motion sickness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Can anyone give me advise, I have booked my first cruise, its 14 days into the italian med, the problem i have is that i suffer with motion sickness and was wondering if anyone has any advise on which medication i should be taking for this, to complicate things even more, i have had a Nissan Fundiplication procedure, which means i should not vomit as the procedure could be reversed or worse.

However it is  holiday of a lifetime for the better half and i would like to go. Any suggestions on medication / treatment i can try. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Most pharmacists can advise on medication, and you could also ask your doctor about it, particularly given your circumstances.

If it's any consolation, I suffered from severe car sickness up to the age of about 30 and have really debilitating sea sickness when crossing the English Channel to this day. However, sea sickness has never affected me on any other stretch of water anywhere else in the world. I once crossed the Pearl River estuary from Hong Kong to Macau in a small ferry boat when a typhoon was blowing up and everything inside the boat that wasn't nailed down was flying around. I was absolutely fine!

I've made many trips in the Mediterranean and have never had a moment's trouble. Even the somewhat rougher Aegean part of the Med doesn't bother me at all.

Just because you've had motion sickness on one kind of transport, or even on one particular sea, it doesn't mean you'll automatically get it on this trip. And don't forget cruise ships are usually well stabilised.

Get some proper medical advice, then go ahead and enjoy your cruise!

• Posted

Thank you for the reassurance and your sharing your experiences, the channel ferry has always been a problem for me also, but have not done it for about 15 years now.

I will seek medical advise and go from there.

Thanks again

• Posted

A sailor I knew in my misspent youth once told me there's something special about the Channel, and it's famous for making even the professionals sick. He said it's because the swell runs in both directions, causing "corkscrewing" of the boat. I don't know whether that's true or not, but it's certainly the only body of water in the world that has any effect on me.

• Posted

Hi,

Cinnerazine(stugeron) is what my wife uses for sea sickness.  This can be bought over the counter from the chemist in the UK.

Best wishes

Laurence

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.