Need a little advice on PIP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am presently trying to fill in my PIP form (it feels like I am writing a whole autobiography!). The form has to be returned by the 28th Feb but I have my first appointment with the Pain Clinic on the 27th. Should I phone them and ask for more time to complete the form so that I know what the Pain Clinic has said to me, or just mention that I have an appointment?

Also, is it normal to have to go for the medical for PIP or is it a bit easier to get than the ESA? I failed my ESA appeal on Tuesday and cried the whole way through and then went a completely 'hysterical' in the waiting room when I was told the result.. Wasn't nice. I already felt so done with everything and all the endless questions and being made to feel like a liar and a fraud. I'm so tired ot having to 'explain myself' over and over and over. However, having calmed down a bit I have spoken to Welfare Rights and am applying again as I only got my new diagnosis of Fibromyalgia last month. So here I go again....Anyway, my point is, I know the PIP isn't actually as important to me as the ESA but I don't think I have the energy physically, mentally, and certainly not emotionally to go through the same ordeal for the PIP payments, when I may be facing another horrendous fight for the ESA.

Sorry, my simple question kind of got a bit more complicated there!

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thank you,

Mari

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mari,

I don't know a lot about ESA as I'm retired and went from DLA to PIP.

With regards to the PIP forms, my advice to you would be to not just tick boxes, but to explain how your condition affects your everyday living.  

I sent in a separate sheet of paper for every question and my friend typed (my words) in detail, exactly why for example, I need help with dressing / undressing, putting on socks and shoes etc.  What prevents me from doing these tasks unaided and what would happen if I attempted to do them alone.  I fall a lot and as I have osteoporosis, am at great risk of breaking something.  I've already broken one leg and both wrists.

The same with showering, getting in and out, washing hair and feet and then drying them.  Go into as much detail as you can (it really depressed me when I read through it all afterwards) but if that is how it is, there is no point in trying to cover it up. 

I cannot prepare food due to the pain caused by holding a knife and cannot lift even a very small pan due again to the pain and weakness in my hands.  I have badly scalded myself several times when my hands gave way.

If your mobility is poor, explain why, not just because you have a certain ailment, but how that ailment manifests itself and affects your mobility. 

Go through every single question, you will probably find yourself repeating a lot you have already written, but better to have too much than not enough.  You can find a lot of information on the CAB website and Benefits and Works website, amongst others. Good luck. x

• Posted

Hi Sukes, thank you for your reply, it was very helpful. I'm sorry you are in such a bad way. I have to admit I am terrified for the future. I'm not quite as bad as you but my teenage daughter helps me a lot with housework and cooking (otherwise nothing would be done!) but she will be leaving home in perhaps one or two years and I honestly can't think how I will manage. My son is only 10 just now and the last thing I want is for my children to have to look after me sad

• Posted

i thinkyou should telepone the pain clinic and explain the situation ask f you could bring it in with you so they can help you with filling it out. maybe they can forward a letter of their findings to the ESA on your behalf
  • Posted

You poor thing Mari, listen, try and get yourself a welfare officer, they are free and normally find them at local housing offices, they will help you fill in the form and support you in every way, your esa has to be appealed and they will help with that as well, my sister is going through the exact same thing and has found an angel of a welfare officer and is helping her with every query. Good luck and big hugs
    • Posted

Hi Trisha, thank you. This is will be my third application for ESA. I have completely lost the plot now! Yes, I have spoken to welfare and they are going to help me with the ESA this time, and the PIP form. Hopefully they will do a better job than me!! The only thing I've had help with before was my recent appeal tribunal. That was with citizens advice. I have to say though I feel so let down by them. The first lady I saw was lovely and submitted my request for an appeal. But then when it came to actually drawing up the appeal letter I met with someone else...for about an hour at the most. Then the next time I saw anyone was at the tribunal and it was someone I had never met and he didn't even know it was for an ESA appeal!!! He was a nice guy but did nothing to help. To say I was 'in a bit of a state' would be a gross understatement! I'm also now wondering if I should speak to the GP again about my mental health. I've been on 40mg Citalopram for about a year but I often feel like I am going insane (and act like it). I am ashamed to say that when I got the result of the tribunal on Tuesday I exploded. Or melted. Or cracked up! I screamed and shouted and broke down and felt like I was zoning out. Some lady came running in to help and I remember trying to grab onto her with my eyes shut. I felt like I needed to cling onto someone. It was complete panic, desperation and despair. I made quite a scene. I'm so completely embarrased thinking about it now but it just came out. I wasn't in control of myself at all. But I break down at home too, and rage and cry and get irritable over stupid things. My brain just can't cope. I have tried to get this across at the GP's before but I don't feel they have really taken it what a problem it is. I can feel quite happy and be laughing at something with my teenage daughter (she is very funny!) and then maybe my son will do something like knock a juice over and I just can't cope! It will be like the end of the world! I know that's not normal! I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I'll just add that I don't think it's all down to the fibro. I came out of a 20 year relationship with a complete narcissist in 2014. I was already a train wreck before the fibro flared up!

Oh lordy lord. Sorry trisha, I've gone on a bit (as I seem to do!).

