Hi, am new here, had right hip o/a for past 9 yrs, but also am surviving breast cancer, am bit depre

Posted , 4 users are following.

Am a newbie, was diagnosed with hip o/a 9 yrs. ago when I was 49. but since then had breast cancer too. Am hopefully clear of b/c, but am in lots of pain in my hip. I always rode my horse, and now am wondering if I can ever ride again? My surgeon says he will do a hip replacement but I am so scared, as I have had so many ops. with b/c 4 yrs ago. Can physio help me? Mant thanks, Liss.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there and welcome.

you've had your fair share of health problems by the sounds of it and hopefully you are clear of your brest cancer.  

I think with regards to the Osteo, everyone is different. I too have it really bad in my hips and have a job walking some days.  I know of people who have had a hip replacement and although they are free of pain, I'm not sure how they would get on riding a horse.  It sounds as though your surgeon seems to think that an operation would give you the movement to be able to ride again.  I can understand you being scared to go ahead after so many ops, it must be such a difficult decision for you to make.  I wish you all the very best.

• Posted

Hi, thanks so much for an answer, I think I have become a coward after b/c surgery, but I so want to be "normal" again. I will try to get through with painkillers, so I can ride again, but I do not want to feel woozy! cheers, Liss

• Posted

I doubt you have become a coward Liss, it's more like you have had enough and just want it all to go away.  Maybe have a serious word with your susrgeon and ask his honest opinion about the possibilities of riding again following a replacement hip. x

• Posted

First of all ...... Yaaaaay! For You! Kicking Breast Cancer in the face and nuts and surviving that wretched Beast!!!!! I'm extremely sorry for your battle yet I am so very proud of the strength and courage and faith it took you to win that war!!! OK, I had to get that out of my system first!!!

Now, I have osteoarthritis my self and I am also new here so I'm just trying to catch on, get some kind of help/support perhaps make a friend or 5 😇& hopefully what little I Do know will help someone in return. My O.A. is so much worse in my right hip so I can definitely get where you are coming from there

! I honestly don't know if PT will help you or not in postponing replacement surgery. I am going to dodge that bullet for as long as possible. My pain management Dr did try something on me that could maybe help you. She gave me an injection

Containing steroids and I'm not sure what else right I the sacroiliac joint. She warned me that the results vary from person to person but wouldn't know until we tried. The doctor had to give me the shot (not nurse or assistant) and after laying belly down for about 20mins or so she got me off the table and I almost burst out with joyi I was pain Free in that hip and leg for the first time in years! She told me that that if it helped could be given one is very couple !months. She has had patients go pain free for days,weeks,months depending. I was in shock when left her office because it didn't hurt to walk on etc. Unfortunately my relief only lasted about 36hours tho. So waste of time, money for me to do it again. However this just may be Exactly what YOU Need right now!!! Gosh I hope so! It's definitely worth asking your doctor about!!!! Good Luck! & God Bless!!!!!!!

• Posted

Hi I read your blog and just wanted to comment as I have arthritis and have had my fair share of ops over the years but I too ride and when I get in the saddle the pain is terrible for about the first 10 mins especially in my right hip then it subsides, I have found if i point my feet downwards its a bit better then gradually raise them to the correct riding position. I used to keep one of my horses with a family friend who rode well into her 80's. We built a mount block specially for her and taught her horse to go up to it it get her on and off on it but in the end she had her hip operated on and was back in the saddle after quite a few months (doesn't happen instantly) and she was back to normal and she even fell off and survived! I would ask your surgeon but  see no reason why you can't ride after it - it will be stronger than a normal hip!! Go for it I say. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.