16 weeks post rotar cuff surgery still in pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone in a similar position?

I had rotar cuff repair, end of October 2016 I had an excellent PT who reassurred me that I was ahead of the game. I have now transferred to another PT who is ok, does more band work  and I continue to do PT everyday or as often as I can bear.

I have excellent ROM and my strength is building but I still experience awful pain in the top of my shoulder. I am still taking pain meds. I realise everyone's recovery is different and I wan't to remain positive.

Can anyone help?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had rotator cuff surgery (supraspinatus tendon) about the same time as you. I also have pain in my shoulder but only around 2/10 but I am  pain free for most periods. The surgeon said it would be 6-9 months to fully recover. I think you're right that everybody's recovery is different and you may have had a more serious injury or an injury that has different recovery stages. If the physio is happy with you then that is a good sign. I see my surgeon next week and I guess you'll be seeing the surgeon again soon. He'd be the one to discuss it with.

• Posted

Thanks Sparkery

i am due to see surgeon in two weeks so will discuss it. Just trying to stay positive.

What might be an issue for me is that I have small tear on other shoulder which is giving me more pain so I am using both shoulders equally. I suppose I might be doing too much. Not really thought about that until I started writing!

Glad that you are doing so well.

Thanks again.

• Posted

I had surgery about 2 years ago and everything was fine until recently. I now have severe pain and my ROM has declined rapidly without any incurred injury to my knowledge. I'm seeing my GP as soon as possible as I'm unable to drive or work

• Posted

That's sounds dreadful.  To have recovered then to relapse so badly must be devastating. I wish you luck.

If I cannot recover from mine I will have to leave work as the pain is greater there and particularly when driving.,

• Posted

I'm an optimist and hope it's not too serious. It's a big coincidence it's the same shoulder and virtually the same pain I had previously. Thanks for your good wishes 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.