Osteo medication

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Im a 54 year old woman and have osteoarthritis in most of my joints and lower back,ive had it now for about 7 years,maybe longer,just wanted to know what pain meds others get for this problem or any medication worth trying..My pain is getting worse now,and some days i just cant move or stand without great difficulty,any thoughts would be great.Ps i had a right total knee replacement 2 years ago also ..

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your pain issues from OA, I now have it in multiple places too and pain is a constant burden.  I have real issues with some pain meds - opiods like Tramadol etc I cant take because they make me vomit and even paracetamol and ibuprofen give me really bad stomach issues.  I'm trying out curcumin capsules (the active ingredient in turmeric) which are meant to be anti inflammatory and I've also researched which foods are prone to cause inflammation and which can help with it - working them into my diet. I've only just started the food changes so too early to tell but if it works and I can avoid too many pills I'll be happy.  Also very good for inflammatory pain (which OA is) is ginger - buy the fresh stuff and either mince it and mix with hand cream and spread onto the bit that hurts or put the minced ginger into boiling water, add lemon and drink like tea.  It works really well.

• Posted

Thanks Louie for sharing your tips,I shall certainly try the tea and I've read before about Turmeric,I do take Tramadol but it no longer helps my pain .

• Posted

I hope you find something that works for you rolling stone - I'm sort of glad I could never take tramadol, a friend of mine is on higher and higher doses of it and she's now almost a zombie at times, so sad.  The ginger really does help.  I have OA in my thumb joints and they are killer painful at times.  I slap on loads of hand cream with ginger mixed in, put on cotton gloves then sit and relax all evening.  By the time I go to bed the pain has really gone down a good few notches, definitely enough to let me sleep.

• Posted

I've just remembered something else I was recommended a while ago but forgot to try - capsaicin cream.  It's well known as an analgaesic.  I shall go buy some to try it - will give anything a try...... 

• Posted

Hi,, like you I have O A both knees ,hands ,elbows,, I'm 57 never been offered knee replacements

I was on codydramol for 5 years,, worked at first then 2years ago pain gotworse,, Dr gave me

Fenbid forte cream n 60mg cocodamol 4 times a day,, I'm now still taking

The 240mg a day,, using fenbid forte three times a day n movelat 4 times a day

Dr said "what do you expect your a woman " also been diagnosed with pitted odema,, so pain is worse

N like you on. Daily basis I have trouble walking or standing,, still haven't been offered replacement knees

I'd like to say yes the various pain killers help,, but there must be a point in us all,, where enough is enough

I hope you find somekthing to ease your pain as I know what your going through

Take care gentle hug Jayne xx

• Posted

Hi Jayne. Here in Australia, they don't like to do knee joint replacements on females who are under 60 years of age. I did have one at 55. I have had nothing but trouble with it. Still in pain, swelling and stiffness along with lack of bendage.I have also had septic arthritis and cellulitis in replaced knee  leg. I have found that even morphine doesn't work for pain.So I just push on regardless and take each day as it comes. I am having stem cell treatment on my other knee, which did need to be replaced. So far I have had very promising results. Less pain, less intensity of pain and less length of pain.

• Posted

I have found that the pain meds don't work that well and I don't want to go the strong drug route as they send me to asleep. My surgeon has done 2 finger joint replacement and now pain free

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear your struggling. It's a horrible battle we have with this disease. I already had lumber and cervical arthritis both knees and left shoulder wrists . I had a subarachnoid haemorrhage in November 16 and since then I am practically wheelchair bound, I can't stand too long my lower back and now both hips hurt so badly and I get what I can only describe as wobbly legs and my balance is very poor. I'm on high dosage gabapentin, Meptazamole and oramorph. It's a high cocktail and I still can't sleep properly.

Keep fighting this horrible battle with all your might or it will take over

• Posted

My rheumatologist wants to put me on gabapentin but i'm keen now to stay off pharmaceuticals as long as I can - none of them are 100% effective and most give me awful side effects.  Here's hoping by eating more anti inflammatory foods I can keep the pills at bay.

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your pain and everyone's pain in this thread.  I had very bad pain in my fingers up to the second joint for years...my fingers are all crooked now and it spread into my elbows and I was diagnosed with Advanced OA in my lower back.  I was in horrible shape for sometime suffering terribly and then went gluten free...well the difference was unbelievable...over a little bit of time the fingers quit hurting and swelling and then the elbows quit and now I am back to exercising and living life.  If inflammation does decide to kick in in my lower back I use Serrapeptase from the Health food store.  The Serrapeptase works within taking it for a week.  I no longer suffer constantly.  Hope this helps someone. 

• Posted

Hi,

Constant pain is a struggle, I've faced this for one and a half years now. I've got osteoarthritis in my wrist. I've tried the usual medication such as tramadol etc but didn't work. I researched the most effective treatment and discussed this with my GP. I am now taking zomorph (morphine) I'd rather not but the pain I've been in was excruciating. Its short term until I have surgery in a few weeks time. I don't a suffer any side effects luckily but everyone is different I know.

I hope you get something which helps you really soon ??.

Love and hugs

Ashley

X

• Posted

oh thats just like me... i same age female had this for years had osteo in neck spine since early 20's has got worse over the years, also have prolapsed discs, L4 and L5 base os spine is worse but middle of spine worse when walking etc, i have had MRI which shows osteo in both hips and knees, latley for last few weeks constantly everyday  my knees feel stiff as if i have weights on them and as if there strapped up and swollen,my feet also painful when walking after 5 mins i am in terrible discomfort and pain  this is when walking or climbing stairs etc,and first thing in morning and after resting when i get up,I cant walk without this discomfort and pain , i want to walk my dog or go out for the day without being in agony  i have also been told i have joint hypermobility and physio and gp both said alot of problems in knees are coming from that to as well as the osteo in the knee. ...if i am sat down or not moving about etc there ok no pain etc ...ive been back to gp and been given Arcoxia which does help but i have been told i can only take it for a maximum of 10 days then have to have a break from it ....... i also have high blood pressure tablets

?are these symptoms norma lof  OA in the knee ( the heavy aching feeling as if i have weights on them when i walk and pain...( not stabbing or sharp pain just a aching stiff feeling, and can this be 24/7 other than when say down or resting or asleep ? ) this symptoms as only started in last few weeks in my knees....also i have OA & Mortons neuromas in my feet discovered when i had bunionand hammertoe  surgery x rays, oh and in my little fingers....its easier to say probably which joints i dont have OA insad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.