don't even know what my heart rate was when my chest starting hurting. I'm just glad it stopped, was a little out of breath.

• Posted

Hi Cody,

?I was one of the unfortuate people who had an unsuccessful ablation attempt because they were uable to trigger an attack during the procedure.  I was having quite regular attacks of SVT prior to it so I was surprised and upset when it didn't work.  However they tried again 6 months later and then it was quite straightforward and sccessful.  This was last June and I've been free of syptoms since then,

My message to you is there's a high chance it will work first time but if it doesn't you can try again and even again until it can be done successfully.

Good luck!

• Posted

I just had an ablation about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I'm not sure what they do to make your heart race but I imagine some kind of adrenaline. I was sedated when they started all of that, I think they got it to race 3 times, I felt. Mine was for svt and wpw. My procedure only lasted 1hr and a half as they said it went very well. Make sure you ask a lot of questions after your procedure. Expect to be really tired for a couple of days, so take it easy as your heart is healing itself and don't get scared if you feel a few skipped beats and palpitations and then they will also tell you that you have a blaming period of three months for your heart to heal completely. Your heart may also be a little eleveated sometimes but it will be due to the irritation and inflammation of the heart. But yes I would write down any questions you have for the doctor after, you might be out of it when he ask if you have any. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.