Multiple small fibroids

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 31 years old and have had ongoing issues with very heavy and painful periods since I was a teen.

I had a scan today and was told that I have multiple small fibroids and that my womb was very coarse and patchy

I live in the UK and wondered what my treatment options may be. I have children and was sterilised at the age of 25 (due to the dangers of any further pregnancies).

My periods are having a huge impact on my life and I can't leave the house during my period due to flooding and pain. I would like a hysterectomy and I believe that I meet the criteria according to NICE guidelines (I have tried so many different types of treatment including numerous contraceptives, both types of coil, tranexamic and mefenemic acid, northisterone etc). Obviously given my sterilisation, fertility is not an issue.

Does anyone know what options I'm likely to have?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carrie,

Heavy periods since you were a teen are a sign of endometriosis.  I also have endometriosis.  One in ten women have it and don't even know it.  It causes incredibly heavy bleeding with pain thrown in for good measure.  There are two of the five treatment options that are used for fibroids that can be applied for endometriosis as well.  In studies on both endo and fibroids the results have shown that physically active women who regularly exercise will have less symptoms and complications.

The small fibroids you have now are likely not responsible for the heavy bleeding and pain you have been encountering since your teens.  But they can be responsible for your bleeding as a woman in your 30's.  There are different types of fibroids and they will grow attached to the uterus in different places inside and outside the uterus walls.

Treatments can include removal by myomectomy of the fibroids where possible (some can't be removed without hysterectomy).  Hysterectomy, which does have complications and risks associated while cutting the uterus away from other organs.  Embolization which is where a chemical is put in veins that feed blood to the uterus, thus killing them.  The risk here is that the overies can be damaged.  And we need our overies even after menopause.  There is ablation, which is the burning of the uterus lining to reduce/stop bleeding.  But ablation has very little effect on stopping fibroid growth.  Hormone treatment can stop all bleeding for a three month period and in most cases will shrink fibroids for easier removal or treatment.  And then there is focused ultrasound using MRI guidance, this method burns the fibroids from the inside out.  This has good results with older women.

Keep in mind that as long as we have hormones and blood to our uterus, fibroids will grow.  Google all the methods for fibroid treatment.  Have your doctor refer you to a gynocologist.  And make an educated decision that is best for you and your health.  Many of the methods mentioned are only possible if conditions are right with the patient's health and the size of the fibroids.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I have done quite a lot of research so am well aware of my options (I'm also a medical professional so have fairly good understanding).

Unfortunately any hormonal treatment is likely to be inappropriate for me so my options are mainly surgical. Thankfully my scan was in preparation for my gynae appointment in April so no need for any referrals. I just wondered how successful people have been in having a hysterectomy approved in.similar situation. When I was sterilised it was all a bit of an ordeal and involved rather a lot of arguing my case. Obviously, fertility is no longer an issue for me so I'm hoping it'll be easier this time round.

Out of interest, would endometriosis not have been visible on the scan that I've just had? I've always had a lot of the symptoms of PCOS and to be honest, I thought that was the cause of my issues but my ovaries appear to be completely normal.

Thanks again for your reply.

• Posted

Endometriosis is absolutely not able to be found using any scan, MRI or ultrasound.  It appears as a clear jelly like substance in early stages, changing colour as it ages and turns into blackish scar tissue as it burns out at the end of it's life cycle.  The lack of solid substance makes it undetectable except to the naked eye.  The human eye can see the clear jelly like adhesions as it is attached to organs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.