TVT repair - how long does it last?

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if there are ladies out there who have had a TVT (trans vaginal tape) repair for stress incontinence and who can tell me how long you remained dry for. I had the tape inserted (along with other things) on 17 November 2016 and have not looked back, it's fantastic. I can sneeze, jump, cough, laugh and I'm completely dry...love it!

I'm wondering how long it lasts for and if there are any activities that compromise how long it will last.

Your experience / help is always appreciated!

4 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That sounds brilliant! Let's hope it lasts a long time! I haven't had that so can't help.

• Posted

Hi gymgirl,

Glad to hear all is going so well, unfortunately can't comment on tvt tape but sure someone will be able to help.

My neighbour had something similar and like you she is well pleased. She couldn't make it down to toilet in the morning and now problem completely solved.

Not sure how long she has had it, told me about it a year ago so already had had it in for at least a couple of years probably longer.

She lives very active life, she is almost 59, looks after toddler/grandchild, had just moved house 2 years ago always bust decorating, or out in the garden. Doesn't work so maybe retired. Always out walking with pram/dog.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Phyl x?

• Posted

It should last at least 10 years.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron. Is there any activities that will put stress on it and perhaps reduce that time? I live a really active life and feel I can do so much more than before, which is amazing. I just don't want to ruin or jeopardise the result.

• Posted

Urogynaecologists will say carry on as you did before your prolapse because this tape is considered secure. Occasionally it may need adjusting but that is a minor procedure and it is quite rare. I imagine you are active so I would do everything you want to and remember the pelvic floor exercises x
    • Posted

TVT is really great then Matron for stress incontinence!

My sister 9 years older than me just starting to get slight prolapse problems that have got worse over winter, she had joined walking club and gym last few years. She has appointment today at consultant so waiting to head how she gets on.

She refuses to read anything or inform herself via Internet so hasn't a clue what they will say.

Phyl x

Years great news for gymgirl?!

• Posted

Meant 'that''s great news for gymgirl '!

• Posted

It is truly a breakthrough in urogynaecology phyl and can be performed under a local. I have a friend/ex neighbour who had the surgery last year and she said it has changed her life. I'm starting to have a few problems in that department unfortunately and I would seriously consider it.

• Posted

You can read horror stories on any thing but the success far out weighs and there is risk in anything we do and so my advice is to research to find the best surgeon in your country and if you have to travel it will be well worth it. This is my experience, choose the best.

I had 1 fb friend send me a link to a fb group which is negative mesh I didn't open the link I stayed focus and positive and I told myself that I want this and it's going to be amazing - I certainly didn't tell myself things like " I hope it works" or " I hope the mesh doesn't go wrong " I visualised great outcome - the mind needs to sync posivitly with the body. That is my belief xxx

• Posted

I had a tvt about 18 years ago in Mandurah Western Australia and have no problems at all.

• Posted

Matron can you advise? I’m 15 months post tvt and doc thinks tape may be eroding as I have pain, jaggy uncomfortable feeling, burning pain etc. If I undergo a complete tvt removal is the continence likely to stay at level before op or worsen? Also what’s the recovery time and do you recommend I ask any particular questions such as a preferred route for the op etc? Any help gratefully received. 
  • Posted

I had it done last April and it great not having to worry about peeing. My only problem is that I have terrible urgency and have come close to having a leak. But gyny said tape didn't solve that but since op it's worse and he said he can give me tablets to sort that out but I said I'd just try and manage it at mo. Have to say having the tvt has been best thing I've done. My confidence is much better now.

• Posted

I've noticed I have a little more urgency than before too. Nothing I'd consider worrying about just yet though.

TVT has given me my life back, I am one happy gymgirl smile

• Posted

This is great reading these positive tvt stories. I'm already seeing the benefits and it's only been 5 days. I'm exited about my future with no pads! As well as my prolapse repair which I hope works, no more bladder between my thighs when I walk so it's defiantly done something. So far so good

• Posted

Well done .. stay focused on what you want to happen not what you don't want .. tell your mind what you want.

I'm happy to give anyone hypnotherapy if they need it before or after their surgery. It also helps with fear xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.