• Posted

For one thing don't you worry, I'm happy to listen, I might need you to listen to me sometime this is what we are here for and another thing don't be embarrassed about breaking down, if anything the dip should be ashamed of themselves putting you through all of this. I swear it makes my blood boil to the way some of us really ill people are treated. Consistency is what you need in the way of help, I had the same welfare officer from start to finish as well as my sister has. They can be such a crutch for everything, they know what they are doing, so please try and get that. Eventually when I went for a pip appeal I signed a disclaimer allowing them to get all of my doctors records, they paid for it and I had nothing to hide. Turns out the best thing I ever did, they couldn't believe how thick my notes were, and that was only for the past year. If you ever need anyone to have a rant at, use me, I don't mind, I can relate to you in every way and that's what we all do here. Sending warm 🤗 hugs

• Posted

Thank you Trisha, your reply means alot. I feel completely loopy! I managed to get an extension on my PIP form so I can go to pain clinic first, and have an appointment with welfare to help fill the form out. Just have to TRY (rolleyes) and get a GP appointment for tomorrow then I will apply for the damn ESA again! 

Thank you again. I really do appreciate your kind words. Mari xxxxx

• Posted

Your welcome and I meant every word, if you need to vent, we are all here and good luck xxx
    • Posted

Hi Trisha, well I'll take you up on that offer right now if you don't mind!? I have a GP appointment later. With someone I've never heard of! Think they must be a locum. Do you or other people have this problem? It's so so difficult to ever get an appointment at my health centre and during my to-ing and fro-ing over the past couple years I've seen three GP's (might be 4...who knows!?). How am I meant to get consistent care if I never see the same person more than two times in a row? There is one GP that has treated me the most but I think she tires of me. She has told me off before about taking too much time and I felt so fobbed off by her and another GP there that I started to doubt myself. If it wasn't for a third GP (who I saw only the once!) I wouldn't be sitting here right now with my Fibro diagnosis. I was hoping to see her again today because she was the only one that actually listened to me, but now I'm stuck with someone I don't know. I need to talk to them about my mental health, but how can they really assess me if they have never met me before!!? I have to do it today as I have been putting off going to the GP for various reasons and I need a sick line which I can tell the JSA adviser about tomorrow and also to send off with for the ESA.

I'm going to tell this GP today about my meltdown at the tribunal and my mood swings. I'm really confused about my depression/anxiety. I know that a lot of it is definitely from the pain and sheer frustration of the fibro. But even apart from that, I just don't feel like I can function 'out there' anymore. I think I mentioned my ex husband in another post. Well he was your textbook narcissist (which I denied to myself but eventually had to acknowledge after counsellor thought otherwise!). And he broke me. He really really broke me. My head feels so messed up. And I know people don't realise how bad, because I put on a 'front'. And I'm a natural smiler. I can't help it! It's my downfall I think. Sometimes I can't hide it of course...like the meltdown in public last week redface But actually saying out loud to someone that I just cannot cope with a 'normal' life anymore sounds like I'm just trying to avoid getting back out there. And I haven't wanted to admit it to myself but I always just go along with what others say. I always feel (by GP's included) 'jollied along'. But nothing changes. I still always feel the same. And it's not that I don't want to enjoy life. I just can't deal with the concept of 'normal'. My brain just can't deal with that.  I don't know, maybe it's just the fatigue!

Oh, I don't even know what it is I'm asking your advice on here. Just feel lost and confused.

• Posted

Hi mari34228, just wanted to assure you that I can relate to everything you have posted here so, if nothing else, I can reassure you that you are not alone, all your thoughts and feelings are valid, you're not losing the plot.  Feeling lost and confused, that is my redefined 'normal' it would appear eek .

• Posted

First thing is yes, they will be able to assess your mental state, they have a guideline and they ask you questions fro it and it tells them how depressed you are, don't you worry about how much time your taking, that's their problem, and yes you do have to tell them about the other day because I would say that your reaction, although natural does probably say your not coping, that's what that doctor is there today for, YOU! Let me know how you get on

• Posted

Please make sure you tell them your not coping, they have to listen to that xxx
    • Posted

Thank you. And thank you for using the word 'valid'. That little word means a lot. xxx

• Posted

Hi Trisha, yes I will do. It's so hard to admit these things about yourself. I hate asking for help, but nowadays that's all I want. Just to collapse in a heap and everyone rush round me! But you are right, and I promise to do it! I need to get this across to someone.

Thank you again. xoxox

• Posted

Well I take back what I said. The locum could not have been nicer. Lovely, paitient, and I'm guessing semi-retired, gentleman. Asked the right questions and gave me time to talk. He was brilliant biggrin Upshot of all that though is he is refering me to a psychiatrist!!! Not particularly what one wants to hear, but I feel so much better not to have been fobbed off (again).  xxxxxx

• Posted

I'm so pleased that someone listened to you Mari, it must have given you a bit of a lift.

• Posted

Brilliant, and don't worry about psychiatrist, that's good news, it means your being taken seriously, and you will get all the care you need without a time limit on it. So yeh!!!!

• Posted

Hi Sukes, thank you, yes it has lifted me a bit. Best wishes to you xxx
    • Posted

Haha! Yeh indeed! cheesygrin Thank you for your support and advice trish. xxx

• Posted

Any time, I've honestly been in your position, that's why I get it. Big hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.