Op on 7th February now 16th

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys. Wednesday-Another good night sleep but felt drained & a little weak during yesterday. Had a phone call from stoma nurse & seeing them next Wednesday as fingers crossed I haven't any problems with Stanley the Stoma & I'm emptying & changing the bag ok. Had 'neighbours coffee morning' visit yesterday & a friend poppped in for tea in the afternoon. Fairly tired as didn't get a nap after lunch.

Today Thursday had appointment at doctors surgery to get dressing looked at where I'd split the skin coughing. Didn't fancy pulling it off myself & then not know how to deal with. Nurse said dressing definitely needed changing but was not infected. She called the doctor into the room to also look at cut point near to stoma that feels sore but that is also ok. Got some good advice & guidance re having stoma. I'm definitely Not drinking enough water. Apparently 2 litres or more which we worked out roughly as 10 tall glasses. Always have water with meal but don't always drink all. Everything else going well. I'm pleased & surprised that I sleep all night unaware of Stanley & no waking early & rushing to the loo! So all's good. B x

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

That is amazing news 3Bustergut

I am so pleased to hear your great news and look practise makes perfect I wish you a very speedy recovery make sure you rest and if you need any advice always happy to share take care 😊🤞

• Posted

Really good to hear you and Stanley are doing well! Seems like you're getting used to it slowly.

My stitches split, I say stitches split but it was the skin right at the bottom. The stoma nurse checked my records and said this is where they had attached the rectum inside, so may take a little longer to heal, but with a bit of cleaning everyday it soon healed back together.

Anyway, small steps and so happy to hear your update! 😊

• Posted

Hi Shal75 that's sounds exactly what's happened to me. They use glue? Felt very tight & coughing didn't help. More comfortable now.

B x

• Posted

Wish we could put photos on here, mine just didn't join together like the rest of the wound/cut did! But yeah coughing and sneezing hurts a bit, I used to have to put a tea towel over it when I had the need to cough or sneeze or just put my hand over it!

It will be tight for a while but the relief when you have them taken out is soooo good lol Minus the actual slight pain of them being pulled out!

Hopefully your stoma nurse should be visiting you at home soon to check on your stoma and stitches, so any issues let him/her know beforehand as they will usually bring a bag full of stuff to try and sort the problem.

S x 😊

• Posted

Hi Shal75

Got a hospital appointment with stoma nurse next Wednesday 22nd, don't think ours do home visit. Also implied stitches dissolvable.. yes pics would help explain but maybe too graphic for some! Lol. I was told by pyschio to hold my bath towel tightly across my stomach when coughed. Unfortunately didn't always get in in time. B x

• Posted

Did you have the one cut down your stomach or the 4 small cuts. I had the long cut down my stomach as my colon had swollen too much for the 4 small cuts.

But so much better for you if they just dissolve, rather than being pulled out.....ouch!

Hope your doing even better today!

Sx

• Posted

Hi Shal75 l had keyhole surgery. 5 small incisions. Cut in belly button. Cut above stoma, cut to my right of stoma, cut on left side level with stoma & cut lower left pelvic area plus a cut about 3" long along bikini line my left side. All small cut dissolvable stitches bigger cut looks like glue maybe stitches? Cut to my right of stoma deeper & sore. My doctor at my surgery said probably where camera went in. My stoma nurse observed my op. The cut on bikini line is where they draw up the amount of rectum they want & staple off. The cut in belly button has an condom like thing inserted which then expands greatly & that is where your bowel is removed via. Amazing!

• Posted

Quite amazing how they do these surgeries! I think your proceedure is meant to be less painful than the one big cut, but no doubt you're in equally as much pain.....I feel for you, I remember that feeling!

Hope you're improving each day.

Sx

• Posted

Hi Shal75 I'm not in that much pain considering. Just aches & pains like back ache & occassional sharp twinges in pelvic area. I guess keyhole recovery could be quicker to heal?! Taken out for a drive today to see the snowdrops & had lunch out. Now home & knackered! Lol.

• Posted

Wow you're doing better than I was, I don't think I was able to get out for a few weeks!

But that's great and snowdrops.....that must of been nice to see! Easy does it on the days out though.

Sx

• Posted

Hi B, respect for sleeping all night,you are doing well. What a change!

Can I ask, do you have a mucous fistula too? I think there is a variation on the form of the operation. 

• Posted

Hi sheila91262

No I don't have that- had to look up what it was. I have some rectum left & stapled off & I have the stoma bag from small intestine. B x

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I would say that it is a good thing for you not to have a mf as my son found it got in the way of his stoma bag and so the bag didn't stick down all around and therefore leaked. When he had his reversal, the sewing up of his external mf was his favourite bit as it was a pain. He woke up with the stoma as an emergency so didn't get a say in the type of surgery. It never was really explained, maybe as his UC was so active they wanted the mf to drain externally. He had to dress that too and take meds to dry up the output. Are you med free now? 

• Posted

That sounds tough for your son & im glad I didn't have that. I guess because his was emergency & mine elective. I was on 20mg steroids when had the op plus calcium & gastro tablet daily. They stopped my Vedolizuma infusions I think in January when it became apparent it wasn't of any benifit to me. They're upped my steroids to 30mg reducing by 5mg every 5 days. That will take me nearer to my 6 week check up after op. Fingers crossed No problem (inflammation) from bowel left in rectum! 🤞🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.